Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chancellor Sunak's wife richer than the Queen

(69 Posts)
Riversidegirl Sat 28-Nov-20 12:08:30

I felt sick when I read this morning that Sunak had not declared a third of what he should have done now he's got a top job. It's not just his "investments", it should be his whole family. There he is telling us people are going to lose their homes, and that kids can go hungry, and his family has vast wealth. What does he know. See Guardian front page. "One rule for us" etc etc.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:17:40

If Mrs Sunak is richer than the Queen if its her earned or inherited income it’s hers not his.

Gone are the days when wives and their goods were husbands property.

Mwdebbie Sat 28-Nov-20 12:19:56

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2-drVYPpo

MrsThreadgoode Sat 28-Nov-20 12:25:54

I don’t understand what his wife and her family and their wealth has to do with him doing his job.
Maybe he should have listed His wealth but surely not any money belonging to her family, unless they change the rules and then everyone who is an MP will have to do it.

Jane10 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:27:18

As long as they pay the taxes they should they can have as much money as they want. That applies to everyone.

sodapop Sat 28-Nov-20 12:35:59

I agree with the last two posters, his wife has her own money nothing to do with his job as I understand it.

Lucretzia Sat 28-Nov-20 12:37:45

Totally agree. Her money. Nothing to do with him.

25Avalon Sat 28-Nov-20 12:40:44

A survey in the UK showed that on the whole white people are richer than black people but the richest people are Asian.

Alegrias2 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:41:17

Having just skimmed the post there seems to be some suggestion that Sunak didn't declare some of his wife's wealth when he should have according to the rules. I guess we will hear more about that as time goes on.

But whether his wife is richer than the queen or not is just irrelevant, and this does seem to be trying to dig up dirt just for the sake of it. We all knew they were well off. Lots of people are well off, it doesn't automatically make them bad politicians.

Cherrytree59 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:41:46

Her high tax rate will help to fill the coffers.
Nothing to do with her husband

Sunak has been an excellent chancellor during the pandemic.

Cambia Sat 28-Nov-20 12:42:05

Why so much sour grapes about the rich? So long as they pay their taxes they are helping the country and we would struggle without their money.

Riverwalk Sat 28-Nov-20 12:43:33

Gone are the days when wives and their goods were husbands property

Correct, now it's joint money within a long marriage.

So it has everything to do with his job.

Daisymae Sat 28-Nov-20 12:44:16

I think that you will find the the super rich pay rather less in taxes than you would expect.

Alegrias2 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:45:15

25Avalon

A survey in the UK showed that on the whole white people are richer than black people but the richest people are Asian.

Think again Avalon25. Of the top 9 richest billionaires in the UK in 2019, only one of them was Asian.

Best not to spread racists tropes.

Witzend Sat 28-Nov-20 12:46:10

At least they haven’t buggered off to live in a tax haven e.g. Monaco, like other very rich people who don’t feel like diminishing their multi-millions by paying U.K. taxes.
Lewis Hamilton is one who springs to mind.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:46:37

Riverwalk my husband and I have separate tax returns I do not put down his income or savings and he does not enter mine.

Alegrias2 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:47:14

Sorry - 25Avalon

Puzzler61 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:48:26

I don’t believe everything I read online from the BBC or the newspapers, but RS’s wife’s family’s wealth is old news anyway.
If he’s failed to declare his own family’s income for tax purposes that is a different matter and should be investigated. It’s never too late to pay up.

Lucretzia Sat 28-Nov-20 12:51:26

Daisymae

I think that you will find the the super rich pay rather less in taxes than you would expect.

Well it's a good job that some of our wealthy do pay tax.

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/13/richest-britain-income-tax-revenues-institute-fiscal-studies

Lucca Sat 28-Nov-20 12:51:46

25Avalon

And the point is .....?

Riverwalk Sat 28-Nov-20 12:55:09

GrannyGravy13

Riverwalk my husband and I have separate tax returns I do not put down his income or savings and he does not enter mine.

GrannyGravy but if you or your husband were in any position of public influence it would be relevant what your incomes are. I do understand the nature of separate tax returns.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Nov-20 12:58:01

Sorry Riverwalk it’s the 21st century as long as Rishi Sunak has declared his financial details to the full, in my opinion what his wife or her family have is totally irrelevant.

MaizieD Sat 28-Nov-20 13:04:18

I don’t understand what his wife and her family and their wealth has to do with him doing his job.

He is Chancellor of the Exchequer. He is responsible for making decisions on the government's business and tax policies. His wife's family are huge business owners and investors. No-one is saying that Sunak would make decisions to deliberately favour their interests, but it surely must be right that he declares these 'possible' influences on his decisions.

Also interesting to note that his father-in-law's company, Infosys, of which Sunak's wife is a major shareholder, has been a government contractor since 2015.

(I'm getting all this from the Guardian article, which I suggest people read: www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/27/huge-wealth-of-sunaks-family-not-declared-in-ministerial-register It's in other papers, too)

I don't want this to sound like the politics of envy, because although the thought of that wealth is staggering I don't particularly grudge it to them. But I do think that the milieu to which he is accustomed won't help to promote any understanding of the problems of the poor or the 'just managing'.

kircubbin2000 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:04:25

Several of you getting nippy hearing the words Asian and black.Its not racist to comment on statistics and it's well known that poor white boys do worse in many schools. Some communities have a strong work ethic and value education and some don't. An Asian I know complains about the pressure her sister puts on her kids. They must do well at any cost.The family is wealthy but miss out on other things.

Riverwalk Sat 28-Nov-20 13:05:41

I'm well are that it's the 21st century.

Apparently he hasn't declared his financial details to the full - under the Ministerial Code that of close family has also to be declared, and it's claimed that he hasn't done this.