Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why are pubs and restaurants so important?

(65 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 01-Dec-20 09:58:24

Arcadia and Debenhams have gone into administration today - about 25,000 people are affected and are likely to lose their jobs. Not immediately because Deloittes, the administrators for Arcadia are keeping the stores open, no doubt hoping that Christmas shopping will help to fill the coffers.

My question is why is so much fuss made about pubs and restaurants but very little said about shop workers. Is it because pubs and restaurants are often small businesses but people like Phillip Green (Arcadia) are very wealthy?

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 10:01:54

I don’t know what Arcadia is but I’m not surprised about Debenhams, if the one in my town is anything to go by it is dreadfully outdated, I’m ashamed to say I’ve only been in to use their loo in recent years!

glammanana Tue 01-Dec-20 10:26:45

I don't think Arcadia going into liquidation will make any difference to Phillip Green's lifestyle one little bit,but all the independent pubs and restaurants will certainly be effected and some may never reopen.I feel so sorry for all the staff and their families.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 10:31:30

Arcadia Group owns Top Shop, Top Man, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Miss Selfridge, Burtons, Evans, Outfit owned by Philip Green, Lucca.
The man with the luxury yacht and home in Monaco, on his uppers according to a report today.
Tycoon and wife had estimated fortune of £4.9bn in 2006 but it has fallen to about £950m

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:33:35

The hospitality industry employs millions from beginning of the chain right up till point of sale and end users. Many are small and independent businesses.

The Arcadia Group has been in serious financial trouble for at least the last two years prior to Covid, Philip Green could not be bothered to modernise his business module.

The Arcadia troubles have been all over the media for the last five days, particularly the black hole in the pension scheme (anyone remember Mr Green selling BHS for a penny with scant (if any) pension provision to the workforce)

jaylucy Tue 01-Dec-20 10:35:49

When the prospect that Arcadia will go into administration was covered in the BBC news yesterday, it was said that Philip Green was in the South of France and showed a picture of his ginormous yacht - so no, not affecting him in any way.
Sadly, most of Debenham's concessions are Arcadia companies - Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, Burtons etc. I have never been able to understand why , in my nearest town, that there is a Debenhams and, until recently, separate shops for the Arcadia ones . When BHS was open, even that had a Dorothy Perkins concession in there - so that made 3 places for Dotty Ps!

Lucretzia Tue 01-Dec-20 10:36:59

Tycoon and wife had estimated fortune of £4.9bn in 2006 but it has fallen to about £950m

Oh dear, Callistemon!

How on earth will they manage?!

Maybe they could sell their yacht. Allegedly worth £100 million

That will boost their pensions

Redhead56 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:37:32

The last I heard was Philip Green was on his luxury yacht in the med. I don’t think he concerns himself with people losing jobs. He has his hands in many pies and very lucrative one too.

MaizieD Tue 01-Dec-20 10:37:33

Arcadia is Philip Green's empire, Lucca. Top Shop, Burtons, Next and a whole load of others.

It's the demise of the High Street which has been long forecast, but what really worries me is what the future holds for those who have lost, and will lose, their jobs as a result. Large parts of the country still haven't recovered from the loss of heavy industry and coal mining, 30+ years ago. Add on to that the retail jobs being lost and, what are these people going to live on?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:41:24

MaizieD I do not think Next is part of Arcadia Group. (I hope not)

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 10:43:20

Callistemon

Arcadia Group owns Top Shop, Top Man, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Miss Selfridge, Burtons, Evans, Outfit owned by Philip Green, Lucca.
The man with the luxury yacht and home in Monaco, on his uppers according to a report today.
^Tycoon and wife had estimated fortune of £4.9bn in 2006 but it has fallen to about £950m^

These stores are in the Arcadia Group. Grannygravy

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:46:09

According to Google Next is nothing to do with Arcadia.

On a totally personal note I shall be mortified if Top Shop close permanently as it’s the only place I can purchase perfect fit skinny jeans sad

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:47:52

Callistemon yes I know that thank you, I was responding to MaizieD who included Next in her list wink

silversurf Tue 01-Dec-20 10:48:26

Being selfish.Because my son’s job depends on pubs, he delivers for a wholesale drinks company. Been on furlough twice, for three months in all.
His employers will be lucky to survive if things don’t get back to normal.
I also feel so sorry for the shop workers. So many jobs lost and lives ruined. Poverty and suicides to follow.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:49:19

No idea where the wink emoji came from I am obviously losing my ability to type/multitask on my iPhone

glammanana Tue 01-Dec-20 10:50:20

GG13 I don't know what group Next belongs to all I can say is if it too goes under I will certainly know the world is against me.

kircubbin2000 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:50:45

They do seem to be fixated on going to the pub! I read that about 20% of the population are alcohol dependent but there does seem to be a culture of going to the pub to watch football etc.
Feel sorry for landlords but I wouldn't miss pubs at all as I am never in one.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:51:33

I am in the vulnerable group married to an older man which puts him in the vulnerable group. This virus has a 99.4% recovery rate and we are literally killing our Country.

I am perfectly willing to stay home to let the UK rebuild itself.

Blinko Tue 01-Dec-20 10:51:50

In view of his demonstrably couldn't care less attitude to the plight of Arcadia staff, it could be said that Green is the unacceptable face of capitalism.

What an unpleasant creature.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:54:50

Local pubs are/can be the heart of the community. Some have little shops attached, for folks living alone they can be a lifeline.

They are not just about alcohol, they sell coffees teas and soft drinks and the profit margin on non-alcoholic beverages and food is usually greater than alcohol.

Lillie Tue 01-Dec-20 10:54:53

It's just accelerating what was going to happen to the high street shops anyway. Next got its act together a long while ago with the directory and offering financial services. The others rested on their laurels.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 10:56:50

GrannyGravy13

Callistemon yes I know that thank you, I was responding to MaizieD who included Next in her list wink

Oh, sorry, I thought you'd missed my list at the top of the thread

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:58:45

This according to Google is the ownership structure of Next.

Looks like pension fund/ISA investment companies have a big stake.

They have diversified and hopefully will be able to weather the Covid storm

paddyanne Tue 01-Dec-20 10:59:35

I have no worries about MR Green ..f he didn't lose his knighthood ove BHS he damn well should have .The pensions are a worry in Arcadia will he do the same thing again?
As to bars and restaurants ,yes they have been badly hit but so have millions of others who are never mentioned ,all those self employed people who have n't "qualified" for any financial help since March.Many at their wits end,no income and no hope of any .
As some on here will know we are photographers and a massive number of folk in not just photography but a lot of other small /one man busnesses haven't made a penny since the first lockdown.All the events suppliers I know are almost suicidal
.This is the quietest time of the year for the wedding industry so the venue dressers and events mangers etc dont have a hope in hell of making anything back .When the pubs and restaurants reopen people will flood in that, wont happen for our industry.
I'm thankful we're at the end of our careers,we were retiring next year anyway,its been brought forward because of covid but we have lost tens of thousands of pounds this year my heart goes out to the young folk who enthusiastically opened their wee businesses to this disaster and have earned nothing to put in the pot for the lean time .

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:00:57

DD and I are going to buy multiple pairs of skinny jeans online today from Top Shop that should see us for a couple of years and give us time to try out different brands!!