Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why are pubs and restaurants so important?

(66 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 01-Dec-20 09:58:24

Arcadia and Debenhams have gone into administration today - about 25,000 people are affected and are likely to lose their jobs. Not immediately because Deloittes, the administrators for Arcadia are keeping the stores open, no doubt hoping that Christmas shopping will help to fill the coffers.

My question is why is so much fuss made about pubs and restaurants but very little said about shop workers. Is it because pubs and restaurants are often small businesses but people like Phillip Green (Arcadia) are very wealthy?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 15:35:43

No worries MaizieD

Callistemon yes I think it was originally owned by Hepworths who also bought out Kendall’s.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 15:38:15

I think it’s best that I do not post my opinions on Philip Green as I feel I would be on the ^naughty step^angry

petra Tue 01-Dec-20 15:43:21

growstuff

Do Wetherspoons pubs sell Scotch eggs?

Perhaps scotch eggs are the cure all. After all, if you just have a beer you'll probably catch the virus. But if you have a scotch egg with it, your ok.

GillT57 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:28:47

I do most of my shopping online, so perhaps I am the cause of the decline of the High Street, but as I said previously, I have never likes shopping as a leisure activity. The High Street as we know it has been failing for a long time, pre-Brexit, pre-Covid. I do not use Amazon for everything either; most shops which are on the ball offer an online service, John Lewis, Next, M&S etc., plus many small retailers which is my usual choice. I prefer to try on clothing at home, instead of a smelly changing room, and then either keep or return the items. I do click and collect if the postage will be too much, and my local independent book shop offers this service. Frankly, lock down or not, I prefer to do my shopping on my laptop in the comfort of my own home. Debenhams has long been failing; neither cheap enough to compete with the pile it high stores, or expensive and luxury enough to be a treat to visit. Phillip Green and Mike Ashley are to me symbols of the vulgar, greedy philosophy started by Thatcher and are not people to be admired or applauded and certainly not given knighthoods. I shall not miss their contribution to retail, but feel heart sore for those who have lost their jobs in this time of approaching exceedingly high unemployment.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:43:02

Tony Blair knighted Philip Green!

Dinahmo Tue 01-Dec-20 17:00:47

GG13 We all make mistakes.

I've just signed a 38 Degrees petition about the Arcadia pension fund shortfall - £350 million.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:09:34

Thanks for the info on the petition Dinahmo I will search it out and sign.

PamelaJ1 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:20:51

I think the difference in attitude/ reporting is simply down to the fact that Debenhams is owned by faceless people and Arcadia is owned by a a nasty man with form ( allegedly!)
It is no reflection on the staff who are not only losing their jobs but are likely to have a much more difficult retirement because of the mismanagement of their pension funds.

So many pubs and restaurants are run by owners who also work in their business and can’t pay their overheads so the sympathy goes out to them as well as their staff. When/if they go to the wall they won’t have a yacht to laze on.

bikergran Tue 01-Dec-20 18:49:54

Katy1949

Your words struck a chord.

My dad is 85 he has Parkinson's but its managed quite well.

He used to pop to the local pub for a pint on Sunday and meet up with likewise. Sit down and put the world to right.

Then off home, where mum would have been cooking tea.

But now mum has been gone 3 months, his life long pal for almost 70 yrs..

He started going to the pub a few more days of the week. Just for company a bit of chit chat but then back home to the empty flat.

So yes the local pubs are not merely drinking getting drunk places, they can be the hub for a community.

He now sits in the flat, we visit as often as we can, luckily we only live 4 miles away.

But all he wants is a pint at the pub with his friends.(other than wanting mum back of course)

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-20 19:28:58

He is so poor he has had to sell his house - the one in the US, and his wife is trying to sell her house in Belgravia, while he has given up his permanent suite in the Dorchester and sold, for development the garages in London where he keeps all his cars, gone too, are his security pack.

The tears are pouring down my face, poor man, he is finally discovering that if you kick anyone and everyone who might be a problem on the way up, they all manage to enjoy kicking you on your way down.

Now only worth £950 million? I am sobbing into my hamkerchief. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 19:43:27

biker How sad. I'm sorry about your mum. Hopefully it won't be long before your dad can get out for his pint and a chat soon. We really miss going to our local. It's a quite a little community down there.

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-20 19:46:10

Pubs and restaurants are so important because they probably employ more people than big retail and that pubs and restaurants have been far more affected by COVID shutdowns than many shops that were able to trade through all the lockdowns.

bikergran Tue 01-Dec-20 19:52:37

Yes Kate When it is safe to do so I'm sure it will be a lifeline to many.

farview Tue 01-Dec-20 21:53:24

Some of our friends..now on their own since losing their wives...some of their children living overseas..the pub is their lifeline for a laugh ,a chat, company..pubs are a British institution and well loved and needed..

petra Tue 01-Dec-20 22:05:18

I suppose if your unfortunate enough not to have experienced the wonderful camaraderie, friendship, help that a good local pub can give you, you wouldn't understand.