Gransnet forums

News & politics

Presenter Kay Burley taken off the air by SKY news

(92 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 23:04:44

She was replaced by another presenter this morning. She broke Covid rules by having a 60th pre-birthday bash with a dozen SKY colleagues in a London restaurant & then continued the party at her home.

She’s apologised profusely for ‘inadvertently’ breaching the rules.

SKY news say she won’t be back until next year.

Beth Rigby was there too. They’ve given a hard line to other rule breakers ‘are you going to resign over this?’ for similar breaches.

Wonder if she’ll resign? No, I don’t think so either ...

paddyanne Wed 09-Dec-20 11:17:29

Well if Bojo had nipped it in the bud whn Cummings went tp specsavers people might be taking it more seriously

lemongrove Wed 09-Dec-20 11:20:39

Cummings had little effect on what people do or don’t do,
There are very many who have flouted rules and ignored guidelines from the very start, and it’s just got worse as time has gone on.
Neither did they ‘copy’ what the Scottish MP Ferrier did or anybody else.

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 11:23:20

lemongrove

I can’t stand Burley or Rigby, the remote comes in handy the second they appear on the screen. Prime examples of interviewers/ journalists who believe they are more important than anyone they talk to on screen.

Completely irrelevant but interesting that the German for tv remote control is ein Handy.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Dec-20 11:26:00

Why do these people think that they're above others ? angry
Anyone like this is obnoxious in my books. Their money and status's don't stop them from getting Covid, or worse, passing it on.

wendybiv Wed 09-Dec-20 11:33:44

Quite right in my opinion. angry

Witzend Wed 09-Dec-20 11:36:09

I do love the way such people are full of apologies once they’ve been found out!

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 11:59:44

She said the party met all the regulations. Probably in an eat out to help out way. I’ve been in a situation where I’ve been waiting for a bus and had to nip into a hotel to use the loo as I knew I wouldn’t last the journey. I would assume that when tv presenters are out and about interviewing people they have access to toilets? Whether they’re in hotels etc I wouldn’t know. I’m not saying what she did was right. Far from it. But we have lost an interviewer that holds politicians to account: a rarity these days and something that we badly need at this moment in time when we need a bit of truth from politicians.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 12:06:54

Some posters seem to be missing the point that she invited some of the guests back to her home. Is this allowed?

jaylucy Wed 09-Dec-20 12:09:33

You just have to wonder what world some people live in that makes them believe that they can exclusively do what they want!
As for Rita Ora , not surprised!
She was supposed to have been performing at a concert the summer before last in a park in the town. a week before the concert by her was cancelled (due to contractual clashes - as if it couldn't have been picked up before then!)
Wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't posted on Twitter at about the same time about what a hard time she had had while working overseas ending with "Time for a holiday" Then also posted photos of herself and friends on a sunny beach , in the pool etc on the same day she was supposed to have been performing at the concert!
She really cares for others - yeah right!

timetogo2016 Wed 09-Dec-20 12:11:01

These celebs can break the rules because they are so up themselves and can afford to pay the fine.
A bunch of over payed hyporites.

Sarnia Wed 09-Dec-20 12:12:20

I hope Sky sack the lot of them straight away. None of them will apologise to those lesser mortals who follow the guidelines. What a patronising bunch of morons. Stood on the moral high ground when the politicians break Covid rules but all mealy mouthed with insincere apologies when they are found out. Plenty of people looking for work. Fill their seats with some of them.

vegansrock Wed 09-Dec-20 12:19:30

None of this was as bad as Cummings and the effect he had, given that he was writing the policy. He should have been sacked along with subsequent infringers. The fact he was patted on the head and it was all fine, did have an influence on others .

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 13:54:55

Marydoll

Some posters seem to be missing the point that she invited some of the guests back to her home. Is this allowed?

I didn’t know this. That is unforgivable.

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 14:00:17

I am fed up with people giving Cummings as an excuse. Beth Rigsby is now shown as a hypocrite. If one person jumps off the roof are we all so stupid as to follow?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 14:01:58

She had a 60th birthday meal in a restaurant inside with five other people, not from her household.

They then went back to her home to continue the party.

I am waiting to see the pictures of the journos and paparazzi camped outside her home a la DC?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 14:03:08

25Avalon totally agree, warped logic to blame others for your own breach of guidelines/breaking a law.

NotTooOld Wed 09-Dec-20 14:09:01

Unbelievable. angry

Kamiso Wed 09-Dec-20 14:16:04

Is she the one whose husband has COVID?

Did anyone you know copy DC? No one I know is that dim.

How is that relevant to Kay Burley’s Behaviour?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 14:19:01

No Kamiso it’s Kate Garraway’s husband who has Covid, he has been ill and in a coma since April, she said the other week they are trying to bring him round but without much success.

quizqueen Wed 09-Dec-20 14:21:32

I don't like the woman but she certainly looks good for 60!

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 14:24:00

She does look good for 60. But I was prepared (until I heard the details) to forgive her if the cause of her downfall was a weak 60 year old bladder!

Jaberwok Wed 09-Dec-20 14:39:05

Maybe some members of the general public might have used D C as an excuse, but a highly intelligent, well educated intellectual? I don't think so!

vegansrock Wed 09-Dec-20 14:52:39

You can’t pretend the Cummings effect did not happen, much as his supporters on here tried to brush it under the carpet. No it’s no excuse and two wrongs don’t make a right, but the fact that he was the power behind the throne making government policies made it worse. You could think well, if the governments chief advisor gets support for outrageously breaking the rules then why am I bothering? I know for sure many people thought that.

MayBee70 Wed 09-Dec-20 15:05:42

I don’t really understand all of the ‘I don’t like her’ comments. Is it the way she speaks, looks: her interviewing technique?

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 15:09:44

DC has gone. Like the parrot in the Monty Python Sketch.