Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson: no-deal Brexit now a 'strong possibility'

(124 Posts)
trisher Fri 11-Dec-20 10:18:20

What ever happened to the oven ready deal?
Oh Mr Johnson what shall I do?
You promised us an exit deal
Now it seems it wasn't true
Take us back to the EU
As quickly as you can
Oh Mr Johnson you're a very naughty man!
More verses welcome ! Or other appropriae jingles!

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:16:22

Yeah, I suspect I would feel more confident about them a) if the government's 'solution' (brand swapping) was a safe solution (it's not), b) with a different government in power (this lot have repeatedly shown they are incapable of organising anything without fucking it up) and c) if the consequences were not so severe if we don't get them.

I am less fussed about the other meds he takes as they can be brand swapped so no better chance of having something.

Queues are in part due to Brexit -https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/uk-ports-gridlocked-and-retailers-struggling-as-brexit-deadline-looms

Sarnia Fri 11-Dec-20 14:16:38

Whitewavemark2

The idiot has now suggested that he meets up separately with the German and French heads of state.

He just doesn’t get it.

In a way I am beginning to think that he is worse than Trump with the damage he is inflicting on his country.

The lunchtime news said the EU have vetoed his meetings with them.
He is a bumbler whenever he opens his mouth. He rarely has all the facts at his disposal and seems to go missing frequently. The trouble is, if he goes, who will replace him. None of them are very inspiring.

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:16:43

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/uk-ports-gridlocked-and-retailers-struggling-as-brexit-deadline-looms

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:17:18

Nezumi65

I wasn't reassured by that at all. Saw her at the weekend. The reality is medicines are part of a just in time supply chain and if there are huge delays at ports (likely under the No Deal scenario) then medicines will be delayed.

The govt advice in the event of a delay due to Brexit is to brand swap. Since the government is so keen on Australia style arrangements these days they should read this from Australia on why brand swapping increases risk www.epilepsy.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Fact-Sheet-Switching-Brands.pdf

I feel exactly the same. All concentration is on covid, but I am concerned for all the million and millions of other vital drugs dispensed in the U.K. that are imported.

The point is though,

Why on earth should we feel worried like this?

I hate it and will never forgive or forget this disaster.

GillT57 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:19:05

Well I was embarrassed for hi, and for us who are allegedly represented by this lying incompetent second rate journalist. His sister said a few months ago that he was in hock to his mates, the disaster capitalists as quoted by Nezumi65. Anyone else notice there is no more talk of sunlit uplands/fairy dust/unicorns for all? Now we are getting veiled hints such as 'some difficulties' a 'few price rises' etc., etc. I can't even be bothered to try to debate with foolish comments from Nannan2 and others who still cling on to the belief that BJ and his pals actually care about them, are actually doing their best for the country, yeah right. Please no more crap about we managed in the war, I can't stand it. Last night's dinner was a humiliating debacle.

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:24:42

I've told my son that as part of his xmas present I'll pay for his Irish passport application. He works in a sector where freedom of movement is essential, so thank god he is half Irish.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:30:39

Yes I think that a lot of brexiters have ensured that they have an EU passport. Makes you want to spit.

GillT57 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:38:11

I hate it and will never forgive or forget this disaster.. same here! The cluster at the ports is little to do with covid, although that is being used as a convenient excuse. It is due to retailers in UK stocking up their warehouses before this economic disaster hits in January. Retailers have said this, road haulage contractors have said it, but what do they know? Our pathetic lying PM and his sycophantic cabinet will blame it all on covid, or Macron, or Merkel, and worse than that, a lot of the British public will believe them.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:16:46

Yes, the PM last night couldn't bring himself to use the woirds "No deal" so used the confusing term "Australian-style deal" instead.

Why couldn't he call a spade a spade? Too honest for him?

If people who voted for both Brexit and this Government find their medications are delayed I hope they come to realise that they had a great deal to do with the situation they find themselves in.

The decision to have a referendum on such a complicated subject was always misguided IMHO but if we were to have one, then it is a pity that it should have been timed to take place after the details of the deal/No deal were finalised so that voters could take a more informed decision on the facts.

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:20:55

Oh they'll blame the EU Ramblingrose. Whatever happens now it will be all the EUs fault. It will be their fault when Northern Ireland and Scotland leave as well.

There was a great German MEP on BBC this morning. He seemed to have the camera pointing at his ceiling and up his nose grin but he just said 'there is no Australia deal, they don't have a deal' and went on to say don't let the govt get away with calling it that.

Even the Australians are trying to get a better deal - and have rather good deals with their closest neighbours.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 16:21:05

If you believe Paddyanne’s friend of a friend chinese whispers scenario then I guess you are prepared to believe anything.

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:30:34

Nezumi’s post at 14:16 mentions the following ”b) with a different government in power (this lot have repeatedly shown they are incapable of organising anything without fucking it up)”

Be careful what you wish for.....you could end up with a Labour administration like here in Wales....??????

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:33:20

Lemongrove......Send reinforcements, we’re going to advance!

Send three ‘n’fourpence, we’re going to a dance......!

MaizieD Fri 11-Dec-20 16:34:58

lemongrove

If you believe Paddyanne’s friend of a friend chinese whispers scenario then I guess you are prepared to believe anything.

So funny coming from a person who believes a proven liar. Calling him a liar isn't even actionable, because it is well documented that he is a liar..

And every word of that account rings true; he has lots of form for tactless 'banter'...

Apparently he wanted to speak to Merkel and Macron on separate phone calls and they wouldn't agree to it. EU completely fed up with his childish posturing...

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:39:59

Yeah I have no idea whether the scenario is true or not but it is certainly believable. I immediately though of this www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/boris-johnson-poem-burma-rudyard-kipling-mandalay-a7975246.html not to mention his Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe gaffe (with awful consequences)

David0205 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:41:08

Don’t despair yet, although the EU wont speak to BJ today they are meeting on Sunday when anything might happen and then parliament has to endorse the decision and that is also unpredictable, as has been said only 40 Tories have to change sides.
A week is a long time in politics.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 16:48:48

Ah MaizieD I see you do believe the chinese whispers?
Why am I not surprised?

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:50:51

lemongrove

Ah MaizieD I see you do believe the chinese whispers?
Why am I not surprised?

The bit about talking direct to Macron and Merkel is reported by the BBC www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55271914

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 16:52:54

I was talking about the Paddyanne scenario.

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:58:09

She says the account 'rings true', not that it is true.

I agree. I have no idea whether it is true or not, but given the two incidents (had a lot to choose from) mentioned in my post it certainly does ring true.

MaizieD Fri 11-Dec-20 17:03:24

She says the account 'rings true', not that it is true.

Thankyou, Nezumi65 grin

So Yah Boo Sucks to you, lemon...

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:05:17

If we want more Johnson gaffes, this one, about the Churchill bust, has ensured he's got off to a bad start with the Biden camp (never mind trying to bin the GFA) www.nytimes.com/2019/07/27/opinion/sunday/boris-johnson-churchill-britain-trump-brexit.html

He's a complete horror show.

lemongrove Fri 11-Dec-20 17:06:32

? Maizie

David0205 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:57:33

As had been expected Sterling did fall today at close of Market it was 0.5p lower, a modest fall, all eyes on trading on Monday, very unpredictable.

Nezumi65 Fri 11-Dec-20 18:00:13

The unpredictability helps Johnson’s disaster capitalist chums. Not so good for people relying on pensions etc. All very predictable. If anyone can be arsed to go back through my Twitter feed (I certainly can’t), this was my prediction for now - no deal.

Kerching go the hedge funds.