Gransnet forums

News & politics

The NFU have been found out

(40 Posts)
GillT57 Sat 12-Dec-20 11:41:55

We are frequently assured that farmers knew what they were voting for when the majority of them voted out. So, why is this being kept secret? It has been found that many are pushing for the introduction of neonicotinoids after Brexit, because as we all know, those pesky EU people with their health and safety laws don't permit their use. For reference: George Monbiot on Twitter This is massive and horrific @NFU TWEETS is secretly lobbying the government to allow #Neonicotinoids pesticides to be reintroduced after Brexit. It tells its members "Please refrain from sharing this on social media"

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 22:44:22

?

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 16:03:25

Callistemon

^If this poster was in the USA why would they be promoting a petition calling for an inquiry into grooming gangs?^
confused
I cant see any reference to that on this thread and have never seen any other posts by this poster.

Try this, Callistomen

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1283247-Petition-asking-for-Public-Inquiry-into-Grooming-Gangs

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 15:31:02

If this poster was in the USA why would they be promoting a petition calling for an inquiry into grooming gangs?
confused
I cant see any reference to that on this thread and have never seen any other posts by this poster.

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 15:28:31

No need to be sneery though with your of course everyone realises that!! - because actually they don't.
I'm not being sneery at all.

I just don't believe people do not understand what seed means

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 15:03:04

Are you in the USA George444?

If this poster was in the USA why would they be promoting a petition calling for an inquiry into grooming gangs?

I think they're trying to pre-empt a post Brexit lifting of the EU ban. But I'm curious as to whether the post was a personal one or a cut and paste job.

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 13:48:29

Are you in the USA George444?

In the main, this is banned here in the UK. In exceptional circumstances it can be allowed, as in the case of oilseed rape, otherwise there would be no crop.

It is not in general use in the UK because of the EU ban.
We in the UK will have to remain vigilant that the ban is continued.

David0205 Mon 04-Jan-21 13:22:52

There is no definitive conclusion but Neonicotinoids affect ALL insects and their use is highly suspect. If they are used it should be on a very restricted basis only.

MaizieD Mon 04-Jan-21 13:00:28

As a bee keeper and farmer its important to keep Neonicotinoids out of the environment and the food chain,

Is this you speaking personally, George4444?

If not, could you cite your source please?

George4444 Mon 04-Jan-21 12:35:15

Seed is coated in Neonicotinoids. When the seedling grows the chemical is transferred into the plant. A creature eating the seedling is poisoned by the chemical. Unfortunately the chemical also ends up in the pollen of the plant. So impacting bees. The more the persistent Neonicotinoid chemical accumulates the worst for the bees. As a bee keeper and farmer its important to keep Neonicotinoids out of the environment and the food chain, Even if that crop is grown for animal fodder (which is the back door for use of such chemicals).

David0205 Sun 27-Dec-20 17:47:45

The agreement was not just for food, it included seeds, nursery stock and other plant material that have to meet EU standards.
Seed potatoes are different, import from outside the EU is prohibited, as the UK is leaving, agreement has not been reached yet. As we are now negotiating sensibly as long as seed potato producers agree to follow EU regulations they will be allowed, otherwise they will be prohibited.

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Dec-20 15:52:55

Did you read the whole thread Callistemon ?
Please don't ridicule those trying to add info to growstuff's post for those who didn't realise why seed potatoes were excluded from the food deal.
It is obvious when you know... but as I said above, someone on the radio the other day didn't understand the difference.

I rather stupidly thought I was clarifying. Obviously I wasn't. Fair enough.

No need to be sneery though with your of course everyone realises that!! - because actually they don't.

Callistemon Sun 27-Dec-20 15:10:36

NotSpaghetti

Seed potatoes are seed not foodstuffs.

Well I never!
Coming from a farming family I never knew that

Of course everyone realises that!!
Why won't the EU accept them was the question I asked paddyanne. It is a huge part of the Scottish economy and farming industry EU-wide.

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Dec-20 14:48:49

Yes, exactly Growstuff - I was trying to explain your explanation! Lol! I even heard someone on the radio the other day saying they were just small potatoes so should be foods!

lemongrove Sat 26-Dec-20 21:00:10

Callistemon

I think most farmers realise that a widespread use of Neonicotinoids would, in fact, be bad for their industry in the long-term as insects are needed to pollinate crops.
However, whilst not desirable, a very limited and strictly controlled use is sometimes needed.

Farmers are not stupid, irresponsible oafs.

Well done Callistemon for finding the real story.??

growstuff Sat 26-Dec-20 20:15:20

NotSpaghetti

Exactly! That's why they're not covered.

NotSpaghetti Sat 26-Dec-20 20:08:44

Fennel Sat 26-Dec-20 18:35:20

what do you expect when our farmers are going to have to grow enough veg and fruit to support our population of 70 million or more?
without help from immigrants?

growstuff Sat 26-Dec-20 17:31:57

The Scottish seed potato exports to the EU and NI are worth about £13.5 million (not hundreds of millions).

It's because the UK has to be given third country status to be able to export foodstuffs to the EU. It will automatically gain that status on 1 January 2021, but seed potatoes aren't covered. As far as I can tell, a separate agreement will need to be negotiated.

Eloethan Sat 26-Dec-20 17:15:35

This is the sort of thing that happens when people talk about getting rid of "red tape".

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 17:06:05

I did hear that, paddyanne

Why won't the EU accept them any longer? They will be no different to those produced previously.

They are a vital part of the Scottish and North of England economy and I can't understand why.

paddyanne Sat 26-Dec-20 14:27:43

I dont know about ALL farmers but Scottish farmers who supply vast amounts of seed potatoes to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds have not been protected in the "deal" they have overnight lost all their customers.Well done Bojo..yet another reason for Independence

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 14:12:02

I think most farmers realise that a widespread use of Neonicotinoids would, in fact, be bad for their industry in the long-term as insects are needed to pollinate crops.
However, whilst not desirable, a very limited and strictly controlled use is sometimes needed.

Farmers are not stupid, irresponsible oafs.

MaizieD Sat 26-Dec-20 13:23:52

Thanks, Callistomen

Callistemon Sat 26-Dec-20 13:18:42

Of course countries are trying to find loopholes when they have a local problem which does need drastic action to nip in the bud before it spreads and crops are devastated and people starve.

As someone pointed out the other day re Macron and the lorry drivers - they are exercising their sovereignty.

petra Sat 26-Dec-20 13:15:31

Callistemon
Thank you for finding the truth.