Gransnet forums

News & politics

New EU Treaty - a good deal or not?

(840 Posts)
vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 07:15:10

I thought this deserved its own thread. This deal is about to be announced and I’ve just heard Farage on the radio claiming it will be sellout. Trying to stir the pot already. Just wondered how it will be spun. There will be a lot of relieved businesses and relief that there is no deal at least.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:26:16

As nobody knows what's in it a bit difficult to comment
Cant be they only one that is so sick of this that I am passed caring
Boris hasn't held out this long for nothing so presuming it will be the best that can be done
This year has perhaps shown us that some things are more important

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Dec-20 07:26:46

Thank you for starting this thread vegansrock
I'm very relieved (so far, at least)

vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 07:27:54

A good deal is one that both parties are happy with, or both sides can claim as a victory. Let’s keep fingers crossed.

oldgoat Thu 24-Dec-20 07:34:09

I can't help thinking that whatever deal is negotiated, it won't be as good as the one we already had. What madness.

vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 07:39:40

The pictures from Dover have shown us what chaos looks like when trade is held up. Hopefully that has given the negotiators a kick up the backside to push this over the line.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:41:35

Of course the deal will be criticised and nobody will be happy about it but at least it will be over a s we can get going working out how to love according to the new regulations.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:42:12

Sorry. Typing in bed.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Dec-20 07:43:09

Yes, fingers crossed.
oldgoat I totally agree, but we can't keep going over all that.

NannyJan53 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:04:38

oldgoat I totally agree also. I said the same on a FB page I am on. The first reply I had was 'rubbish' but he didn't say why"

Urmstongran Thu 24-Dec-20 09:10:13

I’m glad a deal is about to be announced. If both sides feel they’ve ‘lost’ something they wanted that’s good negotiation.

To be honest after 4+ years im sick of talking about it now. Negotiations will doubtless go on for months as and when but not big news headlines all the time.

Brexit is done next week. We are out. Finally.

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:17:43

U, love that illustration. With that who needs words? Thanks.

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:18:05

I just feel sad listening to it all tbh. It sounds a hard Brexit and not being a billionaire I find it difficult to see any gain at all. The populism that comes with it just makes my teeth grind.

Also still bemused that I can no longer just take my dog to Northern Ireland (yes I know I can still take him, but there is now a whole layer of difficulty there wasn’t before). I notice as well that Northern Ireland is now much more aligned with Eire than here (delivery charges etc) and I hope that doesn’t lead to problems there.

Am going to put my head down, carry on learning French and read French newspapers I think smile

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:18:44

This is how I feel

petra Thu 24-Dec-20 09:21:15

Urmstongran
Lovely image. Thank you ?

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:21:24

Clearly economically we’re going to worse off for a long time. I don’t feel emotional about that though.

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 09:22:54

I agree Jane10 at least we will have some sort of structure now. Not sure if I need to learn how to love again though tchgrin

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:24:48

I shut my service providing business in the autumn - sounds as if that was the right thing to do.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:26:00

I see it as the time to begin to rebuild our relationship.

This treaty will not be static and closer a relationship will be built.

Lucretzia Thu 24-Dec-20 09:26:36

Economically, the whole world is a disaster zone. Covid has caused and still continue to cause far more problems

I'll be glad when it's all over

Love your picture , Urmstongran !

NannyJan53 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:37:43

I don't understand that picture Urmston, we have always been in the world? hmm

westendgirl Thu 24-Dec-20 09:42:38

The Devil is in the detail, I suppose. I hear that some MPs have groups of legal eagles ready to go through the deal with a fine toothcomb.
We'll have to see .

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:50:02

I still think that the reason Boris got a landslide last year was due to the slogan 'Get brexit done'. It wasn't that people really wanted to leave the EU, just that they were so sick of the endless tit for tat briefing and counterbriefing going on. Our news was dominated by it and the people in the street just wanted to move on. This came as surprise to the intelligentsia and London centric media.
We're out. We just have to know how to live with it. (Awful typo in my previous post!) we don't have to love it just get on with it.

trueblue22 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:56:43

This is how I feel....

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:03:04

The reason Johnson got a landslide is because of the FPTP system. If we used proportional representation we would not have seen that.

I agree that populism and sticking one to the intelligentsia is behind Brexit and we’ll all have to suffer for it. Ironically it has given power to the far right of the Tory Party who do not give a shite about the poor.