Gransnet forums

News & politics

New EU Treaty - a good deal or not?

(841 Posts)
vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 07:15:10

I thought this deserved its own thread. This deal is about to be announced and I’ve just heard Farage on the radio claiming it will be sellout. Trying to stir the pot already. Just wondered how it will be spun. There will be a lot of relieved businesses and relief that there is no deal at least.

quizqueen Thu 24-Dec-20 10:16:32

Unfortunately, I think any trade deal the EU has agreed that it's reasonably happy to sign is not going to be that great for us. I'll reserve full judgement until I see the actual details but, if it means that EU can overrule us or demand payments in any way, then that's not Brexit.

I would have preferred walking away with no deal and then, if the EU wanted to trade with a totally independent country, we could have told them our rules next year- take it or leave it. I think Boris has probably bottled it but he'll dress it up as a victory.

trisher Thu 24-Dec-20 10:31:05

Well let's hope for the NE it means people like Nissan will stay. There's not going to be much else left up here once Covid has finished. Tourist industry, foreign students, small businesses are all up shit creek, maybe this will be the paddle.

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:44:39

Hope so. I heard on the news that the deal with mean a loss of growth in leaving the EU will be 4%. A US trade deal would add 0.4%. Communities really need large employers like Nissan to stay.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:49:42

Possibly got a landslide because Labour as usual could not make a stand one way or the other Corbyn was a liability and quite frankly labour have had very limited time in power in the last 60 years Apart from the Blair years.

Nezumi65 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:52:19

The two Party system doesn’t benefit the country.

lemongrove Thu 24-Dec-20 11:55:16

vegansrock

A good deal is one that both parties are happy with, or both sides can claim as a victory. Let’s keep fingers crossed.

I agree.
It’s a business negotiation which means ( obvs) that no one side can get it all their own way, but have to inch closer together until they can agree.
I just hope it’s def announced today.

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 15:13:09

Damn right Jane10

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:14:43

The deal is done!

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:18:29

Thank goodness for that!!!

LauraNorder Thu 24-Dec-20 15:20:37

Woohoo ?

GillT57 Thu 24-Dec-20 15:21:39

well if it is a deal that both sides are equally happy/unhappy with then I will be happy with that because it means that one side hasn't got their own way. I am still, and will remain, very unhappy that we have been brought to this situation by a handful of people who managed to convince a lot of other people, but so be it. I still think that Johnson will quit in the New Year having 'Got Brexit done'.

LauraNorder Thu 24-Dec-20 15:29:52

Every jot and tittle

Grannynannywanny Thu 24-Dec-20 15:30:10

I’m sure it’ll be a world beating, tip top deal like no other. Then again it might bear more than a striking resemblance to the deal that was on the table nearly 2 years ago that was completely unacceptable.

Welshwife Thu 24-Dec-20 15:32:01

I am just so sad that Britain has not agreed to continue taking part in the Erasmus scheme - are they afraid students going to live and study in another country will open their eyes too much?

petra Thu 24-Dec-20 15:37:40

The English Sparkling wine is flowing ???
Could not be happier. ???

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 16:08:48

Are we there yet?

Perhaps we should turn on the news.

Galaxy Thu 24-Dec-20 16:13:15

Yes the erasmus scheme is such a loss.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:13:52

I was surprised re Erasmus but there's nothing stopping students and universities arranging exchanges if they want to it just won't be under that particular scheme.
DSiL studied at a Spanish University back in the 50s. It's possible.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:15:34

Welshwife

I am just so sad that Britain has not agreed to continue taking part in the Erasmus scheme - are they afraid students going to live and study in another country will open their eyes too much?

Me too. What reason have they given for it? Did anyone notice that Johnson said we would not be tied by constraints of conservation regarding fishing? I found that rather worrying. And that we’ll have lots of fish to eat albeit being the sort of fish that only Europeans like.

Nightsky2 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:16:06

Yippee, ??.

Welshwife Thu 24-Dec-20 16:16:40

It may well have something to do with fees paid etc and of course it became an easy thing to choose to do.

Nanof3 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:19:41

The best Christmas present, the EU bullies finally realised they were not going to win. Well done Boris and the team!

Galaxy Thu 24-Dec-20 16:22:23

Just so sad.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:24:56

What ever deal he had struck would not be good enough for some
But Boris has had to deal with more than any pm since Churchill
Well done now let’s get on with beating this ruddy virus

Chestnut Thu 24-Dec-20 16:26:52

Great images urmstongran and trueblue22. My sentiments exactly.

Here's my contribution on this happy day. Well done Boris!