Gransnet forums

News & politics

Racism alive and well in the USofA ..

(43 Posts)
rosecarmel Mon 28-Dec-20 21:32:32

Below is a viral video of an encounter between two men .. It contains racial slurs, strong language and violence ..

BLM

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXrewjTN_Y

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 16:55:31

How many years has it now taken to track down the killers of Steven Lawrence ?

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 16:56:12

And why ?

Galaxy Tue 29-Dec-20 16:56:56

It's possible to think about more than one thing.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 16:58:10

Doreen Lawrence has never been given the closure she so deserves. Shameful.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 16:59:24

Pity to have disrupted rosecarmel’s thread

Spangler Tue 29-Dec-20 17:01:25

sodapop

No racism anywhere else then.

You might think that living under the heel of the Soviets that Hungary might be tolerant: "EU report finds rampant racism, xenophobia in Hungary" www.dw.com/en/eu-report-finds-rampant-racism-xenophobia-in-hungary/a-18505689

Added to that Catholic Poland is only a place for Catholic Poles. EU BLOCKS FUNDING TO SIX OF POLAND'S 'LGBT-FREE' ZONES attitude.co.uk/article/eu-blocks-funding-to-six-of-polands-lgbt-free-zones-1/23573/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:03:59

Spangler

sodapop

No racism anywhere else then.

You might think that living under the heel of the Soviets that Hungary might be tolerant: "EU report finds rampant racism, xenophobia in Hungary" www.dw.com/en/eu-report-finds-rampant-racism-xenophobia-in-hungary/a-18505689

Added to that Catholic Poland is only a place for Catholic Poles. EU BLOCKS FUNDING TO SIX OF POLAND'S 'LGBT-FREE' ZONES attitude.co.uk/article/eu-blocks-funding-to-six-of-polands-lgbt-free-zones-1/23573/

Pity to disrupt the OP.

Perhaps a different thread?

EllanVannin Tue 29-Dec-20 17:17:48

No disruption, just giving my view on the OP's view. Where's the disruption ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:29:32

EllanVannin

At least hopefully you are more aware of the variety of nationalities that post on this site, and will hopefully be a little more gentle in your comments?

janeainsworth Tue 29-Dec-20 17:58:02

Let me spell it out for you Ev

1. In response to a thread about racism in the USA, you asked who was interested in the USA. That's plain rude. If you're not interested in threads about the USA, go and play somewhere else.

2. You then attempted to derail the thread with references to racism in Australia, and the murder of Steven Lawrence.

Racism in America is different, partly because of the history of slavery and partly because it is entwined with the problem of police brutality.

NotSpaghetti Tue 29-Dec-20 19:28:39

I still don't think I could stand by and not say something. I know I'd be afraid but think I'd do it anyway. I have been involved in quite a few fairly scary situations over the years to be honest...

I don't think it matters where in the world it happens. People should at least speak out.

rosecarmel Tue 29-Dec-20 21:04:05

EllanVannin

Why should the US of A be any different ?

EllanVannin, because it is different- But racism isn't- Perhaps we could inquire about changing the title of the thread to be all inclusive since it is a global issue- Do you have any suggestions?

When George Floyd was killed on that city street by police for all the world to see, the world responded- Collectively-

Those that brought up the bystanding, I agree- You never know when someone will pull out a gun- The first incident I shared occurred in Ohio, a Concealed Carry state- Also, tons more people purchased guns during lockdown- Many interviewed couldn't exactly say why they purchased one aside from feeling frightened-

Guns have become invasive, like kudzu- They will never go away- Even if the Constitution were to change- Much like racism- Pretending it doesn't occur as often as it does will only cause it to spread further- So I started this thread to provide a place to share occurrences, generate discussions and to learn-

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 21:42:24

Ellan vannin . Why do you say “who’s interested in the USA?”
I don’t understand. It’s gransnet not britgransnet.
Sorry but that response really shocked me.

rosecarmel Tue 29-Dec-20 23:26:04

This is an excellent segment about the restoration of Black cemeteries:

www.cbsnews.com/news/black-family-200-year-old-cemetery-texas-resoration/

Lolo81 Tue 29-Dec-20 23:29:51

I remember watching an episode of Grey’s Anatomy (love my trashy series’) and was heartbroken to see a scene with two of the doctors having to give their young teen son “the talk”. Basically telling him that he can do and be whatever he wants to be, but that to be able to do that he needs to realise he’s playing by different rules - can’t talk back to police, always keep his hands in sight, never run when (not if) he’s stopped so they don’t shoot him.
I know that’s only fiction, but people in America have to do this especially if their sons aren’t white. To me the whole 2 minute scene encapsulated in a beautifully human way the impact of institutional racism on these kids.

rosecarmel Tue 29-Dec-20 23:45:00

I looked for the heartbreaking scene you mentioned, Lolo81, and found it on YouTube -- so others can watch it as well-

m.youtube.com/watch?v=McDeTvh9sbU

rosecarmel Wed 30-Dec-20 00:07:45

Feds decline charges against officers in Tamir Rice case

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department announced Tuesday that it would not bring federal criminal charges against two Cleveland (Ohio) police officers in the 2014 killing of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, saying video of the shooting was of too poor a quality for prosecutors to conclusively establish what had happened.

In closing the case, the department brought to an end a long-running investigation into a high-profile shooting that helped galvanize the Black Lives Matter movement and that became part of the national dialogue about police use of force against minorities, including children. The decision, revealed in a lengthy statement, does not condone the officers’ actions but rather says the cumulative evidence was not enough to support a federal criminal civil rights prosecution.

Tamir was playing with a pellet gun outside a recreation center in Cleveland on Nov. 22, 2014, when he was shot and killed by Officer Timothy Loehmann, who is white, seconds after Loehmann and his partner, Officer Frank Garmback, arrived at the scene. The officers were called to the recreation center after a man drinking beer and waiting for a bus had called 911 to report that a “guy” was pointing a gun at people. The caller told a 911 dispatcher that it was probably a juvenile and the gun might be “fake,” though that information was never relayed to the officers.

www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/justice-tamir-rice-452136