Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson - unable to control his emotions.

(87 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 02-Jan-21 14:44:21

The following is an article by Marina Hyde about the effect Johnson's lack of control of his emotions has had on his actions regarding covid.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/01/boris-johnson-victim-emotions

Jane10 Sat 02-Jan-21 17:57:13

I'm with SueDonimon this. Nicola and/or her many spin doctors have read the book on the importance of seeming empathetic. Many of us up here are not impressed by her crocodile tears. She's had many occasions to deploy them so has had a lot of practice.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 18:00:39

LauraNorder

Sorry WW but I must say I feel your post was a trifle rude.

?I see what you did there, very good??

It certainly was a good post LauraNorder and only ‘tripe’ to a poster who has opposing views.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 18:03:43

Callistemon

LauraNorder - great post!

I'm sorry, but I think Americans have got a nerve
People in glass houses and all that.

I'm sorry, but it is Marina Hyde who wrote the piece for the Guardian, and, I really hate to say this, but the eminently posh Marina does write for a left-wing rag and Boris is a Tory.

So, apologies, but she is not unbiased.

Hope you don't mind me saying that.

It's not easy being King of the World at the moment.

Am sorry but am very annoyed that you posted these comments? as it was more or less what I was going to post.

vegansrock Sat 02-Jan-21 18:08:09

Can those who quote a post and then just add a comment like “good post” could also add “in my opinion”? as otherwise those who do not think it a good post could just as easily do a quote and just say “poor post” or similar meaningless point and such posts just become a game of ping pong.

Baggs Sat 02-Jan-21 18:09:51

Thanks, juliet.

trisher Sat 02-Jan-21 18:13:18

Isn't this the ultimate expression of "The Diana Principle" the concept which came to the fore when Princess Diana was killed? That anyone in the public eye must at some point display emotion. Before this traditional politicians and the Royal family believed in the "stiff upper lip" after her death displays of public emotion became common place. Boris is just following the trend.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 18:15:24

vegansrock

Can those who quote a post and then just add a comment like “good post” could also add “in my opinion”? as otherwise those who do not think it a good post could just as easily do a quote and just say “poor post” or similar meaningless point and such posts just become a game of ping pong.

Poor post.

Kalu Sat 02-Jan-21 18:21:24

I agree MayBee70.

lemongrove Sat 02-Jan-21 18:21:35

trisher I agree up to a point.Perhaps Johnson really is quite an emotional person so it comes naturally to him.
Politicians are as different as anyone else, there are calm, measured even cold people and others who are easily brought to tears, laughter and anything in between.
Johnson soon gets ruffled at PMQ’s, and is very enthusiastic generally, so he does appear quite emotional.

Sparkling Sat 02-Jan-21 18:27:06

White wave, Where did you dig that article up from. America making judgement on us, look at the mess they are in, it’s laughable.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Jan-21 18:39:09

Sparkling

White wave, Where did you dig that article up from. America making judgement on us, look at the mess they are in, it’s laughable.

The New York Times.

They frequently comment on other countries, just as our newspapers do.

I can quote quite a few articles about the U.K.

There is an interesting one about HMGs waste, negligence and cronyism.

Of course we know it is going on big time, but it is interesting to understand that the rest of the world recognises this fact as well.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 18:59:34

merlotgran

If Boris did 'man up' and maintain a 'stiff upper lip' he'd be accused of being heartless and uncaring.

It must be difficult to get the right balance.

Silly article.

It doesn't matter what people accuse him of being, if something is the most sensible course of action and achieves results.

Callistemon Sat 02-Jan-21 19:12:55

Am sorry but am very annoyed that you posted these comments [?]as it was more or less what I was going to post.

Many apologies, I'm really sorry but nah, nah, ne nah, nah

MayBee70 Sat 02-Jan-21 19:58:49

Bodach

Here's what a German commentator had to say about Boris Johnson the other day: “ Just because someone has tangled hair, is prone to bursting into Latin, and has a somewhat chaotic private life doesn’t mean they cannot be a statesman of historic importance. Europeans of all stripes now know Johnson as the man who stood up against the behemoth that is the European bloc and, against all the odds, won the day for his country.”

Alexander Von Schoenburg, editor of ‘Bild’; Germany’s best-selling newspaper.

According to Wikipedia Bild is the German equivalent of The Sun so I assume it’s standard of journalism and relationship with the truth is similar also.

LauraNorder Sat 02-Jan-21 20:38:40

I’m terribly sorry vegansrock but I think good post/poor post is just another way of saying I agree/I disagree. No need for ‘in my opinion’.

Callistemon Sat 02-Jan-21 20:51:24

?

MaizieD Sat 02-Jan-21 21:01:32

Of course, Johnson can control his emotions. All that handwringing is completely false playacting. I think it works with besotted grannies, but I think that on the whole there is general disenchantment. He's certainly managed to alienate large swathes of professionals...

Madgran77 Sat 02-Jan-21 21:01:58

whitewave2 ...the only reply can be "Trump"! grin

paddyanne Sat 02-Jan-21 21:11:05

Thing is Jane those of us who know her and have been in her company know they aren't crocodile tears.She cares deeply for the country she serves....and that IS all the country not just those who voted for her .As the folk whose bedroom tax her government mitigates or the carers who got a wage rise AND a bonus when Hancock 's contribution was a BADGE they had to buy!Or the care experienced children who know they can and do turn to her for advice...they call her the chief mammy ..and no its not derogatory .She has a heart of gold .

LauraNorder Sat 02-Jan-21 21:21:44

I’m sorry to say, but in my opinion, the trouble with all these political threads recently with the same few posters continuing for pages and pages is that the only available conclusion was eloquently said by Mandy Rice-Davies.

SueDonim Sat 02-Jan-21 21:27:19

If Nicola Sturgeon cares so much about children, why is she happy to preside over a failing education system?

merlotgran Sat 02-Jan-21 22:07:35

I think it works with besotted grannies,

grin grin grin

Callistemon Sat 02-Jan-21 22:25:44

merlotgran

^I think it works with besotted grannies,^

grin grin grin

Gransnet can be such a joy sometimes, merlotgran
???

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 22:58:30

MayBee70

Bodach

Here's what a German commentator had to say about Boris Johnson the other day: “ Just because someone has tangled hair, is prone to bursting into Latin, and has a somewhat chaotic private life doesn’t mean they cannot be a statesman of historic importance. Europeans of all stripes now know Johnson as the man who stood up against the behemoth that is the European bloc and, against all the odds, won the day for his country.”

Alexander Von Schoenburg, editor of ‘Bild’; Germany’s best-selling newspaper.

According to Wikipedia Bild is the German equivalent of The Sun so I assume it’s standard of journalism and relationship with the truth is similar also.

I would say "Bild" is worse than the Sun. It's succeeded in taking sensational journalism to a new level.

BTW "Bild" means "picture" in German and it's not really a newspaper but a comic strip.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 23:10:04

I once had a discussion with a staunch Conservative supporter about whether Johnson is a natural clown or whether it's all a show.

I reckoned it was a show. She reckoned it was natural. ("Clown" isn't the word we used, but I'd be banned if I wrote the word we did use.)