Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Tony Blair receive a knighthood.?

(69 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 03-Jan-21 16:18:57

It is usual for a Prime Minister to receive knighthood after their term in office. But Tony Blair was not awarded one because the Queen did not allow it. The reason was due to the way Tony Blair handled the arrangements for Diana’s funeral.
The result has been that subsequent Prime Ministers have also been denied a knighthood because a precedent has been set.
Is the Queen being unreasonable or did she make the right decision?

Liz46 Sun 03-Jan-21 18:31:04

As Missfoodlove says 'He is an odious man with an odious wife'. He should have been put on trial after the Iraq war.

mrsmopp Sun 03-Jan-21 18:31:48

Yes I remember Cherie Blair refused to curtesy to the Queen!
An odious couple. So no knighthood from me for sure.

Ginnytonic5 Sun 03-Jan-21 18:36:27

Just hope with all the mess he created they never ever give David Cameron one ?

Galaxy Sun 03-Jan-21 18:38:19

I wouldnt curtsey to the Queen either confused

Jusu48 Sun 03-Jan-21 18:42:40

And it’s no from me.

Blossoming Sun 03-Jan-21 18:47:35

The whole honours system should be scrapped.

Galaxy same here.

Sparklefizz Sun 03-Jan-21 18:52:37

It's a No from me, and maybe that will be the end of automatic honours to Prime Ministers.

dolphindaisy Sun 03-Jan-21 18:59:31

If the Queen was looking after her two grandsons in Balmoral why did she agree to stick them in the back of a car and parade them past the gawking public the morning their mother died. They then had to sit through a church service where the death of their mother wasn't even mentioned. The public mood was getting very hostile towards the Queen and the rest of the RF, Blair's suggestion they return to London helped calm the public mood.
As for the Royal Yacht - the following is from the official Britannia website:: "On 23 June 1994, John Major's Government announced there would be no refit for HMY Britannia as the costs would be too great." Yet the Tories have always been happy to let Blair take the blame.
I'll never understand why Blair went along with George W Bush in the Iraq war but don't forget him and his government also brought peace to Northern Ireland after years of bitter conflict.

mrsmopp Sun 03-Jan-21 19:10:12

I wouldn’t scrap honors altogether as many are well deserved recognition, for example the fantastic Captain Tom last year, knighted by the Queen. We should be proud of his achievements.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:24:22

I do not understand why people doing their job, eg a young racing driver should get a knighthood?

Cameron and Blair? Never for the reasons stated.

mrswoo Sun 03-Jan-21 19:39:40

No.

paddyanne Sun 03-Jan-21 19:46:25

Do you think its recognition giving him an Empire medal/title? It may have escaped your notice but the "empire" is long gone.though WM thinks it still exists by. controlling Scotland .Imperialistic nonsense well past its sell by date .Should have been left in the middle ages where it belonged ..this is the 21st century for heavens sake not the 15th!

Jane10 Sun 03-Jan-21 19:47:55

I agree Charleygirl. Honours should be extraordinary effort eg Captain Tom and all the unsung people who do so much for others. They shouldn't be for people just doing their jobs eg civil servants etc

Jaxjacky Sun 03-Jan-21 20:11:58

No, because of Iraq, and could he keep his nose out generally too.

rascal Sun 03-Jan-21 20:13:57

No!

Calendargirl Sun 03-Jan-21 20:15:06

Chewbacca

^David Cameron?^

gringringrin Now if there was an award for cowardice, dereliction of duty and bolting as soon as the going got rough...... he'd be perfect for that award.

Oh no, I didn’t mean he should have a knighthood!

Heaven forbid!

I just meant he was one other PM who hadn’t been knighted.

Kalu Sun 03-Jan-21 20:42:17

No but I base this on his dragging us into an unwanted war. Plus, he completely ignored the will of the people who took to the streets, clearly sending him the message, this is not our war. No WMDs found but he was further responsible and party to, the fear of terrorism and atrocities, worldwide.

Poppyred Sun 03-Jan-21 20:50:44

Absolutely not! Worst prime minister ever!

Katek Sun 03-Jan-21 21:12:48

No from.me also.

Anniebach Sun 03-Jan-21 21:16:24

Retiring PM’s are offered a peerage not a knighthood,

Wilson, Callahan, Thatcher .

Blair supported an elected upper house as did Brown, they were against appointed and hereditary.

Gwyneth Sun 03-Jan-21 21:16:42

No from me re Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron

lemongrove Sun 03-Jan-21 22:29:52

If peerages were automatically given to PM’s who left service or were voted out ( up to Blair) can it really be said with confidence that the Queen denied him one? I take little interest in that sort of thing but it seems rather petty if true.
Blair wasn’t a bad PM even if some of his choices had bad outcomes.

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 22:41:43

No, simply because he took us into an illegal war, the repercussions of which still impact on us today.

MiniMoon Sun 03-Jan-21 23:26:06

In answer to the question, no, certainly not!

Chestnut Mon 04-Jan-21 00:04:49

No and double no. Throw him in the Tower.

It is wrong to assume anyone is entitled to one, they should be on merit only. And TB not getting one should not affect anyone else getting one.

The least deserved award ever was to Adele in my opinion. She had only been around for five minutes and sung a few songs. A lifetime achievement in the music industry is worth rewarding but she had not proved herself at all.