Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Tony Blair receive a knighthood.?

(69 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 03-Jan-21 16:18:57

It is usual for a Prime Minister to receive knighthood after their term in office. But Tony Blair was not awarded one because the Queen did not allow it. The reason was due to the way Tony Blair handled the arrangements for Diana’s funeral.
The result has been that subsequent Prime Ministers have also been denied a knighthood because a precedent has been set.
Is the Queen being unreasonable or did she make the right decision?

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Jan-21 01:34:55

Totally agree with Iam64 on this!
No! He definitely should not recieve a knighthood.

heath480 Mon 04-Jan-21 01:39:28

Tony Blair should have been tried at The Hague for war crimes.

Poppyred Mon 04-Jan-21 02:24:54

He invited half the world to come to the UK, and they are still trying ... for godsake!1

Mollygo Mon 04-Jan-21 03:02:14

No. No. No.

Ngaio1 Mon 04-Jan-21 03:07:15

No.

Blinko Mon 04-Jan-21 11:54:29

lemongrove

If peerages were automatically given to PM’s who left service or were voted out ( up to Blair) can it really be said with confidence that the Queen denied him one? I take little interest in that sort of thing but it seems rather petty if true.
Blair wasn’t a bad PM even if some of his choices had bad outcomes.

I agree. I do hope the present incumbent doesn't get one either...

Anniebach Mon 04-Jan-21 12:08:00

The Queen doesn’t deny honours,

Lilleth Mon 04-Jan-21 12:25:20

No. Too much mystery surrounding Dr David Kelly.

Rosina Mon 04-Jan-21 12:31:45

Absolutely not for all the reasons stated above. TB is largely responsible for making the entire Arab world hate us and want to kill us - and the final irony is that he became a Middle East peace envoy. How well that went too. A more insincere and self seeking individual I have yet to see in politics - and my blood boils when he keeps making statesmanlike pronouncements telling the government what to do.

David0205 Mon 04-Jan-21 15:38:54

As long as they don’t give Boris a knighthood I don’t really care, there are plenty of other jobsworths that do get honors the whole system is discredited.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Jan-21 16:02:03

Lilleth

Very good point!

paddyanne Mon 04-Jan-21 16:41:50

Rosina so you dont get Brown pontificating on a regular basis ? We do ,if he says FEDERALISM is the way forward again I will personally volunteer to muzzle him.He's been saying it since 2014 and now most of us just laugh at hi and his federalism ...anyway the labour party used to have a core policy of Home Rule for Scotland ....seems he joined his mate Blair in the tory lite party!

sue421 Mon 04-Jan-21 16:51:44

It should not be automatic that PMs receive a Knighthood at all. People this year who should receive recognition from our Queen - those that worked hard in their community, delivering food to those in need, providing hampers for Christmas - we have a couple in our community who started providing food to those in need and this has grown out of all expectations - you have to admire this young couple who encouraged us all to help! There are so many people out there that should be recognised. Also our local council were tremendous.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 04-Jan-21 16:54:00

The decommissioning of the Royal Yacht was started by the previous Tory government.
Neither Blair nor Brown was invited to that Royal Wedding.
If Blair hadn’t persuaded th3 Queen to return to London, I think we would be a Republic by now. There were plenty of other family in Balmoral to look after the boys, including their father, grandfather and a cousin or two. I think HMQ can be vindictive, sadly. She wouldn’t allow an old friend of Philip (can’t remember her name - Pat?) to receive a Damehood because there were always rumours.
Finally, Bercow should receive a peerage. The man was merely doing his job and May and Johnson were being ridiculous.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 04-Jan-21 16:56:49

Lilleth

I live fairly near the woodland where Dr Kelly was found. Right from the start there were inconsistencies which were never resolved. The paramedics who were first on the scene never really had their reports examined that closely.

mrshat Mon 04-Jan-21 17:21:07

I agree with Chewbacca Sun03 Jan-16:40:19.
My understanding is it is because of the Iraq war, not Diana's funeral.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jan-21 17:53:45

Again, retired PM’s are given a peerage not a knighthood

Harold Wilson. - Baron

Jim Callaghan. - Baron

Margaret Thatcher. - Baroness

Grany Mon 04-Jan-21 18:38:24

No he shouldn't