Gransnet forums

News & politics

A big thank you to those who voted for Brexit

(790 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 07-Jan-21 16:03:15

I've just been reading about the additional charges that people buying goods from the UK are having to pay on purchases arriving in EU countries. So much so that many retailers are no longer selling to people in the EU. The list is long but includes M & S, John Lewis and Fortnums. I buy a variety of things from the UK, including clothing and health supplements. I am no longer able to do this. But it's not just me and other Brits living abroad, it's everybody in the EU.

So, those cheesemakers will have a hard time and I will no longer be able to buy the very good quality cheddar from my local supermarket (which the French like to, not just Brits) because it will be too expensive.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 13:45:22

The leavers are busy enjoying their sovereignty, they couldn’t care less about all the struggling businesses.

varian Fri 08-Jan-21 13:52:02

They're not doing much in the way of controlling our borders.

If you fly into many other countries you are taken directly from the plane to an airport hotel where you are quartantined for fourteen days in your room, only seeing a heavily protected staff member who delivers your food.

If you fly to the UK you may be given a form on the plane instructing you to quarantine and asking for an address, but these forms are seldom collected on arrival and you are free to travel on public transport or whatever way you like to your address.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 13:57:40

David Henig (UK Director @ecipe, making sense of Brexit & Trade/ also global trade policy/ TTIP veteran) has done a good thread explaining what the problems are for exporters and importers.

"How to make sense of the increasing number of UK-EU trade disruption stories?"

"In short - outside of a single market product checks and people working restrictions are inevitable. And outside a customs union you will have tariffs and / or rules of origin."

"The UK decided to leave a Customs Union. Within that Customs Union, no tariffs, just a common external tariff or preferential rates for bilateral deals or developing countries. Hence, distribution hubs in one country for all make a lot of sense. 2/"

"Outside a Customs Union our choice was tariffs under WTO rules or remove them subject to rules of origin with a deal. We chose the latter, but it means we can't just import from China, rebadge, and get zero tariffs from the EU. As we could until December 31"

"Net result of being outside of the Customs Union - it no longer makes sense for the UK to be a distribution hub for the whole of Europe. Particularly when so many neighbouring countries remain in it. No trade deal changes that. 4/"

I won't post the whole thread but it's an illuminating read.

twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1347468916872912896

Of course, at the end we have a Brexit moron response

"Sanjay Nayyar
@Cyberspace_7
Replying to
@DavidHenigUK
Having decided that all of these stories from big business is arse covering for price rises. I’m also beginning to think it’s arse covering for their failure to lobby politicians for a better deal or explaining the impact earlier to the public."

David0205 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:05:42

suttonJ

UG....I await your post with interest. I remember how keen you have been on telling us of the positives of Brexit.

I did ask several days ago and no response, hardly surprising there aren’t any positives and we’re finding more negatives every day.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:13:41

Russ

Now we're out of the EU, Daniel Hannan wants to reduce your pay and conditions, and remove safeguards on hedge funds that help prevent another 2007 crash.

I dunno about you, but I almost fainted with shock at this unforseeable revelation.

varian Fri 08-Jan-21 14:33:44

Is that the same Daniel Hannan who promised that "no-one was talking about leaving the Single Market" and has since been rewarded for being such a good liar by being given a peerage?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:35:58

varian

Is that the same Daniel Hannan who promised that "no-one was talking about leaving the Single Market" and has since been rewarded for being such a good liar by being given a peerage?

The very same?

MayBee70 Fri 08-Jan-21 14:43:36

But surely Farage, with his years of experience with the fishing industry from when he represented them in the EU could help them in some way?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 15:01:50

BREXIT UPDATE, 10am, 8 Jan.
More & more reports coming in of hauliers halting group exports to the EU as of today (these are loads of different food products from different companies). A multi-million pound blow to our food industry. What an entirely predictable mess

Mamie Fri 08-Jan-21 16:23:13

M and S suspending exports.
"The M&S chief executive, Steve Rowe, said: “Tariff free does not feel like tariff free when you read the fine print. For big businesses there will be time-consuming workarounds but for a lot of others this means paying tariffs or rebasing into the EU.”"
I sympathise with your post *Dinahmo". None of these little things that make our lives as Brits in the EU more difficult are major in terms of what is happening to industry and business, but they just make it all more and more depressing. What is happening to Scottish fish exports is dreadful. We know how much Scottish salmon is prized here in France; the loss of the export market, even if temporary, must be devastating.
The sad truth is that Brexiteers will never take ownership of what is happening. Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 16:46:15

Brexiters, please do not give them an extra undeserved glamorous 'e'.

Mamie Fri 08-Jan-21 16:47:48

Nothing glamorous about privateers Biba.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 16:52:21

“The pennies dropping are becoming a gentle rain”

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 17:01:20

suttonJ

UG....I await your post with interest. I remember how keen you have been on telling us of the positives of Brexit.

These are bumps in the road. Hauliers now need the correct paperwork for each country they pass through. Practice makes perfect. As this involves money they’ll sort it out. We are only on Day 8. In the middle of a Covid crisis here & in Europe too.

mokryna Fri 08-Jan-21 17:02:25

In the 60s, when I sent or received presents, we used take off the wrapping and on the postal paper say used goods left on last visit. This avoided extra payment tax.
Once I received a big parcel from a manufacturer and the postal service here wanted some money to cover the taxes. As I didn’t know what was inside I refused the box. They were very surprised but I was not going to pay for something I didn’t like.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 17:06:29

Urmstongran

suttonJ

These are bumps in the road. Hauliers now need the correct paperwork for each country they pass through. Practice makes perfect. As this involves money they’ll sort it out. We are only on Day 8. In the middle of a Covid crisis here & in Europe too.

So is that a positive or negative?

Urmstongran Fri 08-Jan-21 17:15:10

It’s showing we will be on our way to a positive soon enough WW as businesses get slicker at the new rules & regs. After 40+ years of doing business in a certain way, complaining on DAY 8 is unreasonable.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 17:21:34

Whitewavemark2

Urmstongran

suttonJ

So is that a positive or negative?

It was entirely predictable. The only answer any Leaver has for people whose lives and businesses their vote has made difficult or impossible is 'they'll get used to it'. Or the even more pathetic 'we used to do it before we joined the EU'.
These people have enjoyed unfettered freedom of movement and frictionless trade for decades. It's a banal response and must be* rage inducing for people who never voted for it.

(* not 'must be' , but is...)

varian Fri 08-Jan-21 17:24:34

I am very disappointed in UG. I did think she might come up with something better than "bumps in the road"

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 17:27:45

Urmstongran

It’s showing we will be on our way to a positive soon enough WW as businesses get slicker at the new rules & regs. After 40+ years of doing business in a certain way, complaining on DAY 8 is unreasonable.

Do you have a business, UG?

You know what? The Leave Campaigners promised that nothing would change. They promised that everything would be better . I don't think the prospect of MORE RED TAPE, regulation and COST, which makes things worse is thrilling any business at all.

But perhaps you can tell businesses how they can absorb more costs and cope with more paperwork without losing their competitive edge. All you Brexit geniuses seem to know so much better than they do...

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Jan-21 17:31:25

I do have a business, attached are the new customs forms we have to fill in, not exactly mind boggling??

Mamie Fri 08-Jan-21 17:33:27

The thing is Ug that my DH spent a great deal of his working life employed by a British firm providing IT services across Europe and the rest of the world. He was there before the single market and afterwards. He could give you chapter and verse about how much easier it became in Europe after the introduction of the single market, how the company was able to expand and how much more revenue they were able to bring in to the UK economy.
That is what has been given up. Trade and business is suffering and the UK will be poorer. You may thing that is worthwhile, but please stop describing these things as temporary glitches. They are not.

MaizieD Fri 08-Jan-21 17:40:17

GrannyGravy13

I do have a business, attached are the new customs forms we have to fill in, not exactly mind boggling??

Do you have suppliers in the EU?

If you do, are they happy to register with HMRC and collect VAT to remit to them on everything you purchase from them?

I gather that a lot of companies, world wide (because this requirement is global) are saying 'Stuff it' and choosing not to trade with the UK any more.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Jan-21 17:46:12

Our suppliers are worldwide MaizieD

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jan-21 18:02:23

GrannyGravy13

Our suppliers are worldwide MaizieD

Be interested in your answer to Maizie’s question, because I’m not sure how the VAT question will ever work