Gransnet forums

News & politics

Germany & Cyprus break ranks from EU vaccine rollout!

(68 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 12-Jan-21 11:36:42

So much for unity eh?

“EU reminds members to toe the line on unilateral vaccine plan
The EU is struggling to keep countries aligned with its vaccine strategy, as governments start to break rank and seek side-deals for extra jabs.

The European Commission is now urging ministers to stick to the plan to negotiate unilaterally.

Last week, Germany ordered 30 million extra doses of the Pfizer vaccine on top of its allocation from the EU’s haul of 600 million jabs while Cyprus reportedly asked Israel for additional doses.”

‘I’m alright Jack springs to mind’.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised as Angela Merkel had, in a spirit of co-operation, handed Germany’s vaccination programme over to Brussels.

Who ordered the sneaky side deal then?

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Jan-21 15:37:27

? Lemon

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 15:39:07

Elliane I find this Mutti thing a bit worrying ( and how self styled is it?) Rather like Sturgeon wanting to be called Chief Mammy.
How would everyone feel about a male leader wanted to be called Father?! Or Uncle.I think we have had those dictators in the 20th century and don’t want them back again.
Not even ‘benign’ dictatorship.

paddyanne Tue 12-Jan-21 16:01:23

Lemongrove Sturgeon did not want to be called the chief mammy,I explianed how that came about to you before.Keep spreading lies though if it suits you better.The care experienced children that Nicoa Sturgeon keeps an aye on call her the chief mammy..its an affetionate nickname from young peole who appreciate what she does for them.
I suppose the concept of young people being happy in teh company of the FM is alien to you...you can bet they'd run a mile form most tories!1

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 16:06:21

I have seen the video with Sturgeon saying that she sees her responsibilities as being ‘Chief Parent....or as we say around here Chief Mammy’ ....these were her own words btw.

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 16:08:12

I will repeat what is only two posts above this. She has said she will not seek another term as Chancellor.

It may not suit the purpose of some on here but let's stick to the truth where it is not only known but is right in front of posters. Twisting facts is surely just for Trump and Johnson?

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 16:17:59

Gosh this is being squeezed isn't it. What sad human beings some people are becoming where they still have to attack all and sundry who dare not to acknowledge that a wonderful place in history awaits leave voters.

Mutti was, I believe, a term used in German satirical programme. Your "angle" would be like someone in this country suggesting Margaret Thatcher's cabinet called themselves "the vegetables" It is used by the media rather than the people and she does not refer to herself in that way.

This thread is a fake news thread in an attempt to hang on to what was a fake creation in the first place.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Jan-21 16:18:28

lemongrove

I have seen the video with Sturgeon saying that she sees her responsibilities as being ‘Chief Parent....or as we say around here Chief Mammy’ ....these were her own words btw.

Those aren't her words though, are they Lemon?

In Scotland we have the concept of a Corporate Parent. I don't know much about it and maybe its something other countries have as well. The Scottish Government is a Corporate Parent. NS is head of the Government. In a speech she referred to herself as the Chief Corporate Parent, then made a joke to the Scottish audience about being called the Chief Mammy.

Some people didn't really understand and just can't get over it. hmm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoNCP98ASI

Namsnanny Tue 12-Jan-21 16:20:35

The EU member states voluntarily opted into the joint procurement scheme.

Yes because they had no choice.
Germany stopped exporting PPE to other countries, (in a bid to keep control for themselves) a while back, which left countries like Italy (you may remember were the worst affected) without recourse.
In the wake of the shock and fury of the other states, A. Merkel
quickly handed over authority for vaccine roll out to Brussels.
It was in this context and against a background of mistrust that the states settled for this arrangement.

Which is far from helpful as it is proving to be a chaotic nightmare to sort out.

There are always different ways to approach a problem, not all are successful.

So imv not a 'bent banana' story.

MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 16:22:47

Mutti was, I believe, a term used in German satirical programme. Your "angle" would be like someone in this country suggesting Margaret Thatcher's cabinet called themselves "the vegetables

confusedconfused

Mutti just means “Mum”

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 16:31:33

Where did the Mutti label come from? Was it her own party? It sort of implies a nurturing, or safe pair of hands.
And what about, nanny state"? Is that to do with grandmas or goats?

GillT57 Tue 12-Jan-21 17:20:26

like someone in this country suggesting Margaret Thatcher's cabinet called themselves "the vegetables"

That was a scene from the original Spitting Image. Mrs Thatcher and cabinet sitting at table

M Thatcher to waitress; " I will have the beef"
Waitress to M Thatcher: " and the vegetables?"
M Thatcher to Waitress: " they will have the same"

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 17:31:29

MawBe

^Mutti was, I believe, a term used in German satirical programme. Your "angle" would be like someone in this country suggesting Margaret Thatcher's cabinet called themselves "the vegetables^

confusedconfused

Mutti just means “Mum”

I know. I called my mother that from time to time throughout my early years, born and living in Germany. I didn't think an explanation was needed. Sorry.

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 17:35:43

GillT57

^like someone in this country suggesting Margaret Thatcher's cabinet called themselves "the vegetables"^

That was a scene from the original Spitting Image. Mrs Thatcher and cabinet sitting at table

M Thatcher to waitress; " I will have the beef"
Waitress to M Thatcher: " and the vegetables?"
M Thatcher to Waitress: " they will have the same"

Dear oh dear. Did you actually read the post? I was comparing the fact that calling AM "mutti" came from a satirical German programme, just as the cabinet were called "the vegetables" on an English satirical programme.

I always thought I was an over-explainer. Now I am thinking I don't explain enough sad

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 17:53:07

Yes, I understand your explanation Pippa.
What I am puzzled by is why the CDU played on this Mutti label in their advertising campaigns. Especially in the way Merkel's hands are positioned?

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 17:57:52

I can't see the word "mutti" on there. Aren't her hands just in a relaxed position - I think she often stands like that doesn't she? That's why I love pockets - somewhere to put your hands but probably not a good look in her case.

No real idea. Sorry.

JackyB Tue 12-Jan-21 18:03:58

I have lived in Germany all the time she's been Chancellor and I've never seen or heard her referred to as "Mutti" here.

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 18:04:16

She does admittedly wear jackets which are a bit too short to put her hands in her pockets!
I'm probably reading too much into the pictures, I even thought she was doing that love heart shape in one photo! grin

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 18:08:41

PippaZ ....I don’t think that Gill57 needs any lessons from you (you’ll be giving us all detention next.)

Alegrias never heard of the Corporate Parent ( just a Scottish thing?) but it certainly sounds better than Chief Mammy ( even if said as a joke!)

MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 18:58:56

I know. I called my mother that from time to time throughout my early years, born and living in Germany. I didn't think an explanation was needed. Sorry.
Apology accepted.
So did I, actually all the time.

Lollypolly Tue 12-Jan-21 19:01:00

Urmstrongran sorry can't accept what you are saying. I lived in Germany and had my own business, I still have my house there. Was there when Mrs Merkel was elected and she was a very popular choice particularly with business women. I was in Germany for birth of my grandson 4 years ago and the care is second to none. My niece in England was being sent home while in labour and her mother was so distressed because there was nothing they could do to help. My dil had excellent care, monitored all the time until the baby was born, private room good food. Night and day from the UK. Unless you live in a country and experience life and work there it is easy to make throw away comments, so best not to as you really don't understand what you are talking about.

MayBee70 Tue 12-Jan-21 19:39:36

Am I right in thinking that Germany offered us help with a test and trace system which was refused and also took in covid patients from other countries earlier in the pandemic when their cases were quite low? Maybe they are now looking after their own because the rate of infection has gone up, which is what most countries are doing. There does seem to be something very political about which vaccines different countries use eg Cuba and Iran are working together. It’s almost like a strange Eurovision Song Contest voting system. All rather worrying when we need the world to act as one to eliminate the virus.

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 19:51:06

MawBe

^I know. I called my mother that from time to time throughout my early years, born and living in Germany. I didn't think an explanation was needed. Sorry.^
Apology accepted.
So did I, actually all the time.

That wasn't an apology to you Mawbe. Well it was, in as was much as it was an apology to all those you seem to think would not know the meaning. There was me thinking most people would either be familiar with it or look it up as it was quite pivotal to the discussion. I found your post a little patronising/condescending - you choose. Only you know why you felt the need to explain it to me.

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 20:53:31

Did anyone else pick up on the wording she used today to describe the new strain of covid, ,*dieses britische Virus*?

MayBee70 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:04:08

Well, it is isn’t it? Good grief. Are we trying to start WWIII here? We call the South African variant the South African variant don’t we?

Ellianne Tue 12-Jan-21 21:10:38

MayBee it's all this blame business I dislike using the nationality ... British, Chinese, South African ... rather than saying from Britain, from China etc.