Gransnet forums

News & politics

UK exports

(32 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 14:40:29

Found out today the books ordered by my school from the UK (Book Depository & Oxford Uni Press) haven't been sent, orders cancelled. Reason given? Brexit.

Also, a British staff member's John Lewis order has been cancelled. Also due to Brexit. No European orders at all for the foreseeable.

nadateturbe Sat 06-Feb-21 10:41:18

Casdon

MaizieD you’re right, but Northern Ireland is part of the UK, they are part of the ‘we’ and are being treated very shoddily I think.

I feel very depressed about it all.. It hasn't affected me much so far apart from John Lewis won't deliver and I had to try three places on Amazon before I found one to deliver seeds. Suttons won't deliver.
I am listening to a discussion on Radio Ulster atm and a man has been unable to get a mattress from some UK companies. I foresee a great rise in prices for NI from GB and according to the present speaker, we have the lowest disposable income in the UK.

It's utterly ridiculous to have a border between NI and GB.

MaizieD Sat 06-Feb-21 11:36:32

It's utterly ridiculous to have a border between NI and GB.

Given the bizarre decision that we had to leave every single institution with 'eu' in its name this border was absolutely inevitable. The only way it could be avoided was to leave the whole of the UK in the customs union (May's 'backstop'). But the ERG nutters didn't want that.

The real tragedy is that no-one really considered the implications of Brexit for NI. If it was mentioned it was waved aside...

Katie59 Sat 06-Feb-21 12:59:17

It is crazy, even the good stuff that the EU brought has gone, it’s caused a lot of problems because they don’t recognize any of our standards. It was our choice to leave, we could have adopted EU standards in a great many areas but it’s all gone.

nadateturbe Mon 08-Feb-21 09:48:39

This made me smile.
So there is still a border. www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-55966155

Katie59 Mon 08-Feb-21 16:00:44

There should have been much more checking in the UK, the rules have been ignored by many of us.

MaizieD Tue 09-Feb-21 21:57:40

Interesting twitter thread. Lewis Goodall reporting on evidence to the Scottish Affairs Select Committee.

One witness (there are others reported):

my sense is there’s only been two measure as to whether Brexit has been a disaster 1) empty supermarket shelves 2) pileups of lorries in Kent. Reality is we haven’t seen empty shelves yet because inward checks haven’t started yet. And there are no pile ups because 68% of lorries are carrying fresh air right now as volumes are so thin...The border operating model is 168 pages, it’s complex and was published on Hogmanay. And it’s been updated since...we were doomed from the start.”

This is not just a seafood issue. Our red meat grade volumes are sitting about 25-30% of normal. We can’t export fresh mince into the EU, we can’t trade live sheep to Northern Ireland, we can’t export seed potatoes to the EU...these are nightmarish consequences.

twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1357292569512837121