Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit 'bumps'

(109 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 16-Jan-21 17:52:47

This guy is a wine importer. He prepared, in advance, as well as he possibly could for Brexit.

He's not a happy bunny

-START_
Daniel Lambert (Wines). ????
(1,186 views)

Over the past 15 days I have not only been running my company as normal but I have been faced with largest threat to its future since it began in 1992. This is #Brexit & here is my thread on just how bad things are getting. 1/26
Six months ago my business started to prepare for Brexit. We obtained the following licences and accreditations JUST to maintain the status quo. EORI number, RORO badge for Chief, GBRC number, GBWK number, we already had ARWS and DAN accounts. 2/26
All of this took nearly five months a lot of form filling but on the 9th December this was all in place. So I would say whilst we knew Brexit would be a car crash we did not know it was going to be a multiple pile up in the fog with fatalities. 3/26
On January 4th I returned to work being wise enough to have stockpiled just enough so that if we had a bumpy ride in January we would have enough stock to last until February. 4/26
I should add this took a considerable amount of cash flow and management to do this during a lockdown/ pandemic combined with Xmas sales. But we managed. 5/26
I should add this took a considerable amount of cash flow and management to do this during a lockdown/ pandemic combined with Xmas sales. But we managed. 5/26
On my Return in January I started to use Chief for the very first time. It was not possible to use this system prior to Brexit or necessary as it was very simple to move stock in the EU with minimal fuss and delay with the EMCS system. 6/26
It’s fair to say it worked like clockwork after 40 years of tweaks to get the system just right. But in Brexit Britain we are very much on our own & so this British system (CHIEF) has now got every product the U.K. consumes in its grasp. 7/26
However the problem with CHIEF is that it was built decades ago and was never designed to handle EU imports too! Why would leave a system (EMCS) that works for one that does not? 8/26
A CHIEF declaration (C88) has up to 65 boxes to complete. Some of these are very simple like excise number and parties involved on the import. So basic stuff. Others however are very vague codes. 9/26
CHIEF is there for the Government to collect tax, that is its primary purpose. It’s not there to aid businesses. It definitely hinders business. On this point no debate is required. Most of the other boxes are codes that have zero meaning .10/26
Now unbeknown to me until January all hauliers use secondary software to over write onto CHIEF because is so hard to use. There is currently a 4 month waiting list for new installations of this software which costs £2K all in. 11/26
I have been imputing directly to CHIEF which I should add costs £157 per month to be able to access. Yes thats right folks you have to pay to tell the government how much your going to pay them. The first Brexit dividend. 12/26
Now after 14 days I finally complete my first C88 declaration but noticed I was paying the 3rd countries tariff. Odd I thought to myself I am sure just three weeks ago the U.K. signed an FTA with the EU to make all goods tariff free. So I used my contacts to find out more. 13/26
Now you would think that government would want to make using CHIEF as easy as possible as now there are millions of businesses having to use it. 14/26
So you would think that a call centre would be a good idea right? No wrong, this is the ONLY HMRC system where there is no number to call. Just an email with a 5 day turn around. Remember that when government say they are doing all they can to help. 15/26
So with the knowledge that government are not interested in making Brexit easy for businesses and in many cases businesses are just trying to survive, we have ploughed on regardless. 16/26
Again you would think if there is a FTA, CHIEF would apply it to all imports from that area/ country right? Wrong you have to claim it. Unbelievable! 17/26
Claiming a tariff free status was yesterday’s game with CHIEF. To be fair deep in the CHIEF files I found the notes to apply the codes to the system required (U 110 followed by AP for example) but problem is after triple checking, CHIEF has not been updated properly. 18/26
So once again I can’t import wine via my own means until I wait for CHIEF staff( normally five working days) for them to advise how to correct the problem and complete the declaration correctly tariff free. 19/26
So what does this all mean for the consumers? Well to supply the U.K. the exporter need to get a Rex document to prove the origin of their stock to the U.K. government (again, unbelievable). 20/26
Then with all the additional costs in Paperwork, time wasted, government fees to tell the government how much your paying them and delays in the supply chain it’s obvious price are upward bound. 21/26
So this is why I have been saying wine per bottle on retail will increase by at least £1 per bottle for mass market products, for niche small batch wines your looking at £1.50 or even £2.00 on the bottle prices. There’s another of those Brexit dividends. 22/26
This government have cocked up Brexit from day one. But I am now 100% sure that choice will reduce dramatically, price will increase dramatically, delays with increase dramatically and the U.K. wide depression is inevitable, and still the government couldn’t give a toss. 23/26
It’s why I will leave this country next year once my kids have finished there education. I am lucky and have a second nationality within the EU thanks to my father. 24/26
But for those that can’t leave I understand why you are angry and with what I can see your about have a lot more taken away from you than just freedom of movement. 25/26
The Tory party is no longer the Tory party. It is UKIP that has assumed control of the Tory party. They goal is clear, to commit economic vandalism and social vandalism on the U.K. whilst ensuring they get considerably wealthier. That is very sad for what was a great country.

END

seamstress Thu 21-Jan-21 08:50:01

Hauliers are finding few wish to take on UK orders because of all the red tape and increased costs. The fishing folk with unsold fish are being compensated - why would they need to be compensated if they voted for it? I thought it was all supposed to be marvellous!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:21:21

In the south. It is a huge Sainsbury’s and I have had difficulty since Christmas.

I am only shopping on line because DH is vulnerable so I am not prepared to take the risk of toddling to the food shops.

David0205 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:59:07

Although I am a independant “paddle my own canoe” person the reason I voted remain was because I decided the gains would not be worth the pain. After the result I expected an orderly change, not the Car Crash we have now.

Our economy was closely integrated with EU, it was so easy, now we are finding how much has to be unpicked and everything is now so difficult, it’s not “teething troubles” it’s going to be routine.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jan-21 10:12:53

Whitewavemark2

In the south. It is a huge Sainsbury’s and I have had difficulty since Christmas.

I am only shopping on line because DH is vulnerable so I am not prepared to take the risk of toddling to the food shops.

My online delivery was Sainsbury’s WW I am also in the South, maybe a problem with local distribution centre?

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 10:19:12

it’s not “teething troubles” it’s going to be routine.

On my Brexit Bingo card I have 'But we managed before we joined the EEC/EU' Marker poised ready to dot it...

(I've already dotted the 'We're fine here, what are you complaining about?' one...)

Of course, before we joined the Single Market didn't exist and everybody coped because that's what everybody in the world 'did'. (Apart, of course, from if you had an Empire, you're very own private 'single market'..) But the world has moved on, even if a lot of elderly people don't seem to have noticed.

We're still waiting to find out what overwhelming advantages there are to Brexit when all it's doing at the moment is making life very difficult for businesses and consumers alike in their dealings with the EU, our largest trading partner. And, because these difficulties are not teething troubles, or 'bumps in the road', but are an absolute and unalterable consequence of our choice to become a third country with a minimalist trade deal, then, however skilfully businesses mange to adapt, things will still be barriers to trade and will diminish the economic potential of the businesses that don't give up in disgust.

(I think most of us like to think we're 'independent, paddle our own canoes' people, David grin )

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:45:16

Shopping man just been.

Shortage of Broccoli, cauliflower etc because of Brexit.

Frozen totally sold out.

No deliveries due in from EU

I didn’t vote for this.

He said it is going to get much more difficult, and he is clearly being moaned at by customers. This is a remain area, and no doubt people are very resentful at this being laid upon them, when they warned and warned of the issues and were told that they were doing a Trump - false facts.

Remind me whose false facts were they?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:53:03

DH has just returned from our small Sainsbury’s Local (GC requested pizza for lunch, and I am on lazy mode) I asked him to have a look if they had veggies, particularly cauliflower, leeks, swedes they were all available, just double checked and they had broccoli.

MawBe Thu 21-Jan-21 11:57:01

Whitewave - I think you need to change your supermarket!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:10:43

MawBe

I’ll do another report next week.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:15:14

I have a big Sainsbury’s delivery due on Tuesday, will be interesting to see if my ordered veggies arrive, will post after putting food away.

MawBe Thu 21-Jan-21 12:16:11

GrannyGravy13

DH has just returned from our small Sainsbury’s Local (GC requested pizza for lunch, and I am on lazy mode) I asked him to have a look if they had veggies, particularly cauliflower, leeks, swedes they were all available, just double checked and they had broccoli.

Eurgh!
I hate broccoli! ???
Won’t be going to your supermarket GrannyGravy13?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:18:52

GrannyGravy13

I have a big Sainsbury’s delivery due on Tuesday, will be interesting to see if my ordered veggies arrive, will post after putting food away.

If you have no difficulties, I’m going to phone my Sainsbury’s to see exactly what is going on, as this is now the third shop where at least one fresh veg is not available. Bizarrely I can get stuff like red peppers and other out of season stuff it is the seasonal veg that is difficult.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:34:30

Very odd WW I have got into the routine of an online shop every 2-3 weeks, weekly local butchers for meat.

We then go to the local farm shop for fresh veggies/dairy products when necessary.

The only things which has been a bit hit and miss have been breaded chicken mini fillets for the GC, so I have started removing the mini fillets from chicken breasts and freezing them so that I can breadcrumb them myself when needed.

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 12:39:40

OMG!

Another Brexit thread turns into a shopping thread.

Is this some sort of deflection tactics?

prestbury Thu 21-Jan-21 13:40:37

MaizieD

OMG!

Another Brexit thread turns into a shopping thread.

Is this some sort of deflection tactics?

I hardly think it is a deflection from this Brexit thread when one poster is complaining that their seasonal vegetables are in short supply because of Brexit.

What does suprise me is that Sainsbury's should use this excuse, I always thought they supported British farmers as other supermarkets do.

MawBe Thu 21-Jan-21 14:03:04

I hardly think it is a deflection from this Brexit thread when one poster is complaining that their seasonal vegetables are in short supply because of Brexit

I do wonder if anything and everything will be blamed on Brexit - just as late delivery or poor customer service may or may not be laid at he door of Covid.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 14:07:05

MawBe

^I hardly think it is a deflection from this Brexit thread when one poster is complaining that their seasonal vegetables are in short supply because of Brexit^

I do wonder if anything and everything will be blamed on Brexit - just as late delivery or poor customer service may or may not be laid at he door of Covid.

Well if I ring and that is what I am told, that Brexit is to blame, I will have absolutely no reason to doubt them, as I have been on line shopping for at least 14 years and this has never happened previously.

Of course sometimes stuff doesn’t get delivered but not to the extent over the past three shops.

MayBee70 Thu 21-Jan-21 14:18:41

Haven’t had frozen broccoli from Tescos for a while. They keep substituting green beans which I don’t really like. We only have a small freezer compartment: in the process of getting something bigger when the pandemic kicked in. We like to eat broccoli every day for it’s health benefits. We give it to the dog, too.

muse Tue 26-Jan-21 20:35:03

5 days since the last comment on this thread. I've read back through since it started on 16th. My comment is Brexit related.

A few are saying there's been a lack of vegetables. Hope things are better for you now. I've just had my weekly Sainsbury's delivery. Been doing it for months. On Friday I will do my veggie click and collect from Morrisons. Started that at beg of January. Never really been a dramatic shortage of the veggies mentioned in this thread . For a couple of weeks there was no broccoli. Last week there were no aubergines. Can't comment about leeks, as I grow them.

A few blame Brexit for their shortages. Whitewavemark2 says Sainsbury's blame Brexit too. I'd be interested to know in what context they blame it.

All the vegetables I ordered last week have just arrived. Just ordered some more for next week including an aubergine (now back in stock).

My Sainsbury's orders seem to come from 4 different areas. Today's was from Truro. Past two weeks, from Penzance. Perhaps the problem was specific to your area Whitewavemark2. Hope they've sorted themselves out and you're having more success now.

Casdon Tue 26-Jan-21 20:48:41

There’s still a celery shortage, apparently it’s a Spanish import at this time of year - I asked at Morrisons last week and they said there is a National shortage in the UK.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Jan-21 20:48:52

Had my Sainsbury’s delivery late afternoon, fresh broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and root vegetables all as ordered.

Doodledog Tue 26-Jan-21 21:40:57

I am also having a lot of substitutions in my Sainsbury's orders.

I also think it's all very well for those who are able to go to 'their local farm shops', but a lot of people don't have that luxury, either because they don't drive, or don't have a car, or because they live in an area which doesn't have local farm shops.

I think it's safe to say that those who are comfortable will manage to get by (what an aspiration!), but all of us will be poorer, both financially and in terms of choices, and those who already have least will suffer the most (again, in more ways than one), and it's really difficult to know what any of us is getting in return.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 21:50:04

Veg aisles looked fully stocked when I was shopping on Sunday. I'll try to remember to photograph them next time I'm there.

growstuff Tue 26-Jan-21 22:07:09

MawBe

Don't change to Tesco. I've had three or four items of fresh veggies plus frozen stuff missing in all of my deliveries since New Year. I've never known so many missing items.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 23:01:19

Our daughter has a huge Tesco delivery every week as she and son in law like to cook from fresh. Loads of fruit and veggies. No missing items - I asked her about them tonight.

Afraid I’m with Maw on this. Everything negative for the next ‘x’ years will be down to Brexit.

Bash on!