Gransnet forums

News & politics

Civility and decency

(35 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:06:46

Today we see the end of lies, corruption, and immorality in the leadership of the USA

I envy them.

Sarnia Wed 20-Jan-21 16:32:08

Biden has to be a better choice than Trump but he inherits a divided and bitter country. At 78 he is the oldest President and looks it. He comes over as a decent man but I doubt he has the stamina and sheer grit he will need for the task ahead.

aggie Wed 20-Jan-21 16:34:14

Great to see Trump gone , but the Inauguration is a bit crowded , I know they all have masks , this is only a limited protection , they are all too close !

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 17:13:56

One thing for sure Trump nor Johnson could never give the speech delivered by Biden. Neither one of them are capable.

Pitch perfect

varian Wed 20-Jan-21 18:32:31

I am a lot more impressed with President Biden now than I was when he was selected at the Democratic candidate.

I was concerned about his age but he seems to be in good health and on top form, so long may he prosper and succeed.

PollyDolly Wed 20-Jan-21 18:47:28

varian

I am a lot more impressed with President Biden now than I was when he was selected at the Democratic candidate.

I was concerned about his age but he seems to be in good health and on top form, so long may he prosper and succeed.

Biden is only 4 years older than Trump.........

Fennel Wed 20-Jan-21 19:03:55

WW2 - I agree that it's a relief to see the back of Trump but doubt that corruption etc will end here.
It's been going on for ages and will continue.
I've been watching All the President's Men over the last few evenings. About Nixon's presidency. Implies that corruption is a natural part of politics. Here too.
But no excuse not to clean out the Augean stables.

varian Wed 20-Jan-21 19:08:38

President Biden may be only four years older than Trump but he is a grown up-. a man of mature judgement and decent principles, not a narcissistic , mysoginistic. racist. ignorant apology for a man with the maturity of a petulant toddler.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 19:11:58

Fennel

WW2 - I agree that it's a relief to see the back of Trump but doubt that corruption etc will end here.
It's been going on for ages and will continue.
I've been watching All the President's Men over the last few evenings. About Nixon's presidency. Implies that corruption is a natural part of politics. Here too.
But no excuse not to clean out the Augean stables.

We must never accept it though, it must never be normalised.

Just one day and look how different it feels?

I so wish for a prime minister with a similar outlook

varian Fri 22-Jan-21 13:37:54

In the 1941 Orson Welles epic “Citizen Kane,” newspapermen huddle near the printing press on election night as it becomes clear that the results won’t be good news for their boss, the publishing mogul Charles Foster Kane.

One of them holds up a front page with the headline they had hoped for: “Kane Elected.” He then lowers his head and nods toward the version they have to go with instead. “Fraud at Polls!” it declares.

www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/us/politics/voter-fraud-claims.html

Apparently "Citizen Kane" is one of Trump's favourite films and he liked to rewind various scenes, including the one which seems to be the origin of his biggest lie.