Gransnet forums

News & politics

The he UK is doomed

(109 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:40:10

I have just seen this on the BBC website, what on earth is wrong with people.
We will never be out of this Covid nightmare until EVERYONE takes it seriously and abides by the guidelines!!!

J52 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:34:51

Just posted on a different thread, but here goes again.
People breaking the rules should be fined and also make a public apology and give an explanation why they are so special.
Time to name and shame.

Ellianne Fri 22-Jan-21 12:35:11

Luckygirl

Glad they got a hefty fine - and a criminal record.

With the average cost of a UK wedding being £35k, and no doubt 400 guests would have greatly increased that figure, I doubt whether a £10k fine would have bothered them too much.

I assume the family had some connection with the school which in its aims states:
To develop in each girl a moral understanding and a range of skills, talents and values, in particular, modesty, tolerance, respect of others, courtesy and general demeanour as a בת ישראל (Bas Yisroel - daughter of Israel)
A bit hypocritical then.

Missfoodlove Fri 22-Jan-21 12:43:26

Haredi is a very unusual form of Judaism.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwigiJ3qx6_uAhUEQUEAHR8KDz4QFjAEegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ynetnews.com%2Farticles%2F0%2C7340%2CL-4368141%2C00.html&usg=AOvVaw3U_tJEcp_pTj7pJv54ayKO

It doesn’t get much stranger than this!

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jan-21 12:43:45

Oh dear. I hadn't read about the type of school. This will no doubt cause lots of local friction. ?

MissAdventure Fri 22-Jan-21 12:50:16

The community here are hasidic Jews, just to be clear.

I've no idea what the differences are.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:59:47

Hasidic is a sub-form of Haredi Judaism which started in 18th Century Western Ukraine according to Google

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jan-21 13:04:54

Yes, I'd read that the community had a large Charedi population but hadn't made assumptions about the wedding. Just assumed a school hall had been hired out.

Now, non Jewish people are likely to lump everyone together as they have done to muslims in lots of Muslim areas. It just makes me sad. There was another thing about "Travellers" at a funeral etc etc.

Mini2020 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:08:09

Smileless2012

They should be publicly named and shamed and I hope every single person was fined.

Totally agree Smileless2012

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:09:28

NotSpaghetti hopefully not, but as MissA has pointed out when any group of people are seen to be flouting guidelines it will cause resentment in the local area.

This includes teenagers and even some Grans on GN who have admitted flouting guidelines in the belief that they are a special case

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 13:09:36

OMG! What's going on here?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:12:07

The school has released a statement saying the Hall is let out and managed by a separate organisation and the school had no knowledge of the event.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 13:22:15

Grannygravy This happened in Stamford Hill, north London, an area with a large orthodox jewish population (not all Charedis) I believe this group would be described as ultra orthodox, who would not want to integrate with the local community anyway.

The venue for this event is in one of the schools they run for the children in their group as they do not want them to attend state schools.

GillT57 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:24:17

Truly disgusting behaviour. I wonder if this particular community are also antivax like some ultra Orthodox communities in New York are, and subsequently were responsible for a huge outbreak in measles. There should be a fine for every adult who attended this event and a demand for the guest list from the parents of the bride and groom. The statement by the school is mealy mouthed and pathetic GG13, as owners they are responsible, besides which no events should be held. I assume the school will now cease doing business with the separate organisation who manage the hall?

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:28:33

growstuff

sad

If you mean what I think you mean, I'm with you....

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:33:18

growstuff

I started the thread because 400 people held a wedding party whilst the UK is in total lockdown.

Regardless of race/religion whilst thoughtless people carry on like this it’s no wonder why the UK is awash with Covid-19

Oldbat1 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:34:23

Very very selfish and totally unacceptable. I don’t think the fine will be a deterrent.

Ellianne Fri 22-Jan-21 13:35:35

There should be a fine for every adult who attended this event
isn't that what was announced yesterday by Priti Patel to deter individuals, not just fining the organisers?

beverly10 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:37:19

Biba70
Your daughter is sensible.So why I ask is the G20 summit being held in Cornwall or even being held at this year when covid'does not take prisoners'

GillT57 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:40:30

Ellianne

^There should be a fine for every adult who attended this event^
isn't that what was announced yesterday by Priti Patel to deter individuals, not just fining the organisers?

Yes, it was announced at £800 each I believe? The parents of the bride and groom should be able to provide a guest list. There is absolutely no excuse for this event, this is not a small wedding of the permitted 30 or whatever it is, which ran over by a couple of aunties, it is a massive event which involved the rabbi, caterers, providers of music, chairs ,tables, all the paraphernalia of a wedding in a hall. All of these are complicit and all should be fined.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Jan-21 13:41:38

Ah well they won't be strapped for cash if they're held to paying their fines, then it can be handed in to the NHS as compensation towards all the other nerds who staff have looked after for flouting the rules. That'll teach them !

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:43:49

beverly10

Biba70
Your daughter is sensible.So why I ask is the G20 summit being held in Cornwall or even being held at this year when covid'does not take prisoners'

Absolutely no reason why the G20 summit cannot be transformed into a virtual summit

EllanVannin Fri 22-Jan-21 13:45:32

No thanks to the selfishness of these people and those like them we're never going to see the end of this pandemic, not this year anyway, vaccine or not.

trisher Fri 22-Jan-21 13:56:07

I'm not sure quite what is going on here. I googled to find out more about the Haredi community and found this article from the last lock down. www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/26/how-a-haredi-community-in-london-is-coping-with-coronavirus-photo-essay
It shows volunteer ambulance groups. Says all synagogues are closed and details family responses. 'm going to do more research but it is wrong to condemn whole communities for the actions of some people.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:00:38

trisher the only people being as you put it condemned are the 400 wedding attendees.

Dragonella Fri 22-Jan-21 14:01:42

Luckygirl

Glad they got a hefty fine - and a criminal record.

They may not have a criminal record. Sometimes these expire once the fine has been paid.

According to the report, only FIVE people were fined the £200 each. Presumably all the others had 'fled the scene.'

The organisers should be forced to give a list of guests' names/addresses, or be charged with wasting police time.