Gransnet forums

News & politics

The he UK is doomed

(109 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:40:10

I have just seen this on the BBC website, what on earth is wrong with people.
We will never be out of this Covid nightmare until EVERYONE takes it seriously and abides by the guidelines!!!

JaneJudge Sat 23-Jan-21 11:47:29

out of interest I looked at my local papers and bbc site yesterday to see if there were gatherings in my region and most of them have apparently been huge funerals (150+)

MawBe Sat 23-Jan-21 11:49:03

annodomini

Treasons *MawBe^? Now I'm worried. I didn't know it was actually treasonable to read and quote the Torygraph?

Freudian slip Annodomini gringrin

Elegran Sat 23-Jan-21 12:22:22

I don't see anyone discriminating against the Haredi community (if the wedding was in fact one within that community - I haven't seen that definitely stated) They are a group which "keeps themselves to themselves", they do dislike and largely ignore television and the media and they adhere to their own god-given rules over manmade ones.

These traits are nothing to criticise them for - but inevitably they do come into contact with those outside their own group, and in this pandemic situation that does expose them to the infection from others, and also the other way round. Contact distributes the virus, and they cannot be unaware of that fact, from their own experience. No man is an island, and neither is any group or community.

Saying that is not discrimination.

Smileless2012 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:36:51

With reference your earlier post MawBe what annoys me is that only one person was fined; they should have all been finedangry.

Elegran Sat 23-Jan-21 14:00:04

Most of the guests fled the scene. Five others have had smaller fines. I read somewhere that more fines may be imposed, but I can't find it now.

25Avalon Sat 23-Jan-21 14:06:10

Police called today to the locked football ground. Idiots had scaled the gates and were having a training session! Apart from breaking and entry was in contravention of covid lockdown rules. Wasn’t kids either. Hope they all get fined.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Jan-21 14:42:40

www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-police-officers-break-lockdown-rules-fined-b900407.html

M0nica Sun 24-Jan-21 09:01:20

This morning it was reported on the R4 religious programme 'Sunday' that this event was one of many such events to have been organised by this community. A photographer who was commissioned to take photographs at them said she had attended 9 during lockdown in her professional capacity. She stopped doing it in October, when her conscience and the risks involved, over rode her need to earn a living.

There is a fine line in pointing to one particular community and saying you, as a group, are deliberately flouting the rules and must conform to the rules of the wider community on certain points, especially at the present, with the treatment of the Uighur people in China. But on a narrow issue of public health and behaviour, where the behaviour is putting the wider community at risk, then I think they must conform or be sanctioned.

This is a small community and all the events are held in buildings owned by the group. it cannot be a large number of buildings and it should be possible for the police in the areas to closely monitor the use of the buildings, while leaving the community to continue with their lives and occupations without any suggestion of harrasment. They are unlikely to be allowed to hire any hall elsewhere during lockdown.