Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good Post-Brexit news!!!

(77 Posts)
Sarnia Sat 23-Jan-21 10:05:27

Despite all the doom merchants saying that Nissan would close their Sunderland plant, the company have confirmed that they are here to stay as 'Brexit gives them a competitive advantage'. As Nissan employ 75,000 people there must be some very relieved and happy employees and their families in the North-East. Happy Brexit news!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Jan-21 15:29:22

MaizieD lots of skate wings along with many other types of fish in Essex still, the boats go out from Leigh-on-Sea, and they deliver your orders direct to your door.

Along with all varieties of shellfish.

seamstress Sun 24-Jan-21 15:40:07

Do they deliver to your door if you live in Newcastle?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Jan-21 15:51:04

seamstress

Do they deliver to your door if you live in Newcastle?

I get meat delivered from Scotland, there are many fish/meat companies delivering nationwide at the moment due to the fact that their usual buyers (hospitality industry) are not open.

James Martin the chef has details on his website as do many other chefs.

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-Jan-21 16:01:07

I see that these (Essex fish and Nissan) are really still not good news unless the status-quo obtaining is good news.
The Nissan thing is good in that jobs won’t be lost but is not so good if you’d rather buy, say, an Audi!

MaizieD Sun 24-Jan-21 18:45:52

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD lots of skate wings along with many other types of fish in Essex still, the boats go out from Leigh-on-Sea, and they deliver your orders direct to your door.

Along with all varieties of shellfish.

I'm glad to hear that, *GG138. That's the one thing I really missed in my Northern exile, a good range of fish on sale! For a long time the only choices have mainly been cod, haddock and plaice...

But Essex is a coastal county. Inland doesn't look so good.

Jane10 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:50:30

flump there was always paperwork. Now it's a matter of getting certain codes absolutely right as they then trigger various exemptions as appropriate to the cargo. Obviously, there are training issues but once people grasp the changes import/export should go more smoothly than currently.

Espana Sun 24-Jan-21 18:59:22

Give it a rest. Those who voted remain will never let it go until the rest of us are abjectly weeping with remorse. They will wait a very long time!

biba70 Sun 24-Jan-21 19:05:59

lol says someone who calls her (him) self Espana ...

won't be long actually.

Espana Sun 24-Jan-21 19:12:37

As I said: give it a rest.

MaizieD Sun 24-Jan-21 19:43:09

Espana

As I said: give it a rest.

Why?

Espana Sun 24-Jan-21 20:44:56

Can’t be bothered. Getting on with something more interesting and productive. Really feel that the naysayers really would like our nation to be brought low just to be proved right! Churchill would have something to tell you.

varian Sun 24-Jan-21 20:57:02

Churchill was pro- Europe and pro EU.

biba70 Sun 24-Jan-21 20:58:35

Indeed. I certainly won't ge giving it a rest, for sure.

But your name, in this context, is more than a bit 'strange'.

varian Sun 24-Jan-21 21:01:06

Why would someone chose "espana" as a username? Possibly because they live in Spain?

biba70 Sun 24-Jan-21 21:02:24

or love travelling and spending time in Spain?

vegansrock Sun 24-Jan-21 21:57:34

There’s a difference between teething problems and having all your teeth extracted.

MaizieD Sun 24-Jan-21 22:23:03

vegansrock

There’s a difference between teething problems and having all your teeth extracted.

Sometimes I wish we had a 'like' facility grin

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:55:20

varian

Churchill was pro- Europe and pro EU.

Methinks Espana didn’t know that. But, if they did can they explain what exactlyChurchill would tell me. Probably that we’d just left the greatest peace keeping initiative in history perhaps.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:16:09

And moaning and complaining about it helps because...?

biba70 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:04:55

Even if it is just to make us feel a little bit better to share our dismay with like minded people- it is worth it.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:25:04

Oh well rant and moan away if it makes you feel better but it's more likely to have the opposite effect.
However, this thread was started for good news re brexit and despite good news being posted you've dragged it back to complaining. Why not start your own 'Brexit is awful' thread and let us pragmatists share positive information?

MayBee70 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:31:06

Jane10

And moaning and complaining about it helps because...?

Feel free to call it moaning and complaining. It’s your democratic right. But we also have a right to hold people to account for the lies and false promises. That’s our democratic right.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:35:13

Just listening to a wine importer about systematic difficulties and cost since Brexit.

Bloody hell!!

biba70 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:38:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 11:42:10

Can we eat skate wings from Essex whilst sitting our Nissans? grin

MayBee70, I did think the other day how much better the NHS will be doing this January what with all the extra money promised to them whilst people went out to vote for Brexit and the NHS.