Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop complianing about lockdown. Thre are others a lot worse off

(102 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 24-Jan-21 13:43:05

Flicking through the photos of the week on the Observer web site I came across a photo of two children in a displaced persons camp in Syria. Their shelter is made of blankets strung up with rocks piled along the ground, presumably to keep the blankets anchored. There has been heavy rain and the two are leaning out from their makeshift home to feel the rain and smiling. The ground is waterlogged.

We, or some of us, are whinging about lockdown. I know that many are suffering from confined spaces, no jobs and a shortage of money. I know that it's difficult. But for most of us, our current situation does not in anyway compare to the plight of these children and refugees the world over.

I'm not suggesting that any one of you gives money, or complains to the govt or signs petitions but just to think, next time you feel sorry for yourself, about the poor people the world over who are in a far worse situation that you have ever, or hopefully will ever, experience.

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 16:01:16

grin grin

janeainsworth Mon 25-Jan-21 16:28:54

There is no continuity, if you need a new appointment or new orthotics you have to go back to the GP and be re-referred

Standard waiting list management strategy wink

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 16:43:48

Supposed cost saving I think.
However, it annoys the GP

Riverwalk Mon 25-Jan-21 16:59:48

Callistemon

Riverwalk

Annie obviously I don't know your financial situation but could you not pay for a private podiatrist to visit you to attend to your feet?

And a local person to come in every fortnight or so to change your bed linen?

I know there are charities that do such things but expect they are at crisis point themselves.

You can't have people come to the house, though, that's the problem I think.
Age Concern have a podiatry service which you do have to pay for but that is suspended at the moment. The Welsh NHS Podiatry service is telephone appointments only for the time being.

Podiatry is a medical service so they can come to your house, just like a district nurse, GP, carer etc.

A friend is a podiatrist in London and working as usual.

Anniebach Mon 25-Jan-21 17:33:32

London isn’t in Wales , we have a health minister who thinks 23% is equal to 70%

Lucca Mon 25-Jan-21 18:31:20

Anniebach what a horrible situation for you and you are NOT whingeing. Are there any grans who live near who could at least try to help you to organise some help,?

Gwyneth you seem to be lacking in the milk of human kindness today ! You posted earlier that teaching unions care neither for teachers welfare nor children’s education.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 19:23:56

Anniebach

London isn’t in Wales , we have a health minister who thinks 23% is equal to 70%

grin
He may not know what Podiatry is, Anniebach

Anniebach Mon 25-Jan-21 20:59:57

Lucca thank you. I didn’t mean to turn this thread into my
problems, I just felt cross about the O/P who has no idea what
problems people have, fact - abuse of women and children has
soared , tell a woman with bruises from a battering ‘there are worse off than you ‘ , no way will that ease her fear.

Callistemon I doubt he knows much about anything , plonker. I was told many years ago ‘the Welsh would vote Labour if there was a donkey standing ‘ , it’s happen , at least two donkeys there

Lucca Mon 25-Jan-21 22:49:50

Oddly enough my mother would have voted for a monkey if it had worn a blue rosette !

Seriously though I do feel there must be some help you could access?

MayBee70 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:14:17

It’s true that there are many people far worse off than me. However, having not seen my grandchildren in the flesh (other than once at a distance for a fleeting moment) for almost a year because I’ve made a point of shielding I did receive lots of photos tonight (have just worked out how to access them on my iPad) and cried my eyes out. Also found out that my dogs brother and sister are both going to become parents and that set me off again. Have been very stoic up till tonight.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 06:51:57

MayBeeflowers

PippaZ Tue 26-Jan-21 08:10:06

I don't think asking people to think of the people is Syria is helpful but equally the medias constant "are we nearly there yet" questions about opening schools and telling our children and young people just how badly off we thing they are does not help either.

I agree with an early "Hetty58" post on this. How we react is determined by the conditioning we have received in the past.

Surely the best thing we could be doing now is to teach those young people resilience and to promise the country will learn from the near collapse in places of state run institutions which have been held together, often and mainly, only by the staff in them digging very deeply into their on store of resilience.

If life goes very "wrong" the first thing is to understand that in that instance we need to survive, not be happy. You can easily find a list of what helps to strengthen your resilience but perhaps the most important at the moment is to have realistic expectations. That is one the government needs to practise in their announcements and 'briefings'.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 08:16:17

Horrendous scenes in the Netherlands. Huge anti lockdown riots. Police and army in riot gear, tear gas etc. Sounds awful as well as being pretty counter productive in reducing infection rates.
I'd always thought of the Dutch as being more sensible somehow.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:55:30

Yes Jane10 it’s awful. Can’t help wondering if the people behind it are of similar persuasion to those who stormed the Capitol 3 weeks ago.
I think our government’s hesitancy in imposing strict lockdown measures earlier on was st least partly driven by the fear that similar things could happen here.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:00:37

There were also large ani-lockdown protests in Denmark over the weekend.

MayBee70 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:46:25

I despair of people. The anti mask/vacc/lockdown people upset me as much as the pandemic itself. I can’t believe the stupidity of so many when the rest of us are doing everything we can not just to protect ourselves but protect those around us. What don’t they understand?

PippaZ Tue 26-Jan-21 11:15:45

Countries seem to have moved from a social/liberal general overall view of life to a libertarian one with Trump and Johnson being examples of this.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 12:22:45

Pippa agreed, and along with that, a proliferation of far-right hate groups.
I don’t know how it can be stopped.

Dinahmo Tue 26-Jan-21 13:14:40

I do wish that people would read posts thoroughly. There are so many misunderstandings on this thread and on many others. I qualified every statement in my OP by saying "some of us", "I know that many......", "most of us"....

Annibach I am fully aware of how some people are suffering very badly. I did say that some people are whinging, not all people. I hope that you manage to get some assistance soon.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 13:34:35

Yes you qualify your observations with ‘some of us’ etc Dinahmo but then you went on to address us directly:
just to think, next time you feel sorry for yourself, about the poor people the world over who are in a far worse situation that you have ever, or hopefully will ever, experience
That sounds like, and felt like, a lecture that applied to everyone reading it.

eazybee Tue 26-Jan-21 13:38:22

Dinahmo, just to say that I agree with your original post which I take simply to mean, count your blessings and get on with it, which to me in my life has been a great help.

[I still cherish my mother's comment when my marriage was breaking up and my husband was being particularly obstructive: 'well easy, you can never say your life is dull.'
It helped.]

And as you say, not to everyone, not to all, not in all circumstances.

Dinahmo Tue 26-Jan-21 14:12:46

eazybee Thank you

Anniebach Tue 26-Jan-21 14:25:57

Dianahmo you last paragraph was not addressed to ‘some’ but to ‘anyone’ and I didn’t like ‘feeling sorry for yourself’ , -
self pity !

Your post reminded me of ‘I cried because I had no shoes etc’

Bridgeit Tue 26-Jan-21 15:27:59

Dinahmo, thanks for putting forward a gentle reminder that there are so many who’s lives are so desperately awful compared to that of so many of us.
It is desperately sad that the inequalities of yesteryear still exist & always will.
I haven‘t referred to the teachings of Jesus in many a year , but I do always remember The parable of The Widows Might’
It’s as relevant today as it always was. So even one kind thought is of great Value to someone, all, or many .

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 15:37:02

Dinahmo having read your OP
I've been putting it off but have resolved to finish off what I'm making, parcel it up and send it off asap.