Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop complianing about lockdown. Thre are others a lot worse off

(102 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 24-Jan-21 13:43:05

Flicking through the photos of the week on the Observer web site I came across a photo of two children in a displaced persons camp in Syria. Their shelter is made of blankets strung up with rocks piled along the ground, presumably to keep the blankets anchored. There has been heavy rain and the two are leaning out from their makeshift home to feel the rain and smiling. The ground is waterlogged.

We, or some of us, are whinging about lockdown. I know that many are suffering from confined spaces, no jobs and a shortage of money. I know that it's difficult. But for most of us, our current situation does not in anyway compare to the plight of these children and refugees the world over.

I'm not suggesting that any one of you gives money, or complains to the govt or signs petitions but just to think, next time you feel sorry for yourself, about the poor people the world over who are in a far worse situation that you have ever, or hopefully will ever, experience.

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jan-21 11:46:28

I do feel compassion for all people who are struggling.

Really?

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 11:46:44

Anniebach you're all me, me, me!

Ps you know I don't mean it flowers, I wish I could come and help you.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 11:48:49

I'm not good with toenails though, sorry.

janeainsworth Mon 25-Jan-21 11:55:52

Annie I’ve just looked back at the thread and my post at 11.10 wasn't directed at you & I hope you didn’t think it was. My post actually crossed with yours.

It was in reply to Gwyneth.

nanna8 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:03:25

Annie Bach keep battling on. Can you get any help from your local council? Thoughts and love heading your way ... ?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:06:07

Anniebach flowers

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jan-21 12:07:29

Are there any church members who might be able to help in some way annie?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:08:09

All folks are experiencing Lockdown difficulties, who is to say that their difficulties are not as bad as others?

Problems are extremely real and relevant to those experiencing them.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 12:12:24

Seriously, Anniebach is there anyone near who could help you or have you tried Age Concern at all to see what help is available, just so that you could get a good night's sleep in your own bed?

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 12:17:10

Anniebach, you need to get in touch with social services surely? or the good neighbours scheme at the very least? Podiatrists are still working if you need your feet seeing to sad you can't live like this.

When I read the OP, I did think we most probably have many people REALLY struggling in our country, maybe not to a comparable reality of poor refugees but lots of people have been left without care or without adequate care and unpaid carers fill a void at no cost and they need support to function too. I think Annie's post has unfortunately highlighted that

Smileless2012 Mon 25-Jan-21 12:24:24

Annieflowersx

Anniebach Mon 25-Jan-21 12:37:25

Thank you all x I am ok, I posted my whinge because I thought the O/P was cruel, there are posters on this forum who don’t have anyone to talk to, they post when they are distressed and accused of whinging, this could stop some for reaching out .

Just sorted out having to sleep on sofa, will buy a sleeping bag,
I learned something from my time as a Cub Mistress ?

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jan-21 13:07:38

There must be people from your church who might come in and change your bed for you. Please reach out and ask.

And you are definitely entitled to Attendance Allowance - you could buy in some help with that. If you need help filling in the form I am your girl!!

Riverwalk Mon 25-Jan-21 13:11:43

Annie obviously I don't know your financial situation but could you not pay for a private podiatrist to visit you to attend to your feet?

And a local person to come in every fortnight or so to change your bed linen?

I know there are charities that do such things but expect they are at crisis point themselves.

lemongrove Mon 25-Jan-21 13:15:50

Hello Anniebach I did wonder that you aren’t posting as much on GN so arthritis explains it, a horrible painful condition.Take care of yourself, and as others say, tell your GP surgery about your feet problems, I know Covid has brought many things to a standstill but see what they can offer??

ginny Mon 25-Jan-21 13:22:07

The thing is that most of the people who as some say ‘ whinge’ do just get on with it. We have no choice really.
A gold medal to all those who never feel sad or lonely, bully for you.

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 13:28:39

Yes you can whinge and be resilient grin

growstuff Mon 25-Jan-21 14:52:12

ginny

The thing is that most of the people who as some say ‘ whinge’ do just get on with it. We have no choice really.
A gold medal to all those who never feel sad or lonely, bully for you.

The gold medal should go to those who do feel sad and lonely, but manage to deal with the sadness and loneliness. There's nothing brave about not suffering from something.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 15:26:04

Riverwalk

Annie obviously I don't know your financial situation but could you not pay for a private podiatrist to visit you to attend to your feet?

And a local person to come in every fortnight or so to change your bed linen?

I know there are charities that do such things but expect they are at crisis point themselves.

You can't have people come to the house, though, that's the problem I think.
Age Concern have a podiatry service which you do have to pay for but that is suspended at the moment. The Welsh NHS Podiatry service is telephone appointments only for the time being.

ginny Mon 25-Jan-21 15:26:31

growstuff that is what I am saying. I was being sarcastic.

growstuff Mon 25-Jan-21 15:33:04

ginny

growstuff that is what I am saying. I was being sarcastic.

grin

janeainsworth Mon 25-Jan-21 15:51:44

The Welsh NHS Podiatry service is telephone appointments only for the time being
Callistemon The wonders of technologygrin

JaneJudge Mon 25-Jan-21 15:55:26

lol @ telephone podiatry
We had a podiatrist (private) treat my daughter though but we were in tier 4 , she was PPE up the hilt and I am not in Wales. I wish I was but I'm not - not for their telephone podiatry service of course, I was thinking more for the mountains and the sea

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 15:58:20

Yes, you'd think they'd at least be by Zoom so they could inspect the state of your feet. ??
I didn't think they did toenails here anyway.

In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if they do anything at all, they seem to have shut up shop. There is no continuity, if you need a new appointment or new orthotics you have to go back to the GP and be re-referred.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 16:00:16

The sea's just as far away unless you're in the coast! grin
And the mountains are great if you have good feet.