Gransnet forums

News & politics

The E.U. And AstraZeneca row.

(364 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 22:41:30

It seems to be escalating. It’s quite worrying.

From this my understanding is that EU supplies from AstraZeneca would be in place now if they had ordered like we did in May and the shortfall is because they didn't. On top of that they refused an offer of an extra 300 million jabs from Pfizer in favour of the French vaccine which won't be ready until late this year. In other words they cocked it up badly and now expect to hijack our vaccine. The arrogance is breathtaking.

And why was Ireland prevented from buying vaccines outside of the EU program.... When Germany was allowed to.?

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:55:19

GrannyGravy13

Matt Hancock has just said at the press bulletin that Test and Trace is now 95% effective. It’s taken awhile, but better late than never.

It’s 10 months too late.....tell that to the people that have died or have long COVID....

Sarnia Mon 01-Feb-21 18:01:15

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Yes hopefully the Chinese Government will apologise to the rest of the world for not advising them that they had discovered a deadly pandemic in Wuhan right away, rather than covering it up for at least a month!

I won't hold my breath for the Chinese Government to become honest and transparent. So many deaths and misery can be laid at their door.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:13:25

MayBee70

GrannyGravy13

Matt Hancock has just said at the press bulletin that Test and Trace is now 95% effective. It’s taken awhile, but better late than never.

It’s 10 months too late.....tell that to the people that have died or have long COVID....

Would you rather T & T not to be working?

Casdon Mon 01-Feb-21 18:17:27

Test and Trace has been working effectively in Wales for months - run by Public Heath Wales, the local authorities and NHS. No bungs.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:42:37

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

GrannyGravy13

Would you rather T & T not to be working?

I would have preferred it to be working 10 months ago....

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:45:52

Sarnia

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Yes hopefully the Chinese Government will apologise to the rest of the world for not advising them that they had discovered a deadly pandemic in Wuhan right away, rather than covering it up for at least a month!

I won't hold my breath for the Chinese Government to become honest and transparent. So many deaths and misery can be laid at their door.

Absolutely. Also the WHO needs to apologise for being too late recognising it as a pandemic and also not advising people to wear face masks. Many mistakes have been made and everyone should be held accountable for them. Just as credit should be given to those that deserve it. I think we can all agree on that.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:56:16

Lots of mistakes have been made, one by one they are being rectified. I have to look to the future and hope that we can slowly return to a way of life close to what we had in 2019.

Five/Ten years down the line there will be many enquiries worldwide, unfortunately I am fearful that the truth of the source of infection and the consequential cover up will never be made public knowledge.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 21:13:32

“Brexiter glee is achingly potent this week, a visceral punch to us remainers, pole-axed to find Boris Johnson right and the European Union behaving outrageously.

The European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, a medical doctor and mother of seven, has fallen off her superwoman pedestal.“

- Polly Toynbee in the Guardian, today.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 22:02:51

Yet another example of someone who is capable of admitting when her side got it wrong. Something everyone should do. imo

GagaJo Mon 01-Feb-21 22:05:39

It was certainly nice to be able to point out that the UK has the highest rate of vaccination in Europe in the staff room today.

On the other hand, someone asked me if I had had the call about MY vaccination yet. Which was a bit of a blow, because it is only the elderly being vaccinated and although I am older, I didn't realise I was perceived as being elderly!

MayBee70 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:28:50

Don’t suppose anyone can do a link, to balance things out, to Polly Toynbee article in today’s Guardian (I still can’t do links on my iPad I’m afraid).

Alegrias1 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:55:31

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/01/eu-missteps-vaccines-brexit-fatal-error

Here it is MayBee70

MayBee70 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:04:36

Thanks Algerias....