Gransnet forums

News & politics

The E.U. And AstraZeneca row.

(364 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 22:41:30

It seems to be escalating. It’s quite worrying.

From this my understanding is that EU supplies from AstraZeneca would be in place now if they had ordered like we did in May and the shortfall is because they didn't. On top of that they refused an offer of an extra 300 million jabs from Pfizer in favour of the French vaccine which won't be ready until late this year. In other words they cocked it up badly and now expect to hijack our vaccine. The arrogance is breathtaking.

And why was Ireland prevented from buying vaccines outside of the EU program.... When Germany was allowed to.?

MayBee70 Tue 02-Feb-21 13:04:36

Thanks Algerias....

Alegrias1 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:55:31

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/01/eu-missteps-vaccines-brexit-fatal-error

Here it is MayBee70

MayBee70 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:28:50

Don’t suppose anyone can do a link, to balance things out, to Polly Toynbee article in today’s Guardian (I still can’t do links on my iPad I’m afraid).

GagaJo Mon 01-Feb-21 22:05:39

It was certainly nice to be able to point out that the UK has the highest rate of vaccination in Europe in the staff room today.

On the other hand, someone asked me if I had had the call about MY vaccination yet. Which was a bit of a blow, because it is only the elderly being vaccinated and although I am older, I didn't realise I was perceived as being elderly!

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 22:02:51

Yet another example of someone who is capable of admitting when her side got it wrong. Something everyone should do. imo

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 21:13:32

“Brexiter glee is achingly potent this week, a visceral punch to us remainers, pole-axed to find Boris Johnson right and the European Union behaving outrageously.

The European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, a medical doctor and mother of seven, has fallen off her superwoman pedestal.“

- Polly Toynbee in the Guardian, today.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:56:16

Lots of mistakes have been made, one by one they are being rectified. I have to look to the future and hope that we can slowly return to a way of life close to what we had in 2019.

Five/Ten years down the line there will be many enquiries worldwide, unfortunately I am fearful that the truth of the source of infection and the consequential cover up will never be made public knowledge.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:45:52

Sarnia

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Yes hopefully the Chinese Government will apologise to the rest of the world for not advising them that they had discovered a deadly pandemic in Wuhan right away, rather than covering it up for at least a month!

I won't hold my breath for the Chinese Government to become honest and transparent. So many deaths and misery can be laid at their door.

Absolutely. Also the WHO needs to apologise for being too late recognising it as a pandemic and also not advising people to wear face masks. Many mistakes have been made and everyone should be held accountable for them. Just as credit should be given to those that deserve it. I think we can all agree on that.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:42:37

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

GrannyGravy13

Matt Hancock has just said at the press bulletin that Test and Trace is now 95% effective. It’s taken awhile, but better late than never.

It’s 10 months too late.....tell that to the people that have died or have long COVID....

Would you rather T & T not to be working?

I would have preferred it to be working 10 months ago....

Casdon Mon 01-Feb-21 18:17:27

Test and Trace has been working effectively in Wales for months - run by Public Heath Wales, the local authorities and NHS. No bungs.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 18:13:25

MayBee70

GrannyGravy13

Matt Hancock has just said at the press bulletin that Test and Trace is now 95% effective. It’s taken awhile, but better late than never.

It’s 10 months too late.....tell that to the people that have died or have long COVID....

Would you rather T & T not to be working?

Sarnia Mon 01-Feb-21 18:01:15

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Yes hopefully the Chinese Government will apologise to the rest of the world for not advising them that they had discovered a deadly pandemic in Wuhan right away, rather than covering it up for at least a month!

I won't hold my breath for the Chinese Government to become honest and transparent. So many deaths and misery can be laid at their door.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:55:19

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:53:49

Good point Jane!

JaneJudge Mon 01-Feb-21 17:52:09

GrannyGravy13

is it only 95% effective because we are in lockdown though?

petra Mon 01-Feb-21 17:47:54

Jaxjacky

I think it would be interesting to know what the people who live in Europe think, not their press, but the people like us who are possibly expressing their views on platforms similar to this.

If I was a European I'd be a tad worried as it seems the eu are now relying on Chinese and Russian vaccines.
That's of course after the eu give those vaccines the green light ( maybe end of 2021 ?) But even if they ok the Russian one, Russia can't deliver until the 2nd quarter of this year, and then it will only be 100 mil doses.
But things are looking up. Mutti is holding a summit on the crisis next Monday you couldn't make it up, could you.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:23:04

trisher Mon 01-Feb-21 16:57:36

GrannyGravy13

trisher

GG13 does one right action disprove the inadequacies of a whole system?

It is obviously working in some areas.

Well yes it did, unfortunately no-one told the virus that it was only allowed to infect people in certain areas where test and trace was working!
blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/12/11/martin-mckee-nhs-test-and-trace-under-fire-a-system-flawed-by-design/
It cost £15.1 billion. Effectively tax payers' money handed to Boris's mates for a useless system. The public health system which already existed was ignored.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 16:45:05

Can we also agree that a lot of them have been useless then?

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 14:29:20

varian we finally agree on something!
?

varian Mon 01-Feb-21 14:15:11

Kate Bingham has done a much better job than any of the other Tory cronies that Boris has appointed. She is a science graduate with thirty years experience in investing in pharmaceuticals so she was able to act fast, knowing who to contact - both virologists and manufacturers of vaccine.

Crucially she made the decision to have the delivery of jabs done by local people who knew what they were doing - GPs and other NHS staff, local councils and local public health authorities, rather than farm it out to the private sector, like Dodo did with test and trace.

I was impressed with Kate Bingham when I heard her interviwed on the radio. She took exception to the suggestion that she had got the job because she was the wife of a Tory MP, saying "I am not a member of any political party and no one should assume I vote the same way as my husband !"

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:15:11

Maizie. I think we also stopped testing in March because the virus was already in the community and Whitby decided testing and tracing wouldn't help.

JaneJudge Mon 01-Feb-21 14:10:56

what IS happening with track and trace? is it ready yet?

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 14:06:19

Kate Bingham with her science background has been stellar in all of this. She ought to be made a Dame!

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:02:36

Fair enough MaizieD. Just used the numbers off Worldometer to show that 3.9 million recovered people isn't immediate cause for celebration and we shouldn't use that figure to show any superior performance because we are doing about the same as similar countries.