Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Whitty mocked in the street

(45 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 03-Feb-21 11:30:42

Some ignorant thug has videoed himself mocking Chris Whitty in the street and posted it online. Let's hope the police go after him.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/02/chris-whitty-video-appears-show-verbally-abused-street

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:34:51

Excellent answer from Prof Whitty when asked about this at the briefing tonight!

Grandma70s Wed 03-Feb-21 17:37:43

It wasn’t a fake. Chris Whitty has just talked about it in Downing Street. He didn’t think it important, hopes the boy will grow up to be a better character.

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 17:38:23

Blinko

Even better!

?

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:27:39

Prof Whitty's response should be an example for us all. He said he thought is was a young lad showing off and he was surprised the media had picked up on it because it wasn't worth bothering about. He then turned the answer round and said he hoped the boy would grow up to be more like Captain Tom because that's what people in the UK are really like.

That is a lesson in how to deal with this kind of thing. Not calling a 15 year old boy a moron or a thug and suggesting he is injected with the virus angry

Incidentally, I read that his mother is mortified, has taken away his Play Station and told the boy to make a video apologising to Prof Whitty.

JaneJudge Wed 03-Feb-21 18:31:33

I look forward to the video grin it's like the time you read on local facebook there is a drunk teenager in a hedge and at some point it is your teenager blush

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:36:41

I don't understand. Why would you want to circulate something you are so appalled by?

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:48:49

She didn't circulate it. The boy did.

JaneJudge that made me laugh. grin

EllanVannin Wed 03-Feb-21 19:08:11

As Nick Ferrari stated " What are we doing?" he said, as he was left furious by the state of Britain.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 22:53:45

Alegrias1

She didn't circulate it. The boy did.

JaneJudge that made me laugh. grin

But I hadn't heard of it. My only knowledge of the whole episode is from Gransnet.

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 23:45:44

it's like the time you read on local facebook there is a drunk teenager in a hedge and at some point it is your teenager blush

???

SueDonim Thu 04-Feb-21 00:56:42

JaneJudge

I look forward to the video grin it's like the time you read on local facebook there is a drunk teenager in a hedge and at some point it is your teenager blush

Or the time my mother was on a bus, overhearing two girls discussing the miscreant boyfriend of one of them and mum slowly realising that they were talking about my brother. ?

He got a pasting from mum when he got home from work. ?

Casdon Thu 04-Feb-21 06:56:32

GrannyRose15 it was all over the news yesterday, here’s one of the many reports:
www.itv.com/news/2021-02-03/chris-whitty-verbally-abused-in-street-by-covid-denier

JaneJudge Thu 04-Feb-21 12:26:41

grin grin brother gossip on the bus. The bus was the old version of local facebook ! I am never ceased to be amazed at the gossip on ours. There was one about a local dog walker called Dave who apparently drives fast in his van and is abusive to to other car drivers.....which sparked about 2000 posts about how there are dogs in the back of that van, how people were worried about the dogs, people would want their dog in the back of the van, intermingled with people saying Dave is ok - why don't they ring him and ask him why he has been abusive. He walks the dogs in the field at the back of my house and I say to my son, 'oh look it's dogging Dave, I wouldn't want my dog in the back of his van....' and we both laugh blush it's the small things. I do wonder if Dave knows he is talked about though, I think there are 15,000 members!

SueDonim Thu 04-Feb-21 14:56:44

Yes, local FB pages are a wonder to behold! grin My own village one isn’t like that, I think because it’s just a couple of hundred people so everyone either knows everyone else, or they’re friends-of-friends.

The town/city ones are more interesting and yes, dogs seem to cause the most upset! ? ?

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Feb-21 19:18:33

According to the news on BBC radio, the offenders mother was so incensed that she made him send a personal apology and has taken away his Play Station.

She couldn't ground him as he's already grounded!!!

GagaJo Thu 04-Feb-21 19:19:15

Smileless2012

According to the news on BBC radio, the offenders mother was so incensed that she made him send a personal apology and has taken away his Play Station.

She couldn't ground him as he's already grounded!!!

I LOVE this. Nothing like an angry, disappointed mother for a good public shaming!

sodapop Thu 04-Feb-21 19:57:22

I thought it was great too GagaJo The boy's mother was horrified by his behaviour and said he had not been brought up to behave like that. Well done that Mum.

GrannyRose15 Thu 04-Feb-21 23:00:04

Casdon

GrannyRose15 it was all over the news yesterday, here’s one of the many reports:
www.itv.com/news/2021-02-03/chris-whitty-verbally-abused-in-street-by-covid-denier

I still don't understand why you want me to know about it. I have now seen the reports though have chosen not to look at the original video.

It's the same with conspiracy theories. Some people seem to think it is a good idea to repeat these theories as a way of rebutting them. I'd say the fewer people who know about them the better.

sodapop Fri 05-Feb-21 09:01:13

I don't agree GrannyRose surely it's better to be aware of all the information even if you don't agree with it. Know your enemy.