Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson latest announcement

(38 Posts)
Redhead56 Wed 03-Feb-21 13:09:03

The PM has announced a clap for Sir Tom at 6 pm tonight.

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 21:17:34

Sorry, me too Dillythe Gardener
We had some bad news and I was rushing to join an online meeting so I was a bit hasty.
Delete the rubbish bit but I'll leave the rest to stand.

DillytheGardener Wed 03-Feb-21 21:28:34

Callistemon thank you, I’m sorry too. I think we are all worn out aren’t we? I’m definitely more salty with my words than I normally am. I think after the pandemic ends there will be a lot of grieving to be done, it’s hard while we are all separated, and harder still to be civil and kind when our nerves and hearts are feeling worn and frayed. I really should stay off any pandeamic related posts after my evening wine confusedblush

NotTooOld Wed 03-Feb-21 21:48:06

Knittynatter

It’s sad that captain Tom died but no more sad than all the other amazing, wonderful and much loved people who died through COVID before their time leaving behind distraught families and friends. They were special people and heros in their own ways.
Captain Tom raised millions for the NHS, but was provided the means to do this by his daughter and the media. If the media hadn’t got hold of the story at a time when everyone wanted to help the NHS then his walk wouldn’t have raised more than a few thousand.
He seemed to be a very nice man who had an amazing experience in his final year. I hope that his family and the media leave him to rest in peace now.

Well put, Knittynatter. I agree with you, especially about the media taking up the story.

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 22:36:49

I think what I learned most from this remarkable man was that you are never too old to make an impact on the world. RIP Captain Tom.

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:12:57

My old mum made me laugh. 98 yrs old. Lives in sheltered housing. Told me this all ‘makes her poorly’. ‘She lives with loads of people his age who walk round every day and nobody claps for them’. Had to laugh. We’re not allowed to say that are we. ?. Yeah am sure he was a nice guy and he (unintentionally) raised a massive amount for charity - but was completely high jacked by media and Gov to distract us from their shenanigans giving our money to their cronies. Got Cummings sticky fingers all over it. I didn’t clap. Not because I disrespect him but because Johnson wanted me to. A small act of defiance. Very few folks out on my road clapping. One or two out of ~50 houses. I’ll wait for the National day of mourning to pay my respects. And the next election to vote the xxxxx out!!

Gingster Thu 04-Feb-21 08:20:47

He had a wonderful few months . ‘Left in peace? ‘That would have been the last thing he wanted.

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:21:44

Well said ??

Franbern Thu 04-Feb-21 09:28:35

I agree, WW010 . It was the media that homed in him and the general public was desperate to be able to do something at that time, so the money poured in. Could have been any sort of story - one involving a child, an animal - just happened to be him. He himself, did not do anything particular to raise that money - it was just the story that caught the imagination of the media at the time.

With so many deaths this last year, that of a person going on for their 101st birthday does not really strike any tear-jerking response from me. And, he and his family had a wonderful last few months, with a wonderful holiday thrown in.

The PM has used it as a something to grab on to and try to spin in his own favour. Yet, in the midst of it all, he and his government voted DÓWN the increase in pay for nurses and other workers in the NHS. Shows how much her really cares.

If people really want to honour this man and have a perpetual memorial to all those who have lost their lives this last years due both to the pandemic itself and the resultant death from other causes - then, in my mind, the best thing they can do is to ensure that their MP's will vote to increase pay of all NHS workers, and to ensure that the NHS is properly funded and all privatisations within it are stopped and reversed.

Far better than clapping and statues in my opinion.

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 09:57:40

Franbern

I agree, WW010 . It was the media that homed in him and the general public was desperate to be able to do something at that time, so the money poured in. Could have been any sort of story - one involving a child, an animal - just happened to be him. He himself, did not do anything particular to raise that money - it was just the story that caught the imagination of the media at the time.

With so many deaths this last year, that of a person going on for their 101st birthday does not really strike any tear-jerking response from me. And, he and his family had a wonderful last few months, with a wonderful holiday thrown in.

The PM has used it as a something to grab on to and try to spin in his own favour. Yet, in the midst of it all, he and his government voted DÓWN the increase in pay for nurses and other workers in the NHS. Shows how much her really cares.

If people really want to honour this man and have a perpetual memorial to all those who have lost their lives this last years due both to the pandemic itself and the resultant death from other causes - then, in my mind, the best thing they can do is to ensure that their MP's will vote to increase pay of all NHS workers, and to ensure that the NHS is properly funded and all privatisations within it are stopped and reversed.

Far better than clapping and statues in my opinion.

Hallelujah to all that! (Slightly relieved I’m not alone tbh ??) I just read a great memorial to him would be a bursary in his name created from the monies raised. Now that I could get on board with cos Bj and his mates can’t get in on that one.

henetha Thu 04-Feb-21 10:01:00

I sort of intended to, but must admit that I completely forgot it. I'm always cooking at 6pm. Anyway, I have huge respect for Captain Tom and his achievements but not sure that clapping was necessary.

JaneJudge Thu 04-Feb-21 12:09:36

grin at your Mum WW10, that really made me laugh. Maybe we should have one day a month where we stand outside care homes and clap for all the people walking around inside the home and in the garden? when all this is over obviously wink

I was a bit confused at how Boris was standing too, why do they all stand like they have cacked themselves?

Dinahmo Thu 04-Feb-21 21:21:18

Because of the media homing in on Captain Tom many other people were inspired to emulate him. I remember seeing at lest one physically handicapped child on tv walking to raise money and various other people doing stuff so indirectly he was responsible for raising more funds.