Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for closed borders

(39 Posts)
GillT57 Thu 04-Feb-21 13:08:49

It has been said that it is currently easier for a person from South Africa to bring Covid19 into Britain, than it is for a person from Belfast to bring a pork pie. Discuss!

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:59:23

NotSpaghetti

This is already not sounding good to me.
What a mess!
Any why only 3 days ?‍♀️

How rumours start...

Judging from the poster's username, I imagine she was talking about how things are done in Canada.

GillT57 Fri 05-Feb-21 15:51:52

The wittering on about air conditioning systems is just stalling as far as I can see. Australia have had this in place for months. All air conditioning systems should be subjected to hygiene measures anyway, and what about airplanes? Stuff and nonsense. Just get on with it.

maddyone Fri 05-Feb-21 16:04:31

Gill
Absolutely, it’s all stalling. This should have been in place months ago.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Feb-21 16:09:37

Alegris why is it any better if the 3 days in a hotel is in Canada or elsewhere?

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Feb-21 16:13:42

I do accept that Canada is in a relatively good position regarding coronavirus but 3 days?

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:16:57

I've got enough to worry about with our own government's Coronavirus response without worrying about Canada's as well.

varian Fri 05-Feb-21 17:47:33

Does it not seem extraordinary that the Vote Leave Government which was elected on a promise to control our borders has proved over the last twelve months to be totally incapable of controlling our borders?

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Feb-21 18:07:45

I'm not worrying about it Alegrias1, simply commenting.

varian Fri 05-Feb-21 18:14:28

Did any one on GN actually vote for this Vote Leave government because they promised to control our borders?

If so.how do you think they have done?????

Dinahmo Fri 05-Feb-21 21:21:18

GillT57 Air conditioning systems are often full of germs. In the last few years every time I traveled by plane I ended up with a bug. My OH has refused to have another holiday with me if it involves plane travel for that very reason. We spend money on a holiday and then I end up in bed for a few days in order to recover from the bugs I've caught on the plane.

Of course, now a days we won't be going anywhere by air. The air is recycled, not recharged with external air. As an asthmatic I am sensitive to air quality and have sometimes found it difficult to breathe in large supermarkets. I have great difficulty walking through the airport at Stansted for that reason. The corridors are sealed and no fresh air.

Varian I think you know the answer to your question - of course they did. They didn't want all those pesky furriners, especially those who worked in our hospitals and care homes and picked our strawberries and asparagus.

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 22:21:24

it’s a surprise to find that the air inside a plane is cleaner than you might think. Thanks to HEPA filters and efficient circulation on commercial aircrafts, the air you breathe in flight—though not necessarily entirely virus-free—is much cleaner than the air in restaurants, bars, stores, or your best friend’s living room.
About 40 percent of a cabin’s air gets filtered through this HEPA system; the remaining 60 percent is fresh and piped in from outside the plane. “Cabin air is completely changed every three minutes, on average, while the aircraft is cruising

www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/08/how-clean-is-the-air-on-your-airplane-coronavirus-cvd/

Summerlove Sat 06-Feb-21 02:08:28

NotSpaghetti

I do accept that Canada is in a relatively good position regarding coronavirus but 3 days?

It’s up to 3 hotel days waiting on a negative test.

Then quarantine at home. I’m confused reading though, as only 4 airports accept international travel, many people will still need to fly to final destination, so you could still pick up covid on those flights.

nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 07:06:19

It is 14 days hotel quarantine in Australia and after that they have to have another Covid test 3 days after the isolation since they recently found a positive person who was negative in isolation but developed it soon afterwards. We have no community transmission so all cases are coming from overseas travellers, mostly people coming for the Australian Open. If I had my way there would be absolutely no overseas people coming in until we have had the vaccine. They are slow with that, we haven’t even started.