Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rupert Murdoch

(30 Posts)
varian Fri 12-Feb-21 07:11:58

A group of former Australian Prime Ministers have highlighted the malign influence of Rupert Murdoch in the rise of the right and the part he has played in "Donald Trump, brexit and climate change denial"

www.ft.com/content/ed23889a-2cc4-4ecb-8917-4c7e8d667404

GillT57 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:56:33

MaizieD, I rarely wish people ill, but I would not be sad the day his death is announced. He has far too much power, is unaccountable for his actions and is toxic. A truly poisonous individual who contributes nothing to the society. Has anyone been listening to the Maxwell biography on R4. Now that is very interesting.

varian Tue 16-Feb-21 11:19:57

Rupert Murdoch's heir apparent is his son Lachlan Murdoch, chairman of the company which controls Fox News, which is widely credited with the promotion and election of Donald Trump.

Fox News is currently being sued by the makers of electronic voting machines for repeating the lie that votes were transferred from Trump to Biden. The majority of Republican voters still maintain that Trump won and votes were "stolen".

Paradoxically some Trump supporters have attacked Fox News because they "called" the election for Joe Biden when it was obvious that Trump could not catch him up. These former Fox News viewers now prefer to watch news networks which are even further to the right, peddling white supremacy and conspiracy theories.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Feb-21 11:32:39

Varian You've made me smile today. Thank you for your humourous responses.

GillT57 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:11:59

Murdoch's other son has little to do with him now I believe, due to disagreement on editorial policy. Besides which, his wife is a campaigner on climate change.