News & politics

Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital.

(263 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 17-Feb-21 14:29:12

Last night after feeling unwell.

Fingers crossed for him.

merlotgran Tue 23-Feb-21 18:37:15

Smileless2012

Well we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we.

Possibly not - unless you're the high priestess of the opinionated.

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:56:11

Well we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we.

Anniebach Tue 23-Feb-21 17:55:54

I do not own anyone so saying ‘we own the Duke’ is untrue

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:42:36

The Palace have released a certain amount of information about the DoE, presumably as much as they want us to know. Whoever a person is, whether they are a private or a public figure, I find it very distasteful to speculate on the details of their health publicly, for anyone to read, if those details have not been made public. I wouldn't want anyone to talk about me, or any member of my family in this way. Especially someone I haven't met.

Speculating on the detailed nature of a person's illness when those details have not be made public is very distasteful in my opinion. That is not being concerned for their health, its intrusive, although probably unintentionally so. In my opinion.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 17:32:22

Summerlove

merlotgran

Stop being so bloody bossy

Hilarious.

So it’s not OK to speculate on prince Phillips health, but it’s perfectly OK to speculate on anything to do with other members of the royal family? Or just ones that you dislike?

It's perfectly alright to speculate on anyone in the public eye I think, as long as you're not libelling them. Take concern, curiosity and speculation out of any conversation and there's not much left to say. It just becomes a series of sound bites, not a forum.

I saw no harm intended.

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:29:28

"But we own the DoE" do we? I haven't seen anyone claim ownership of the DofE Alegrias, and what does your 'response' to the post of mine you quoted, have to do with what I actually said?

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:27:37

Sorry Summerlove, I have no idea what that means.... confused

Summerlove Tue 23-Feb-21 17:21:11

merlotgran

Hilarious.

So it’s not OK to speculate on prince Phillips health, but it’s perfectly OK to speculate on anything to do with other members of the royal family? Or just ones that you dislike?

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:17:52

Smileless2012

No one would know or care if a 99 year old relative of ours was ill in hospital. I don't see anything undignified in people showing their concern, wishing PP well and wondering what's wrong with him.

But we own the DoE, along with all the rest of the family, don't we, so we can publicly discuss his urinary tract on the internet.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 17:14:46

merlotgran

Could PP have sepsis?

He has been in hospital for a week, is being treated for an infection and will remain in hospital for several more days.

Sounds more serious than a UTI.

I don't know Merlot, but any illness at such an age is likely to take its toll. Lets hope he makes a good recovery and can get home.

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:13:13

No one would know or care if a 99 year old relative of ours was ill in hospital. I don't see anything undignified in people showing their concern, wishing PP well and wondering what's wrong with him.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:13:00

Yes miss. Sorry miss. grin

merlotgran Tue 23-Feb-21 17:11:54

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:09:11

If your 99-year-old-relative was ill in hospital, would you like random people on the internet discussing exactly what was wrong with him on a public forum?

Give the man some dignity.

merlotgran Tue 23-Feb-21 16:51:04

Could PP have sepsis?

He has been in hospital for a week, is being treated for an infection and will remain in hospital for several more days.

Sounds more serious than a UTI.

specki4eyes Sun 21-Feb-21 22:16:43

Can someone tell me what exactly is "disgusting" about one grandmother (me) feeling sorry for another grandmother (the Queen) who has beloved family members giving her untold grief and worry in her 95th year and at a time when her 99 year old husband is in hospital?
Harry's behaviour in answering back to his grandmother is despicable, as is their plan to discuss their pathetic issues in a TV interview which will be broadcast worldwide.
I despair of some Gransnet posters nowadays. It used to be a forum for lively, intelligent, informed opinion, comment and debate. Not so now. Too many small minded net curtain twitchers....The Disgusteds of Gransnet!
I'm out, as they say. Bye bye.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 22:13:53

I am sick and tired of a woman who goes on and on about women’s rights yet not a pip in her S.A. interview, she had met
girls who were being taught boxing to fight of rapists, very poor women, what we did get ‘when pregnant no one asked if i was ok ‘.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:07:59

BlueBelle

Unfortunately if people can’t see what’s wrong with the post then they must be equally lacking
I m sick and tired of thread after thread of vitriol against one poor woman Shame on you

????? x a million

BlueBelle Sun 21-Feb-21 21:51:19

Unfortunately if people can’t see what’s wrong with the post then they must be equally lacking
I m sick and tired of thread after thread of vitriol against one poor woman Shame on you

Nezumi65 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:59:45

Heavens above. Specie4eyes post is hilariously bonkers. It’s the sort of stuff dh comes out with as a joke (as satire). Do people say that sort of stuff seriously?

Sparkling Sun 21-Feb-21 18:49:59

Is it wrong to have a different opinion to a poster, I think not. It gets very personal sometimes and is totally unnecessary and unkind.

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 18:43:38

Castor

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 18:42:00

Rather an over reaction here.
I cannot see what is so utterly, utterly utterly disgusting about the post that has so upset some posters. I am presuming it is the use of the word narcissist and the term 'she-wolf.'

Narcissist to me means someone much given to self-admiration; I know it is a term used regularly and possibly inaccurately on here as a medical diagnosis of mothers and mothers -in-law.

Helen Cantor, in her book 'She -Wolves' uses the term to describe: 'four exceptional women, who while never reigning monarchs, held great power.'

So not utterly x 3 disgusting.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 18:08:49

NellG

Suzie Yet you feel it's Ok to call others disgusting and mindless?

I call that righteous and bullish.

I haven’t called anyone mindless and disgusting but several of us on here have found one specific post in particular disgusting . What’s righteous and bullish about that?

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 17:55:31

Suzie Yet you feel it's Ok to call others disgusting and mindless?

I call that righteous and bullish.