Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sturgeon -v- Salmond. This is going to be very interesting. Is the SNP finished? And what impact on the Scots regarding Indy2? ?

(190 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 23-Feb-21 11:41:59

It’s a very public spat.

The amount of illegal obstruction Salmond faced and still faces in getting documents is prima facie evidence of a huge cover up.

Salmond is about to check mate Nicola, but its a strange game of chess where the King takes the Queen.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Mar-21 16:23:41

Perhaps now we know why Nicola Sturgeon said "show me the evidence”. there is no evidence!

Doesn’t Judge Judy say “without evidence this didn’t happen?”

?

Cathymac Tue 09-Mar-21 16:58:21

Good point Urmstongran. John Swinney is facing a vote of no confidence soon. Looks like he will get away with it because the Greens are going to vote with the SNP.

Aveline Tue 09-Mar-21 17:37:30

Incompetence and a cover up. No minutes of a Scottish Govt meeting? Literally unbelievable! How can this be allowed to happen?!

varian Tue 09-Mar-21 17:54:44

During Nicola Strugeon's questioning, she was asked many times about reports, minutes, written statements and other documents which had been requested by the committee and never produced. Time and time again there was no satisfactory answer.

Alegrias1 Mon 22-Mar-21 17:04:58

What's that you say Skippy?

The independent lawyer said there was no breach of the Ministerial Code?

The Scottish Tories are stewing in their own juice?

Somebody's got a chip on their shoulder the size of Aberdeenshire?

Guess so Skippy grin

Cathymac Tue 23-Mar-21 13:48:20

Here is Andy Wightman’s report . He was on the committee and is an independent MSP. He criticises almost everyone involved.
andywightman.scot/committee-on-the-Scottish-Government-handling-of -harassment-complaints

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:01:16

Yes he does, he does. Independent MSP who very publicly split with the Greens recently, the Greens of course support the current government in most things. I'm currently reading his book on land reform in Scotland.

The Scottish Tories and the other opposition members of the committee have made a big mistake however. By concentrating on trying to make the FM the scapegoat, they have diverted attention from the real purpose of their committee which was to identify what went wrong with the processes of government. And we need to get that fixed, no question.

Aveline Tue 23-Mar-21 14:11:34

The processes of government have certainly failed those women. One told the committee that they'd been left completely unsupported. This has been an awful situation. Nicola relying on 'Can't remember', 'Don't recall' so many times doesn't do her any favours neither does the repeated refusals to release documents despite the parliament voting for them to be released.
This has just been a cock up made worse by extremely inept attempts to make it all difficult. Nobody to blame? £500,000+ of taxpayers money wasted due to a dogged determination to persevere despite legal warnings that failure would be inevitable. What a shambles.
I just wish we could all work together for the benefit of everyone in Scotland instead of all the wasted energy and resources on in-fighting.
Just feeling sad and depressed at the state of Scotland.

FarNorth Tue 23-Mar-21 15:01:11

It's a complete shambles. A lot of people who want independence now feel politically homeless.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:24:35

I can understand that attitude FarNorth. Greens?

Aveline Tue 23-Mar-21 17:52:31

I'd really like to see a coalition. I had hopes for Sarwar. I wish we could work with Westminster instead of what always seems against them. A united front sharing resources for the benefit of the Scottish people is infinitely preferable to life outside UK, Europe and with a very poor economic outlook.

FarNorth Wed 24-Mar-21 03:40:15

Alegrias1 No chance.

It'll be ISP on the list because they know what a woman is.

Sparkling Wed 24-Mar-21 07:47:21

What a farce. Not a good choice could be made between the two. A thoroughly unsavoury business.

Cathymac Wed 24-Mar-21 16:15:32

Alex Salmond has issued a statement.

wingsoverscotland.com/time-to-shine-a-light