Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can someone explain the Alex Salmond 'thing's from the beginning please?

(86 Posts)
kittylester Wed 24-Feb-21 08:12:47

Just that really as I obviously wasn't concentrating!

trisher Fri 26-Feb-21 10:05:03

You can read Salmond's statement here www.parliament.scot/HarassmentComplaintsCommittee/General%20documents/Written_submission_from_Alex_Salmond.pdf
All the relevant details are redacted. Difficult to see how any case can be sorted out without the evidence.

Cathymac Fri 26-Feb-21 12:05:57

I agree with Lemongrove . Today is about what Salmond claims the Scottish Government, Nicola Sturgeon and her advisors did or did not do in the lead up to his trial .

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Feb-21 16:07:00

Salmon extremely impressive in his evidence to the Holyrood enquiry.

Aveline Fri 26-Feb-21 16:10:26

Just watched a bit of his committee appearance. I'm definitely not a fan but by golly he's impressive. Facts, dates and figures at his fingertips. Slowly and surely demolishing Nicola. I don't know how she can face appearing at this committee next week even with her own MSP's questioning her. Labour's Jackie Baillie was very good.

25Avalon Fri 26-Feb-21 16:17:23

Not a Salmond fan either Aveline but agree he was impressive today. Interesting to see how Sturgeon gets on. She has all weekend to come up with plausible answers and counter arguments.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Feb-21 16:23:00

I’m not entirely convinced that the questioners are on top of their brief though, which must be to Sturgeons advantage.

They seem to be continually wondering into the Salmond’s sexual harassment case, when the enquiry is there to decide whether the Scottish parliament acted unlawfully.

Calendargirl Fri 26-Feb-21 16:24:47

Not very up on all this, but thought on the News last night, Nicola looked rather hesitant and not very confident, never really seen her like that before.

Certainly not her usual vibrant self.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Feb-21 16:26:17

Why can’t the enquiry assert itself and insist that the government and First Minister gives over the documents that they are refusing cough up?

25Avalon Fri 26-Feb-21 16:27:49

I thought that WWM2 as well. He was tried and found not guilty by a jury as well which he pointed out at one point so I wasn’t sure why that continued line of questioning especially when the enquiry is about the Scottish Parliament.

Aveline Fri 26-Feb-21 16:31:59

It's a Scottish Government enquiry chaired by a friend of Nicola and with a majority of the members being SNP ministers. They were never likely to make things easy for Salmond.