Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guardian Journalist admits to being IRA sympathiser.

(123 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Mar-21 21:10:46

Roy Greenslade has resigned from his position at a London University after admitting to being on the side of IRA. The Guardian has been very quiet on this subject.

It was apparently known he was a unionist?

As the Guardian is often quoted in GN political threads, I would be interested in other’s opinions.

growstuff Tue 02-Mar-21 22:38:40

It's smearing by the Spectator.

Doodledog Tue 02-Mar-21 22:43:12

I know nothing about this case (I feel as though I have been living in a cupboard for the past couple of weeks!), but is the suggestion that newspaper columnists should have no political affiliations confused?

trisher Tue 02-Mar-21 22:47:09

I think there is a great deal of difference between being an IRA supporter and believing in a United Ireland. But what really disturbs me is the emphasis that is always placed on the violence committed by the IRA whilst that of the so called Loyalists is ignored. It was much more difficult to document because it was embedded in institutions such as the Royal Ulster Constabulary and it existed for much longer. What is certain is that any resurgence would be dreadful and using techniques like this is unacceptable.

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 00:56:24

I remember following the Mairia Cahill case years ago. It wasn't written about much in the main stream news. There was a documentary about it, which came down very much in Cahill's favour. Greenslade was the media critic for the Guardian and claimed it wasn't good journalism, because it was biased. Cahill (and others) took that to mean that Greenslade sided with the IRA. The Spectator published an article about it a few days ago. I can't quote the whole article because the Spectator is behind a paywall, but I've read the gist.

An attempt is being made to smear Greenslade (don't know why) and the easiest way to do that is to accuse him of one of the things most of the public find abhorrent, which is to accuse him of siding with the IRA - and, yes, it's strange that loyalist atrocities are hardly ever mentioned.

It's the way the media works - not just with Corbyn or Meghan Markle. They find an Achilles heel and publicise it, so that the person becomes one-dimensional. Short slots on GMB don't have time to examine issues in detail and the majority of the public seem happy to accept their news in short sound bites. It's well-known that many people never read beyond the headline and subheading of a newspaper article.

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 00:57:32

Doodledog

I know nothing about this case (I feel as though I have been living in a cupboard for the past couple of weeks!), but is the suggestion that newspaper columnists should have no political affiliations confused?

It's a "dead cat" to distract the public from more important issues.

growstuff Wed 03-Mar-21 01:03:46

Claire Fox also supported the IRA, but she was elevated to the House of Lords by the Conservative government. Why?

vegansrock Wed 03-Mar-21 06:13:07

I think it’s a not very thinly veiled attempt to criticise the Guardian as that is specifically mentioned by the OP. I doubt if many people have heard of this journalist, who appears to have worked for many publications the OP does not mention. One could support the aims of republican organisations such as the IRA without supporting their methods. It certainly does not mean the Guardian supports the IRA.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 07:39:08

This is no smear campaign by The Spectator or anyone else. This man has, for whatever reason, come out and admitted he supported the IRA, and more importantly their use of violence, and bombing innocent victims in pursuit of their aims. He’s not being smeared. He was also editor of the Mirror and a lecturer in ethics in journalism (the irony). He has since resigned. Apparently when Boris was writing for The Spectator he stated there was a core of support for the IRA at the guardian and the, then editor, condemned him and denied this. There’s a lot of egg on a lot of faces and it’s interesting that the guardian haven’t said a word. I can’t say I’m surprised; it merely reinforces my view of the far left and their prejudices.

vegansrock Wed 03-Mar-21 07:42:02

I’d hardly call the Guardian “far left”, though I guess it is if you are far right.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Mar-21 07:53:43

This is being discussed on GMB at the moment with four journalists from different newspapers and TV.

Mr Greenslade has come out in support of the IRA bombing campaign I agree with tickingbird

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 07:55:15

Is that all you have to say? Pretty much like the paper itself. Constantly holding others to account but not a word about this. It’s actually being discussed on tv at the minute. It’s indefensible so I’m not surprised there’s been nothing on here from the usual suspects. As for the guardian shame on them.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 07:55:39

Crossed posts granny.

M0nica Wed 03-Mar-21 08:03:14

vegansrock Not heard of Roy Greenslade, come on. He is or was a top level hughly respected journalist.

I am amused by the response of the left of centre people on here smear campaign , thinly veiled campaign to attack The Guardian.

If Roy Greenslade had been an acclaimed Daily Mail journalist would those same people have used the same phrases to describe his 'outing'. well, pigs might fly!

There is nothing more enjoyable to bystanders than seeing those who have always claimed the moral high ground having a tumble.

Oldwoman70 Wed 03-Mar-21 08:29:25

It is his support for the bombings which has outraged people - not his political opinion.

How many of those attempting to defend him have in the past hounded people out of their jobs for a comment they made many years ago - double standards?

MaizieD Wed 03-Mar-21 08:32:13

growstuff

Claire Fox also supported the IRA, but she was elevated to the House of Lords by the Conservative government. Why?

This seems to have been missed.

Where was the vociferous condemnation by GNetters of an IRA and paedophile supporter being elevated to the House of Lords?
What makes supporting the IRA a shock horror issue when done by a perceived left winger but no bar to ennoblement of a former Communist Party member turned Brexit supporter?

Is it that tory supporters just don't have any morals?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Mar-21 08:39:40

It his out and out support for the bombing campaign that has shocked people.

It is becoming blatantly obvious in n GN political threads that the Conservatives are fair game for insults and slurs. When something emerges about anyone left of centre we get move on folks nothing to see here

nadateturbe Wed 03-Mar-21 08:42:08

I am a NI resident brought up a Protestant in Belfast. I have lived through the Troubles.
I too believe Ireland should never have been divided.

But absolutely no one should support the IRA or any other terrorist organisation

By all means support the reunification of Ireland but not the IRA.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 08:48:14

MaizieD Whataboutery or what? Something you have often accused others of on here!

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 09:09:04

growstuff Dead cat? Oh dear.

MaizieD Wed 03-Mar-21 09:15:40

tickingbird

MaizieD Whataboutery or what? Something you have often accused others of on here!

I know it's whataboutery. Shocking, isn't it?

Perhaps I'd better start a thread about Lady Fox so that all the chortling anti-guardianistas can explain how much she deserved her ennoblement and how her support for the IRA was so very different from Greenslade's...

Or indulge in some vociferous condemnation...

Casdon Wed 03-Mar-21 09:20:37

GrannyGravy13 what I’ve noticed is that people get called out on Gransnet when they don’t do their own investigation to check the veracity of the story before they post. There are plenty of ‘horror stories’ about all political parties, and all newspaper/media sources, but if you want to make a point you have to choose the right battle to fight. I agree that there a few very opinionated left wing posters on here, but there are an equal number of very opinionated right wing ones too- most of us though are not either of the extremes but do like a fair fight to be fought.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Mar-21 09:23:38

MaizieD I have always admired your posts if not agreeing with them, the fact that you cannot see that lots of people are shocked that a newspaper journalism pundit who has worked for several newspapers Guardian and Daily Mirror are just two, has supported the bombing campaign which killed men, women, children and horses I am flabbergasted.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Mar-21 09:25:00

Casdon I agree with your post, I admit to being a Conservative but I am definitely central and nowhere near far right.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 09:25:55

MaizieD Yes do start a diversion, I mean thread!!

MaizieD Wed 03-Mar-21 09:43:20

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD I have always admired your posts if not agreeing with them, the fact that you cannot see that lots of people are shocked that a newspaper journalism pundit who has worked for several newspapers Guardian and Daily Mirror are just two, has supported the bombing campaign which killed men, women, children and horses I am flabbergasted.

Where was the shock when Claire Fox, who supported exactly the same organisation and their methods, was ennobled?

Where is the indignation that Brexit seriously threatens to re-open the whole appalling saga?

I don't care for hypocrisy