Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guardian Journalist admits to being IRA sympathiser.

(123 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Mar-21 21:10:46

Roy Greenslade has resigned from his position at a London University after admitting to being on the side of IRA. The Guardian has been very quiet on this subject.

It was apparently known he was a unionist?

As the Guardian is often quoted in GN political threads, I would be interested in other’s opinions.

growstuff Thu 04-Mar-21 18:26:25

trisher

Sorry nadateturbe were you trying to comment on the real Peace Agreement? I agree but to move on surely then we have to stop using support for any of the factions involved in the conflict as a stick to hit people with. We have to accept that extremism existed and was sometimes supported and stop behaving as if one side was wrong and the other right, depending upon our personal prejudices.

I agree. There has to be an understanding of appeasement and a way to overcome factionalism and sectarianism. Neither "side" in Northern Ireland is "right" or blameless.

It's not that different from the situation in the Middle East.

Sadly, too many people in all aspects of politics are tribalist in their outlook and aren't the slightest bit concerned about compromise or "others".

growstuff Thu 04-Mar-21 18:28:25

tickingbird

Actually it’s not for me or you trisher to forgive Greenslade. It’s for the families and people ripped apart, quite often literally by those he sympathised with. As was pointed out by someone yesterday, he was mixing with the top echelons of the IRA, those that gave the orders and the men of arms. He stood bail for the Hyde Park bomber - the one that left dead horses and guardsmen scattered all over road!

Also it’s only come out now to the general public because he’s decided to admit it. He hasn’t had his hand forced. Maybe his conscience has been troubling him.

Not true! It was always known about. The timing is significant.

nadateturbe Thu 04-Mar-21 18:33:43

Trisher have pm'd you.

Sadly, too many people in all aspects of politics are tribalist in their outlook and aren't the slightest bit concerned about compromise or "others".
Very true in NI on hoth "sides".

M0nica Thu 04-Mar-21 22:55:01

And in Britain.

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 07:04:49

Not true! It was always known about. The timing is significant

Growstuff Stop trying to deflect. The reason for the timing is all Greenslades. He’s decided to come clean and has admitted he had a mortgage to pay and a living to earn so kept it quiet. Boris wrote a piece and was roundly condemned by the then editor of The Guardian. Turns out he was 100% correct but has still not received an apology. No surprise there as it’s evident from the posts on here that those on the left just cannot bring themselves to admit when they’re wrong and doggedly continue to defend the indefensible.

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 08:24:06

doggedly continue to defend the indefensible.

Claire Fox. Communist IRA supporter. Now a peer.

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 08:25:38

Deflection

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 08:26:38

Oh, forgot her support for paedophiles, too. Gary Glitter, Jimmy Savile...

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 08:27:03

Hypocrites

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 08:28:15

It's not tickingbird. You are doing the same as you are criticising others for. So I dont agree with greenslades views or Claire Fox's, its possible to do both.

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 08:43:24

This thread is about Roy Greenslade, not Claire Fox. If she supports violence towards innocents I condemn her too. However, this Greenslade was the editor of a UK newspaper and simultaneously supported the bombing of his readership. He’s despicable.

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 08:45:42

But bringing Johnsin into it and promoting him as some hero of the hour muddies the waters because of his support for Fox. So people are pointing it out.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:10:36

MaizieD you are deflecting, something which in the past you have always actively and acerbically called out.

No one on here is supporting/defending Claire Fox, now you have brought up Jimmy Saville???

No one is saying Boris Johnson a saint, just pointing out that he wrote about Mr Greenslade several years ago and the accusations were at the time vehemently denied.

I am still amazed that you seem to be passively in favour of Mr Greenslade in his actions of supporting the IRA bombing campaigns.

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 09:14:41

GG13 has answered more than adequately Galaxy. The fact that you detest BJ so much is, and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here, clouding your judgement. Step outside your tribal instincts for once.

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 09:45:37

I have done. You are unable to hear it because of your tribal instincts. And if you knew anything about me you would know that I quite frequently post about the dangers of tribes and the difficulty that we all have of hearing others views particularly online. You are right I loathe Johnson but I also loathe the Guardian which sort of messes up your theory.

growstuff Fri 05-Mar-21 10:06:25

tickingbird

This thread is about Roy Greenslade, not Claire Fox. If she supports violence towards innocents I condemn her too. However, this Greenslade was the editor of a UK newspaper and simultaneously supported the bombing of his readership. He’s despicable.

He wasn't the editor of the Guardian - ever.

growstuff Fri 05-Mar-21 10:07:50

tickingbird

^Not true! It was always known about. The timing is significant^

Growstuff Stop trying to deflect. The reason for the timing is all Greenslades. He’s decided to come clean and has admitted he had a mortgage to pay and a living to earn so kept it quiet. Boris wrote a piece and was roundly condemned by the then editor of The Guardian. Turns out he was 100% correct but has still not received an apology. No surprise there as it’s evident from the posts on here that those on the left just cannot bring themselves to admit when they’re wrong and doggedly continue to defend the indefensible.

I'm not trying to deflect. Maybe you'd like to explain why this is an issue NOW.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:23:03

growstuff I suggest you ask Mr Greenslade why he chose to go public now?

(No need for shouty letters)

Ilovecheese Fri 05-Mar-21 10:27:30

But he didn't just write for the Guardian, he wrote for different papers including the Times.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:31:08

He spent longer at the Guardian than the other publications, he was also employed by the Guardian at the time of the article by Boris Johnson in atheism Spectator.

(Mr Greenslade also wrote for the Daily Mirror)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:31:47

*atheism should be *at the

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 10:34:49

Thank you for answering the shouty questions GG13. I don’t get why it’s so difficult for growstuff to understand that it’s Greenslade himself that’s put this out there. She’s carrying on as if he’s been outed. FGS!!