Gransnet forums

News & politics

The fear women live with

(335 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:35:38

I have been listening to the news about Sarah Everard and reflecting on her death.

One comment that definitely rang true with me is the comment that “there won’t be a woman in the country, who, walking home after dark, doesn’t feel a frisson of fear if they sense someone walking behind them”

The commentary then went on to say that a woman being killed in this way is a very rare occurrence, but someone then said the killing of women is not rare, in fact since Sarah’s death 6 more women and a little girl have been killed. These I assume are domestic violence.

But that knowledge is utterly appalling. Something really must be done. I feel very troubled by this.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 22:32:34

Well, one step in the right direction:

inews.co.uk/news/uk/police-misogyny-hate-crime-pressure-918829

foxie48 Thu 18-Mar-21 09:15:42

suziewoozie

Thanks so much for the updating on what schools are doing. I rather fell into the trap of forgetting that examples I was hearing from adult women about their school day experiences were out of date. How confident do people like governors feel that policies are implemented meaningfully and that a pupil really could approach a same sex teacher with a problem of sexual harassment no matter how small ?

It’s never just about training and policies is it but implementation and monitoring ( I’ve been involved in NHS issues where the gap between theory and practice was huge )

Going to be variable, like everything else is but I wanted people to know that this is not an issue that has been ignored, the guidelines for the PSE curriculum talk specifically about "consent" both in relationship terms and with regard to the law. The academy trust I was involved with had a superb designated safeguarding lead appointed at Assistant Head level, which I think demonstrates the importance given to the role. However, the school my grandchildren are at was always rated as Outstanding but went into special measures following an Ofsted inspection, basically because they failed on safeguarding. I should point out though that safeguarding covers a wide range of issues including bullying, child protection issues etc. Governors have a role in implementation but really it's parents who need to take a more active role IMO.

Galaxy Thu 18-Mar-21 09:19:19

I think we would need to have a wide ranging conversation as a society about consent, what it is and what it means. I am not sure we are capable of that. I think it would end up with people in their tribes shouting at each other. So to be fair to ask schools to take a lead is asking a lot.

Anitae Sat 20-Mar-21 16:06:28

Agree totally with Foxie 48 when she says 'always has been'. Things are just reported more these day creating 'moral panic'. 3 out of 10 murders happen within the family

Iam64 Sat 20-Mar-21 18:37:23

Anitae

Agree totally with Foxie 48 when she says 'always has been'. Things are just reported more these day creating 'moral panic'. 3 out of 10 murders happen within the family

Yes, most murder, cHild and domestic abuse happens in the family. That in no way diminishes its seriousness. It is not ‘moral panic’ to want to raise the profile of that alongside the murder and abuse of women on our streets every day.

Anitae Sun 21-Mar-21 11:16:54

No it in no way diminishes its seriousness but it needs to be put in context.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 21-Mar-21 12:44:56

The context is important, but so is the fact that wherever women are murdered they are still dead! A woman is killed by a man every 3 days in this country, and I don’t know about moral panic, but it should certainly induce moral outrage.

I have seen an outpouring of women’s experiences on Twitter, and it’s heartbreaking reading. Many women suffer years of control and abuse before they break away.

Some are left with mental health problems for the rest of their lives. I just hope that the terrible murder of Sarah Everard, brings about longstanding change in the attitude towards women which is the norm in society.

Anitae Sun 21-Mar-21 13:34:17

And so do many men suffer domestic abuse. I am fully aware of how living with domestic abuse can affect you and how difficult it is to break away from it as a survivor of domestic abuse myself. I have a son who has experienced coercive control and whose ex partner is claiming domestic abuse and has stopped him seeing his son since November. Its costing him thousands of pounds and an enormous amount of heartbreak. No police reports and no evidence to support her claims but yet court dates drag on. We've missed Christmas and soon Easter without him in our lives and probably his birthday as well soon. Look to your sons and grandsons as well as your daughters and granddaughters. Teach them to respect women but please dont tell me every woman needs protecting!

TerriBull Mon 22-Mar-21 09:46:19

Another horrific piece of footage in the Mail on Line today, of a pregnant woman being attacked and punched in the stomach by a stalker. I'm beginning to think that maybe it is a good thing that we have so many CCTV cameras.