Gransnet forums

News & politics

The fear women live with

(334 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:35:38

I have been listening to the news about Sarah Everard and reflecting on her death.

One comment that definitely rang true with me is the comment that “there won’t be a woman in the country, who, walking home after dark, doesn’t feel a frisson of fear if they sense someone walking behind them”

The commentary then went on to say that a woman being killed in this way is a very rare occurrence, but someone then said the killing of women is not rare, in fact since Sarah’s death 6 more women and a little girl have been killed. These I assume are domestic violence.

But that knowledge is utterly appalling. Something really must be done. I feel very troubled by this.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:52:10

I totally agree Whitewavemark2 there are so many women (of all ages) on Twitter questioning why they have been told to stay inside after dark and be careful why not men?
Everyone should be able to walk safely to and from their workplace, friend's or families homes

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 08:54:09

The advice is also nonsense. Its magical thinking so that people think it wont happen to them. I assume the advice would also be take a taxi, speak to a policeman ....

sodapop Thu 11-Mar-21 08:59:39

Of course they should GrannyGravy that would be an ideal world. Sadly its not the one we actually live in. There are bad people out there who prey on women, men are not immune from attack either but its maybe not so well reported.
I think I read somewhere that women's perception is that such attacks are more prevalent than actually they are.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:00:33

I suspect that many even on this little community of GN, could give examples of male violence or an incident that left them frightened.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:03:02

sodapop

Of course they should GrannyGravy that would be an ideal world. Sadly its not the one we actually live in. There are bad people out there who prey on women, men are not immune from attack either but its maybe not so well reported.
I think I read somewhere that women's perception is that such attacks are more prevalent than actually they are.

Yes men are subject to violence, but can you name a man that this happened to?

Men suffer violence but largely for entirely different reasons, associated with their lifestyle etc.

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 09:04:45

It's also interesting the type of advice that is offered. So dont walk late at night, etc. When in fact women are much more at risk from violence from someone they know, so if the safety of women is your aim you would be better saying actually go for a walk at night but under no circumstances be in a relationship with a man.

bikergran Thu 11-Mar-21 09:18:28

The fact it could possibly be the Policeman will throw away our trust in the force.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 09:20:37

I’ve been following this discussion on Twitter and radio. What some very thoughtful men are asking is what can I do to make a woman feel safer if out at night ? One answer was don’t walk behind her but cross the road. I mentioned this to DH at breakfast and he just said oh yes I always do that or if a very empty train or bus just sit as far away as possible. I know this is only part of the issue btw but interesting that some men accept that women can feel fear and how can they help.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 09:22:59

bikergran

The fact it could possibly be the Policeman will throw away our trust in the force.

I don’t really think this will happen ( if it is him) .

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:27:39

I have just noticed that the accused’s photo is front page of The Times along with his name this morning.

I am very uncomfortable with this, especially as he hasn’t been charged yet (to my knowledge)

Grammaretto Thu 11-Mar-21 09:37:30

It's a nasty reminder that awful things can happen but would it make anyone feel safer if women all stayed indoors and never walked without a chaperone?
I think it would make for more fear.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Mar-21 09:38:20

bikergran

Did the Shipman and Allitt cases throw away our trust in doctors and nurses?

eazybee Thu 11-Mar-21 09:40:19

It seems as though this abduction took place sometime between nine and ten o'clock at night, which is not a late night walk, and in a busy area. I thought this poor woman had taken a short cut across Clapham common, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
When I went out at night, pre-covid, I would drive even short distances because I did think as I got older I might trip and fall and no one would know, also I read an account of a woman in her sixties being raped, beaten and strangled as she walked a very short distance home from meeting friends in her local pub at about 10.30pm, which was what I used to do.
It is wrong that it is like this but we have to take action to protect ourselves first, which is initially avoiding situations where we are vulnerable. Women-only waiting rooms and carriages are loudly decried by feminists, but I think there is a need for measures like this. I remember as Deputy Head being left to lock up the school after meetings, and realising I was completely alone and in pitch dark once the doors were locked; repeated requests for outdoor lights were ignored as being too expensive. When installed in the new building the head programmed them to go off at 9pm, until a woman tripped over a kerb on her way to the car park after an evening class and her husband threatened to sue the school unless they were left on.

Katie59 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:46:35

We are the weaker sex and vulnerable to violence in the street and in the home, there are men and some women that will take advantage of that. Nothing we say now or have ever said will change that, violence seems to get worse not better despite many campaigns.

All we can do is protect ourselves I wouldn’t dream of walking unaccompanied at night, or indeed some areas in daylight. I’ve got tremendous sympathy with this girls family and would like the streets to be safer, but they won’t,

Grammaretto Thu 11-Mar-21 09:50:43

When my DM arrived in London in 1936 to take up her university place, she marvelled that she could walk alone in the streets without fear. She was brought up in Burma where, unless you were a native, you were not safe and couldn't go out alone.
When did things change? When did we all become so frightened?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:52:39

We can’t possibly know why Sarah’s death happened.

However, I do wonder how many women who have suffered rape, or violence simply were lucky?

Do the men set out to kill or just inflict sexual violence and it all goes wrong? Yes, some kill for a perverted reason, but most don’t seem to set out to kill

If that is the case then giving the level of rape and violence of which there must be thousands a year, what on earth can be done?

It is like a mini-pandemic for which there is seemingly no cure.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Mar-21 09:58:19

Yes men are subject to violence, but can you name a man that this happened to? Men suffer violence but largely for entirely different reasons, associated with their lifestyle etc.

The figures show that men are far more likely to be victims of violence outside the home than women. I could name several known to me personally. One who died. Associated with their lifestyle only in that they went out in the evening and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. In one case, helped a drunk and distressed young woman to her front door to be put in intensive care for his pains by her boyfriend on arrival.

I shall worry as much about my grandsons when they’re older than I would about any granddaughters.

foxie48 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:02:17

The death of this young woman is dreadful but there will always be bad people out there and everything we do carries an element of risk. The bathroom is a pretty dangerous place and the car even more so but it doesn't stop us showering or driving. Do your own risk analysis and live with the risk you are prepared to take. I walk miles on my own with the dog and have no idea who I might meet but I don't give it a second thought. I would walk at night in a lit up area but I wouldn't walk through an unlit park. You can't lock men up at night and there will always be predators, there always has been, I just try to avoid situations where I know I will feel vulnerable.

Redhead56 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:03:26

When police officers stopped going on a designated beat. Also police stations closed down it doesn’t give a sense of confidence when there is no deterrent.

foxie48 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:04:18

I totally agree with this, I worry about my grandsons as much as my grand daughter.

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Mar-21 10:04:49

The latest statistics I can find are from 2018.
That year, 149 women killed by 147 different men in the UK.

91 of these women (61%) were killed by their current or former partner.

9 women (6%) were killed by a stranger or where there was no known relationship between them.

So actual only 6/100 were committed by people not already known to them.

The majority were men they were/had been in a relationship with.

We really should put this in context in terms of murder... Rape or assault may be different of course. I haven't looked that up, but last time I did, the statistics were similar.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:05:01

Maggiemaybe

^Yes men are subject to violence, but can you name a man that this happened to? Men suffer violence but largely for entirely different reasons, associated with their lifestyle etc.^

The figures show that men are far more likely to be victims of violence outside the home than women. I could name several known to me personally. One who died. Associated with their lifestyle only in that they went out in the evening and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. In one case, helped a drunk and distressed young woman to her front door to be put in intensive care for his pains by her boyfriend on arrival.

I shall worry as much about my grandsons when they’re older than I would about any granddaughters.

I take your point but don’t underestimate the level of violence to women.

7 women and 1 small girl have died in the past few days - presumably at the hands of men.

How many men have died over the same period and at the hands of women?

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 10:07:14

Do people think that the number of rapes and murders would decrease if women didnt walk late at night etc, sorry it's just nonsense. If a person is going to murder or sexually assault they will do it, just at another time in another place. Pretending you can avoid these risks is not helpful.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:13:01

It is shocking to look at the level of death, violence, rape, harassment, groping, bullying and casual sexism that women live with every day of their lives.

At a personal level I can give quite a few examples from being groped by a man as I walked down the street and he grabbed my breasts which hurt badly. To instances of exposure by weird men to work place sexism and harassment. I dealt with them in a reasonable manner, but IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.