Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sexual Harassment of Girls and Young Women

(59 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 13-Mar-21 11:52:56

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1f39f842-8347-11eb-8dc5-6a6f238d9d27?shareToken=b96eb3f6bace72751da316297ca0288d
(no paywall on this article)

Scroll down the testimonials on @everyonesinvited and weep. Eleven-year-olds forced to send nude photos to older boys, 13-year-olds molested in front of cheering pupils in parks, 15-year-olds coerced into having sex at parties, hundreds of children’s desperate stories of rape culture, harassment, assault and sexual humiliation. This is Britain in 2021.

No individual is singled out but the schools named include famous single-sex ones such as St Paul’s School and Harrow, as well as mixed-sex schools such as Latymer Upper School in west London, Wellington College and Bedales, grammar schools and state secondary schools. Students at university have also started posting their experiences at Edinburgh, Exeter, Manchester and Newcastle. This Instagram campaign highlighting teenage sexual abuse has gone viral.

It is heartbreaking to think this is the world of our grandchildren.

TerriBull Sat 20-Mar-21 11:27:01

Yes I take on board what you say suzie, after all grooming isn't new, I'm sure as you say abuse went on it just seems so common place right now and it's everywhere.

I'm just thinking about the girls my sons had as friends, not girlfriends all through their growing up years. Neither myself or my husband would have put up with them talking about their female peer group with such a lack of respect. I remember when one of our sons was early teens he put up some near naked pin up pictures of women on his bedroom wall, my husband had a chat with him on the basis that his then very young granddaughers may wander in his bedroom when visiting, he posed this to him "is it a good idea for your young nieces to see women presented in such a way?" Son had a think about that and took them down.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:34:25

Keepingquiet, are women really seen as inferior in the home in the UK?

I am asking because we have been considered equals since the late 1970s in the Scandinavian countries, so I wonder why Britain should be so different.

I am not doubting that you know your own country best, I am just horrified to learn that these attitudes still exist.

Galaxy Sat 20-Mar-21 12:11:02

Scandinavian countries have high levels of crimes against women despite a better gender pay gap, etc so it is worth exploring what that means.

nanna8 Sat 20-Mar-21 12:26:25

I think it is a long time since women were regarded as inferior here,too. Probably some time in the early to mid 1960s. Not to say there aren’t plenty of crude and rough men around who abuse women, that has always been a problem since the year dot. Sadly, it still is especially when they are locked up in the same house through covid restrictions

MerylStreep Sat 20-Mar-21 12:54:59

nanna8
According to the magazine Australian Men’s Health Australia ranks 7th in the world for viewing. So someone’s certainly watching it.

suziewoozie Sat 20-Mar-21 13:07:28

Galaxy

Scandinavian countries have high levels of crimes against women despite a better gender pay gap, etc so it is worth exploring what that means.

It would be interesting to know about reporting, prosecution and conviction rates of such crimes in the Scandinavian countries .

keepingquiet Sat 20-Mar-21 13:36:52

grandtanteJE65

Keepingquiet, are women really seen as inferior in the home in the UK?

I am asking because we have been considered equals since the late 1970s in the Scandinavian countries, so I wonder why Britain should be so different.

I am not doubting that you know your own country best, I am just horrified to learn that these attitudes still exist.

There is a lot of lip service paid to women's equality in this country- we only have to look at pay and work opportunities to see how we still have a long way to go.
In the recent pandemic women (carers, nurses, etc) have borne the brunt of the work and have lower pay. Also more women have lost or given up their jobs, reduced their hours etc in order to teach and supervise children who couldn't go to school.
The attitudes still do exist and are maybe even getting worse.

Radagask Sat 14-Oct-23 19:19:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.