News & politics

Brexit, legal threats and the vaccine

(59 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 11:44:18

Interesting piece in The Spectator.

www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-eu-s-jab-snatching-legal-ruse-is-absurd

Callistemon Thu 18-Mar-21 20:47:00

Blossoming

It isn’t in anybody’s interests for the rest of the world to not be vaccinated.

No, it isn't.

JaneJudge Thu 18-Mar-21 20:50:39

Blossoming

It isn’t in anybody’s interests for the rest of the world to not be vaccinated.

exactly, everyone needs to be vaccinated
all the politics etc doesn't matter in this instance, we need as a human race to get vaccinated as much as possible

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 20:57:40

Please, please, please can Boris Johnson, Dominic Raab, Michael Gove and others stop referring to "our friends and neighbours" .... as this statement is 50% inaccurate.

varian Thu 18-Mar-21 21:10:37

Thanks to brexit UK exports to Ireland fell by 65% in January

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/18/brexit-blamed-for-british-exports-to-ireland-falling-65-in-january

Dinahmo Thu 18-Mar-21 23:35:28

Sarnia Astrazeneca has factories all over Europe and two sites in Germany and Belgium are currently making the vaccine. They have also contracted the world's largest vaccine maker, which happens to be in India to make the vaccine for developing nations. So, at least Big Pharma is getting on with supplying the world.

nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 04:58:58

Australia has been blocked by the astra Zeneca suppliers and we were wishing to donate 1,000,000 vaccines to Papua New Guinea which we are paying for to help them. They have blocked that,too. Nice one.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:07:25

nanna I know Italy stopped it for a time. Were there others?

vegansrock Fri 19-Mar-21 06:23:04

India seems to be doing what the EU ( briefly) threatened to do, and were rightfully criticised for, let’s see if India come in for the same abuse.

nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:36:25

I don’t think the blockage of Australian orders is connected with the halt because of concerns about side effects, more that they don’t care about us and think we don’t need it because we have been so strict in controlling it. As soon as we open the airports it will come back of course. We are usually last to get things like that, guess we are used to it by now. We should get our act together and manufacture our own - but they won’t let us do that,either.

Katie59 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:46:34

Australia and NZ have the lowest need for a vaccine because they have successfully kept most of Covid out, if they continue with travel restrictions they will be safe.

Katie59 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:54:11

JenniferEccles

I can’t be the only one who suspects the EU’s days are numbered.

Their ongoing behaviour around the vaccines demonstrates exactly the sort of behaviour and attitude that those of us who voted to leave were so delighted to escape.

Brexit has actually strengthened EU unity, they see how much mess is created by isolationist UK, when I drive in Europe alongside my GB sticker I have another
“Don’t blame me I voted Remain”

Ashcombe Fri 19-Mar-21 06:56:36

My 72 year old DH lives in France and has no idea when he will be vaccinated. His local pharmacy is supposed to be administering the vaccine but have no supplies yet. Many French people are reluctant to have it and his pharmacist expressed surprise when she heard I’d had my first one and that he was keen to have it, too!

Oldwoman70 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:07:23

nanna8

I don’t think the blockage of Australian orders is connected with the halt because of concerns about side effects, more that they don’t care about us and think we don’t need it because we have been so strict in controlling it. As soon as we open the airports it will come back of course. We are usually last to get things like that, guess we are used to it by now. We should get our act together and manufacture our own - but they won’t let us do that,either.

I understood Australia has almost completed setting up their own production line for the vaccine.

Casdon Fri 19-Mar-21 07:12:11

You’re right Oldwoman70. My sister’s a nurse out there, and she told me they are starting to administer locally produced vaccines from next Monday.

Katie59 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:45:14

I’m just watching reports of the lockdown in France, indeed other countries as well, this may well result in our international travel ban being extended. Also vaccination of younger age group has been delayed, so vaccination certificates are going to be delayed. We don’t have any overseas travel planned until autumn, it’s likely that UK travel will happen as planned, international may not.

Lucca Fri 19-Mar-21 08:18:11

“ We should get our act together and manufacture our own - but they won’t let us do that,either.”

“ I understood Australia has almost completed setting up their own production line for the vaccine.” “ My sister’s a nurse out there, and she told me they are starting to administer locally produced vaccines from next Monday.”

So which is right Nanna8?

JaneJudge Fri 19-Mar-21 08:24:29

vegansrock

India seems to be doing what the EU ( briefly) threatened to do, and were rightfully criticised for, let’s see if India come in for the same abuse.

I got the impression India thought 'if you are all going to argue amongst yourselves, we will just use it up and produce more' and I can't say I blame them. Good for Inida

Kandinsky Fri 19-Mar-21 08:24:55

Europeans are a lot more sceptical of vaccines than we are here so they’ll always be in trouble with C19.
The AZ thing certainly wouldn’t have helped, it’s just handed the anti vaccine brigade all the ammunition they need.
We’ll be living in partial lockdown for ever most probably.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Mar-21 08:25:20

On the news this morning they said the supply problem in India is due to a shortage of raw materials which is slowing production.

JaneJudge Fri 19-Mar-21 08:27:07

Where are you Kandinsky?

Casdon Fri 19-Mar-21 08:35:11

I’ve just found an article Lucca.
www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-05/astrazeneca-vaccine-australian-made-rollout-from-march-22/13220254
My sister is involved in it, so I believed what she told me.

Kandinsky Fri 19-Mar-21 08:38:11

Where am I ?

UK

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:09:20

There was always going to be problems regarding the continuing supply of all Covid vaccines, the majority of the worlds population needs two doses.

It is totally understandable that the raw resources will have hiccups, syringes, glass vials, packing and not to mention the vaccine ingredients themselves the numbers/amounts needed are phenomenal.

Lucca Fri 19-Mar-21 09:19:43

Casdon

I’ve just found an article Lucca.
www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-05/astrazeneca-vaccine-australian-made-rollout-from-march-22/13220254
My sister is involved in it, so I believed what she told me.

That’s great news ! I wasn’t challenging by the way

trisher Fri 19-Mar-21 09:54:00

I Googled to see if I could find any evidence to support the ideas in the Spectator article. I couldn't. Fake news?