Brexit, legal threats and the vaccine

(58 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 11:44:18

Interesting piece in The Spectator.

www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-eu-s-jab-snatching-legal-ruse-is-absurd

Firecracker123 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:57:36

Wow an interesting read. Thanks.

Sarnia Thu 18-Mar-21 12:25:19

The EU come across as sulking over Brexit and trying to deflect attention from themselves and their own snail's pace in ordering the vaccine. In their skewed logic any country who has a vaccine programme up and running effectively is a fair target to put a spanner in the works. Talk of taking over vaccine production factories and blocking deliveries to the UK is bordering on deranged. If this is the EU then I am glad we are out of it and I wouldn't be surprised to see other EU countries in the not too distant future taking a leaf out of our book.

JenniferEccles Thu 18-Mar-21 12:27:12

I can’t be the only one who suspects the EU’s days are numbered.

Their ongoing behaviour around the vaccines demonstrates exactly the sort of behaviour and attitude that those of us who voted to leave were so delighted to escape.

JenniferEccles Thu 18-Mar-21 12:31:43

With the benefit of hindsight I wonder how many of those who voted to remain, are now actually relieved that we have left?

Pantglas2 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:34:03

I really can’t be ars3d with all this politicking- I have friends, older than me in their late sixties and seventies, living in Spain and Greece who haven’t even been offered their first injections yet.

Absolute disgrace when little Wales has delivered enough jabs to cover almost half it’s 3.2 million population.

mokryna Thu 18-Mar-21 12:39:56

Did anyone watch Good morning Britain this morning when a scientist explained how much the EU is doing to supply Canada and Australia, commonwealth, as well as other countries in need, he was not listened to.

mokryna Thu 18-Mar-21 12:50:35

This is one of many examples
PRAGUE, Feb 25 (Reuters) - France will provide 100,000 doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to the Czech Republic by mid-March, Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis told CTK news agency on Thursday.

The Czech Republic has been struggling with resurgent COVID-19 pandemic in the past weeks, ranking among the worst-hit countries in the world in terms of infections and deaths from the global pandemic. (Reporting by Robert Muller; Editing by Alison Williams)

JaneJudge Thu 18-Mar-21 12:53:52

My friend is Czech and the situation is awful. She has an elderly Father who she just cannot see, I worry for her. Sorry I realise this is off topic but it is in everyone's best interests that all countries get vaccinated asap

Sarnia Thu 18-Mar-21 17:43:54

JaneJudge

My friend is Czech and the situation is awful. She has an elderly Father who she just cannot see, I worry for her. Sorry I realise this is off topic but it is in everyone's best interests that all countries get vaccinated asap

A very good point. I listened to a scientist saying that lifting the patents on these vaccines would enable countries to make their own supply rather than wait for other countries to help them out but he couldn't see the present vaccine suppliers agreeing to it. As you say the world needs a vaccine. Like you, I have an elderly friend living abroad, in Spain in her case and no sign of a vaccine for her yet and no information available.

Katie59 Thu 18-Mar-21 18:10:00

I wish them the best of luck seizing the recipe and making it themselves, the problem is of their own making late ordering late vaccinating, now they are suspending use for no reason.

This is just an internal diversion to try to put the blame away from politicians, unusually our own government did get it right, probably the only thing for a year.

varian Thu 18-Mar-21 18:27:35

JenniferEccles

I can’t be the only one who suspects the EU’s days are numbered.

Their ongoing behaviour around the vaccines demonstrates exactly the sort of behaviour and attitude that those of us who voted to leave were so delighted to escape.

No JenniferEccles you are not the only one who has formed that opinion. Readers of the Spectator, Torygraph, Daily Mail, Express and Sun are all being led by the nose in the same direction.

Deedaa Thu 18-Mar-21 18:36:32

JenniferEccles I've been wondering what the rest of you were so delighted to escape. Remainers are just depairing at the fact that things are even worse than we expected. NHS workers leaving in droves, research grants disappearing and the idiot Raab boasting about the trade deals which will be easier if we ignore human rights issues.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Mar-21 18:45:56

I voted Remain and because of Covid upon as the same time we haven't had chance yet to see the full impact. It's very early days yet and hasn't taken off as it would have done in " normal " times.

Last week we saw the fields full of unpicked daffs, especially before Mother's Day as normally there'd be the usual gangs of Eastern Europeans beavering away picking them. The growers tried hiring our own " home-grown " workers----but sadly they didn't last a week because they were wet and cold.!

That's by the by as they're only flowers but what happens when the food produce is ready for harvesting later on ? There are some things that can't be done using machinery such as the fruit picking. What'll it be then---too hot ?

Kapitan Thu 18-Mar-21 19:09:21

If the Remainers had won and we were still in the EU, there would be a load more old people dying because they could not get the vaccine. I'd rather see the Daffs wilt then people die.

Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 19:19:10

I thought you were a Brexiteer *EV, obviously a misunderstanding on my part at some time. I voted Remain too, but the ship has sailed and here we are.

The migrant worker issue would surely be the same if we had remained, thanks to Covid.

Varian that’s rather a snarky comment. People are entitled to express their views, even if you don’t agree with them. I found the Spectator article interesting as it looked at the broader picture. I don’t agree with everything they publish but I don’t only read things that bolster my views.

MaizieD Thu 18-Mar-21 19:21:52

Kapitan

If the Remainers had won and we were still in the EU, there would be a load more old people dying because they could not get the vaccine. I'd rather see the Daffs wilt then people die.

If Remain had won we wouldn't have the appalling government we have now and the whole management of the pandemic would have been more effective and caused far less loss of life.

You have no idea just how lucky the present government has been with the vaccine. And as it is the ONLY thing it has got anywhere near right in this dreadful year I suggest that people pipe down a bit. 130,000+ dead is hugely shameful.

I doubt if the EU is anywhere near falling apart. I thought it was meant to crumble the minute the UK voted Leave... hmm

JaneJudge Thu 18-Mar-21 19:25:29

it isn't in our best interests in the UK for the rest of Europe to not get vaccinated, everyone needs to be everywhere

Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 19:52:06

It isn’t in anybody’s interests for the rest of the world to not be vaccinated.

GillT57 Thu 18-Mar-21 19:55:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Mar-21 19:57:19

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

varian Thu 18-Mar-21 19:58:44

If we were still in the EU it would have made no difference to our ability to source our own va cine as we have done . EU members had the choice of joining the EU programme or doing their own thing.

Kapitan Thu 18-Mar-21 20:11:11

Maizie D. The British Government's response was fantastic. 25 million jabs delivered - well done Boris. varian. I disagree. I believe they were coerced into participating in the programme. The sooner the rest of Europe throws off the yoke of the EU oligarchy all the better for them. GillT57. I note you dithered before making your street gutter response. A behaviour I associate with the Labour Party.

Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 20:16:14

Please fellow GNers could we keep this discussion courteous and factual.

GillT57 would you care to explain why you disagree with Kapitan’s post? I’m sure we would all find it illuminating.

Callistemon Thu 18-Mar-21 20:45:16

mokryna

Did anyone watch Good morning Britain this morning when a scientist explained how much the EU is doing to supply Canada and Australia, commonwealth, as well as other countries in need, he was not listened to.

They are not supplying vaccines to Australia as an act of charity.

Australia has ordered 100 million doses of vaccine for which they are paying, enough for their population plus those there on a working Visa to have two doses and enough left over to supply other smaller nations in the South Pacific free of charge.

In fact, Italy has blocked a shipment of vaccines to Australia.