Gransnet forums

News & politics

Flying the flag

(538 Posts)
varian Sat 20-Mar-21 13:51:47

Does the display of union jacks by politicians making video calls from their homes not just appear ridiculous, but a tad sinister?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/19/flag-of-convenience-why-ministers-cant-get-enough-of-the-union-jack

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Mar-21 15:35:58

Try telling folks in Cuba that a) they shouldn’t be flying their flags on their properties and b) they’re right wing ?

varian Sat 20-Mar-21 15:36:31

No reason for you Gwyneth nor anyone else not to display our flag if you want to, but let's not reduce it to a party political symbol.

Alegrias1 Sat 20-Mar-21 15:36:53

The national flag could only be made an object of derision if a political party tried to appropriate it for its own ends as the SNP has done with the saltire.

They love a national symbol, the Tories.....who is that using the saltire again....?

varian Sat 20-Mar-21 15:37:28

Pantglas2

Try telling folks in Cuba that a) they shouldn’t be flying their flags on their properties and b) they’re right wing ?

Good point Pantglas

Cuba is a one party state.

growstuff Sat 20-Mar-21 15:38:55

I think it's sinister that people are oblivious of the implications of such blatant jingoism.

Casdon Sat 20-Mar-21 15:40:53

I think flags do have a place, for national occasions, and I find it helpful when items that are British made have a flag on their websites because it’s good to use UK produced goods when you can. Flying in gardens, in politicians offices etc. not for me. The worst possible place though is on the rear end of Brits shorts and swimming trunks on holiday abroad - that is just plain wrong.

growstuff Sat 20-Mar-21 15:45:35

I was grateful when my former neighbour moved and the new neighbours removed the flag. Not only did the wretched thing squeak all day and night, but everybody in the area knew the house. The old neighbour was a revolting human being who had a police caution not to harrass me, so he matched the stereotype of a person who would have a flag on a pole.

MaizieD Sat 20-Mar-21 16:08:31

This is just ridiculous. Some countries have a long tradition of flag flying. American children had to chant the oath of allegiance to it every morning in school (do they still do that?). It's a way of promoting cohesion in a diverse population and of engendering reverence for 'the flag'. This is not British. It's never been British. We just don't do it and never have.

The tories are pushing this 'super patriotism' as a purely political ploy and it is straight out of the fascist playbook. It's got very little to do with actual patriotism, it's more to do with singling out people who won't play along with it and calling them traitors. It's about winding up 'the mob'. How soon before people who don't display a union flag on their property have their windows smashed for being disloyal to the state?

Elegran Sat 20-Mar-21 16:10:28

"he matched the stereotype of a person who would have a flag on a pole" That is what it has come to - that someone who flies the flag of his country has become a "stereotype". If the flag had not been adopted by extreme examples of Little Britain-ness and then shunned by the rest of the political spectrum it would still belong to ALL British people, of whatever shade of political opinion. It is now in danger (or is it too late ?) of being sidelined into a limited and sometimes unsavoury corner. The red rose has gone the same way. When I was at school we sang "Rose of England" without irony, but now it would have to be "Rose of one demographic and political party"

The only way to rehabilitate the flag is for ALL political parties to use it as a backdrop when they are either addressing the whole country or referring to the whole country in some statement or statistic or other. Flood the media image market with photos and force the Tory party to find their own symbol and not appropriate one that is for everyone.

AmberSpyglass Sat 20-Mar-21 16:11:54

If I see someone flying or displaying the Union Jack, I tend to assume they’re racist. And I’m usually right.

MaizieD Sat 20-Mar-21 16:16:31

That's terrible, AmberSpyglass. I don't mean that your comment is terrible, I mean it's terrible that the Union Jack has acquired that connotation.

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Mar-21 16:21:09

Lawdy they’ll be telling you not to celebrate St. George’s Day next.....

lemsip Sat 20-Mar-21 16:25:05

if they are making video calls from home then presumably they are work calls as it's the 'office' to all intents and purposes so that is why the union jack is there. Why would someone question it? What's wrong with people, not the flag.

eazybee Sat 20-Mar-21 16:26:51

If I see someone flying or displaying the Union Jack, I tend to assume they’re racist. And I’m usually right.

What a very unbalanced judgement to make.

Blossoming Sat 20-Mar-21 16:33:29

The union flag is the flag of the United Kingdom. I like seeing it being used by people who are not the BNP. Keir Starmer is not a member of the Tory party but he seems to be adopting the flag recently, too.

Urmstongran Sat 20-Mar-21 16:33:43

I think they are in their offices varian not their homes! Jenrick was in his office when Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stydt made fun.

Do you think because the Union flag isn’t the EU one it should be hidden? Yes, post-Brexit it’s all about the optics but as Pantglas points out other countries are proud to fly their flag! We somehow feel it’s a little shameful or cause for derision.

Sad really.

Trisha57 Sat 20-Mar-21 16:39:41

Can I be a tad pedantic here and mention that it is only called the Union Jack when flown on a ship? Otherwise it is called the Union Flag. Sorry, I'll go now!

Urmstongran Sat 20-Mar-21 16:41:01

The tories are pushing this 'super patriotism' as a purely political ploy and it is straight out of the fascist playbook. It's got very little to do with actual patriotism, it's more to do with singling out people who won't play along with it and calling them traitors. It's about winding up 'the mob'. How soon before people who don't display a union flag on their property have their windows smashed for being disloyal to the state?

What hyperbolic nonsense MaizieD!
?

Blossoming Sat 20-Mar-21 16:41:54

Maybe we should follow the US and have a ‘Reclaim The UK Flag’ movement.

Interesting article by Ian Dunt in The New European recently-

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/the-new-patriotism-7313906

BBJS Sat 20-Mar-21 16:45:41

Flags are divisive unless they are used for recognition in sports. I agree that they are nationalistic and can be dangerous. I used to live in Yugoslavia and not long after the flag waving began the Serbs and Croats were were involved in
a vicious and unspeakable war.

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Mar-21 16:45:51

Apologies for my misnaming Trisha but I think it’s sad that in England flying a flag is perceived as a case for mockery. Here in Wales, our flag brings a smile regardless of politics ??????? which is as it should be in every country IMO.

MerylStreep Sat 20-Mar-21 16:47:23

Trisha57
But it’s only the Royal Navy ships.

MaizieD Sat 20-Mar-21 16:51:20

Urmstongran

^The tories are pushing this 'super patriotism' as a purely political ploy and it is straight out of the fascist playbook. It's got very little to do with actual patriotism, it's more to do with singling out people who won't play along with it and calling them traitors. It's about winding up 'the mob'. How soon before people who don't display a union flag on their property have their windows smashed for being disloyal to the state?^

What hyperbolic nonsense MaizieD!
?

Straight out of the fascist playbook, Ug.

Do you actually know anything about fascism? We are well on the way.

But, of course, learning from history is not terribly fashionable at the moment.

Casdon Sat 20-Mar-21 16:53:02

MaizieD I’m assuming you’re talking specifically about the Union Jack? The Welsh fly the national flag at every opportunity, it’s everywhere today, on buildings and many hanging out of people’s windows, out of cars etc etc. this isn’t new, it’s always been like this - not anti British, just proud Welsh.

GagaJo Sat 20-Mar-21 16:56:12

If we are pointing to the US as an example, flag flyers there ARE frequently the most racist, extreme examples Americans. Not for nothing were some of Trumps supporters holding flags when they stormed the Capital.

Do we REALLY need a flag to remind us of our Britishness? I certainly don't, not even when I am not living in the UK.

It is weird, flying a flag when it isn't any sort of occasion. Next we'll be requiring children to sing Rule bl**dy Britannia at school in assembly. IF normal school life ever resumes, that is.