Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is MILF an acceptable term?

(136 Posts)
trisher Sun 21-Mar-21 10:06:58

The Labour candidate for Hartlepool tweetedyears ago that someone was a MILF. Is he a misogynist or just a badly informed young man, and is he suitable as a Labour candidate?

Mollygo Tue 23-Mar-21 13:56:30

Neither acronym was familiar, though I certainly know more now than I ever wanted to Grumppa! ???

Baggs Tue 23-Mar-21 13:53:11

grumppa, ?

Baggs Tue 23-Mar-21 13:52:37

MaizieD

Perhaps his long term partner knew very well that he wouldn't actually do it?

Yes, MD.

Meanwhile it has occurred to me that women with chidren who re-marry (or even marry for the first time; it seems quite common nowadays for people to get married when they've already been together for several years and have children) have been MILFs to somebody.

I also wonder if those who don't find the term offensive know that they have been MILFs to somebody, sometime, even if nothing came of it ?

I don't find the idea or the term intrinsically offensive. I think even happily married/partnered men might think it of someone without causing anyone any harm; happily married women ditto of the male version, though I agree that using it publicly, such as a in the tweet that got Williams into trouble, is risqué.

But it was years ago. Who's to say he hasn't moved on since then and wouldn't do such a thing now? Also, he has apologised. As I've mentioned on another thread somewhere, people come across as very unforgiving. It's not that bad a misdemeanour.

Ro60 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:47:06

Grumpa ??

grumppa Tue 23-Mar-21 13:43:10

I must say DILF was new to me. The whole subject might be better summed up if Dad was replaced by Father....

janeainsworth Tue 23-Mar-21 11:45:01

He seems to have been at a dinner party when he sent his tweet
Well if any of my guests were posting on Twitter during a dinner party, that would be the last time they came round to my house!

MaizieD Tue 23-Mar-21 09:02:44

Perhaps his long term partner knew very well that he wouldn't actually do it?

NotSpaghetti Tue 23-Mar-21 08:48:45

I find it hard to think that any long term partner of any merit would be tweeting his desire to f*ck other women.

I know this man has done a number of things I do actually approve of, as well as things I dont, but really? Wonder what his long-term partner thought about it at the time.

Lauren59 Tue 23-Mar-21 03:08:49

I wouldn’t trust the judgment of anyone who publicly used that term.

growstuff Tue 23-Mar-21 02:03:05

ann678tifney

I think it could give Hartlepool a bad name, and considering the sitting MP has just resigned because of sexual harrassment allegations.

Hartlepool's name has survived executing a monkey as a French spy.

trisher Mon 22-Mar-21 22:12:32

Well I wonder why the other 429 male MPs haven't used MILF?
It's really no sort of an argument or discussion is it?

Galaxy Mon 22-Mar-21 20:46:11

I wonder why we havent heard of any female politicians etc using it when someone trawls through their twitter if it's in common usage.

trisher Mon 22-Mar-21 20:41:30

Galaxy

They are not really though are they, only in reaction to this incident.

Don'r think it is anything to do with this simply a term young women do use. It may well have originated in the gay community.

Galaxy Mon 22-Mar-21 20:25:59

They are not really though are they, only in reaction to this incident.

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 19:12:59

x posts, T

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 19:12:37

*men

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 19:12:24

there isn't a similar phrase for me

According to Coren there is, or certainly was: "I am, or used to be, regularly singled out as a “TV Dilf” on gay websites"

trisher Mon 22-Mar-21 19:03:06

I think someone posted that Adrian Dunbar was now regarded as a DILF, so someone is using the term about men.

3nanny6 Mon 22-Mar-21 18:14:42

I have never heard of this person who used this word in a
tweet. It makes me wonder if he ever used it on the street to a woman.
A few posters have said it is a compliment and means hot and sexy.

Are we all in agreement that we know what the abbreviated
word M.I.L.F stands for. If we are then those who think that it is a compliment are obviously talking to the wrong men.
I had it said to me from someone on the street and was not impressed and without using strong words on this thread
I told him what he could do with himself.

MerylStreep Mon 22-Mar-21 18:13:25

I know that the first thing my OH was attracted to wasn’t my brain? then he found out he got both ?

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 18:11:39

it was about Louise Mensch??

Riverwalk Mon 22-Mar-21 18:01:58

That comparison is utter nonsense - just because he hasn't killed someone whilst being over the limit doesn't make that Tweet OK.

Quite a high bar to measure misdemeanours against.

Galaxy Mon 22-Mar-21 17:53:15

That comparison by Coren is so meaningless I dont even have the energy to counter it. I would disagree that it's meant as a compliment, and its interesting that there isnt a similar phrase for men. Certainly when its used in the street(which I accept is different) it is used in a hostile way.

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 17:45:21

This, from Giles Coren, gives some perspective, I think:

"Williams can take some solace, like me, from the fact that he has now been fully audited by the thought police and this was the worst they could find. He seems to have been at a dinner party when he sent his tweet, so I’m guessing he’d had a few drinks. Weird to think that if, instead of tweeting, he had got in his car and accidentally run Mensch over on the way home, he’d be out of prison now and rebuilding his life in peace. As it is, his sentence may be only just beginning."

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 17:28:50

What a few nature programmes. Sexiness is massively important but that doesn't mean less sexy animals don't get partners.

But we digress.