Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bad language

(111 Posts)
varian Mon 22-Mar-21 13:49:45

Those who organised the "Kill the Bill" demonstration in Bristol were no doubt referring to the bill currently going through parliament to restrict protests and impose draconian punishments for damaging property, but unfortunately "Kill the Bill" meant something quite different to a mob of violent hooligans who attacked the police, leaving many injured.

The power of language should not be underestimated.

news.sky.com/story/bristol-kill-the-bill-protest-20-officers-injured-two-seriously-by-rioters-who-came-for-fight-with-police-12253360

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 13:51:34

It is terrible sad I had never thought the message might be taken literally

glammanana Mon 22-Mar-21 14:03:28

Never mind the term Kill the Bill it was more like Rent a Mob totally disgraceful in my opinion,Police Officers gone out to do their daily job ending up in hospital is terrible.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Mar-21 14:17:51

I am annoyed to see that Farage has tried to jump on the bandwagon and blame the BLM movement.

What on earth did the Bristol riots have to do with the BLM’s ?

Sometimes his racist agenda is so blatantly obvious.

varian Mon 22-Mar-21 14:26:46

There is a strong belief in Bristol that some of the worst hooligans were "rentamob" and were actually paid to be there - not by BLM but by far right groups who want to see the bill passed.

Witzend Mon 22-Mar-21 14:31:45

It would seem that virtually any demo nowadays attracts a cohort who actively want and incite trouble, so they can complain about the police.
Not that I’m saying that the police are invariably 100% blameless, but I’m sure you know what I mean.

BigBertha1 Mon 22-Mar-21 14:31:51

Pritti Patel said it was 'unacceptable' as though it was a case of bad manners. I think she might have put it more strongly e.g. illegal!

Devorgilla Mon 22-Mar-21 14:55:07

Is violence ever acceptable? We don't need a new bill. This sort of wanton violence is already illegal.

Baggs Mon 22-Mar-21 15:22:43

ww2, I think some of the BLM riots in the US did turn violent (looting, burning, general destruction - not necessarily inflicted by supporters of BLM). I expect that's how whatsisname made the connection.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Mar-21 15:33:46

It is rather premature for anyone to use inflammatory language naming the rent-a-mob either far right or far left, as this will only fan the flames of any future protests.

AmberSpyglass Mon 22-Mar-21 15:34:14

Oh, you mean the peaceful protesters who weren’t actually causing trouble until the police stirred things up? The police deserved everything they got.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Mar-21 15:41:57

AmberSpyglass

Oh, you mean the peaceful protesters who weren’t actually causing trouble until the police stirred things up? The police deserved everything they got.

Did the police force the nice gentle folks to defecate on the steps of the Police Station?

Firecracker123 Mon 22-Mar-21 15:49:00

15:34AmberSpyglass

Are you for real what a nasty comment to make. So I suppose it was the police's fault the rent a mob of anarchists torched the police cars, sprayed Kill the Bill on walls stoned the police station, some even stood in front of the police pulled down their trousers and crapped on the floor, but in your eyes I suppose that was OK. Disgusting if you agree with that.

GillT57 Mon 22-Mar-21 15:49:51

varian

There is a strong belief in Bristol that some of the worst hooligans were "rentamob" and were actually paid to be there - not by BLM but by far right groups who want to see the bill passed.

Yes, I agree. This dreadful bill is proving unpopular even with the Tory backbenchers, and there is nothing like a riot to get the tabloids and their readers frothing at the mouth and calling for all the draconian restrictions that Patel is trying to force through to be implemented. Yes, the Bristol riots were dreadful, but I was very very impressed by the calm, articulate evaluation of the situation by the Mayor of Bristol. He described the mob as politically illiterate. As for Farage, what an opportunistic silly old man he is. Who cares what he thinks

MaizieD Mon 22-Mar-21 15:58:35

I don't think that many posters on this thread have actually read the OP.

I doubt if it was a 'rentamob'. I think it was an element that had had a few drinks, had nothing to do with the initial protest and thought that the title of the protest was literally to 'kill the bill'; i.e the 'old bill' aka the police. There are plenty of people at some level of society who would find that prospect enticing. I don't think they ever had the slightest bit of interest in the Policing bill. Probably didn't even know it existed.

Looking back on 50or so years of 'protests' I don't ever recall a mob behaving in quite such a violent and extreme fashion apart from in NI during 'the troubles'.

We're learning lessons about protests fast over this las couple of weeks I think.

Firecracker123 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:00:59

Actually it was Sisters Uncut the same group who hijacked Sarah Everard vigil who teamed up with anarchists. Sorry to disappoint you it wasn't far right supporters.

MaizieD Mon 22-Mar-21 16:10:24

Firecracker123

Actually it was Sisters Uncut the same group who hijacked Sarah Everard vigil who teamed up with anarchists. Sorry to disappoint you it wasn't far right supporters.

And your source for this is?

I don't think that anyone who thought for two minutes would blame far right supporters. The Policing bill isn't the sort of thing that would interest them, except to support it.

But I doubt if, even though they would support it, they would turn out in a counter demonstration to those who oppose it.

AGAA4 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:21:54

I agree with protests. The only problem is they often get hijacked by rioters who are only interested in violence.

The scumbags in Bristol were the lowest of the low and I hope those injured policemen/women are not too badly hurt.

varian Mon 22-Mar-21 16:29:23

I have been told that some of the thugs were heard boasting that they'd been paid by far-right groups. They themselves probably have little interest in politics but were up for a fight, especially if a large group of them were able to attack a much smaller group of police officers.

Their far-right paymasters were interested in getting peaceful protesters branded as violent and wanted dreadful scenes online and on tv, knowing that this would lead the Express, Sun, Daily Mail, Torygraph, etc to demand that even more stringent legislation is passed.

Iam64 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:31:48

AmberSpyglass

What on earth are you talking aboutAmberSpyglass? One officer has a punctured lung caused by being stamped on. Does he ‘deserve everything he got?’

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:38:10

Varian and Firecracker123 until the police have done a thorough investigation neither of your allegations regarding the provenance of the trouble makers is anything more than hearsay.

Chestnut Mon 22-Mar-21 16:40:04

Whitewavemark2

I am annoyed to see that Farage has tried to jump on the bandwagon and blame the BLM movement.

What on earth did the Bristol riots have to do with the BLM’s ?

Sometimes his racist agenda is so blatantly obvious.

Can you put a link to that as I can't find it.

Oldwoman70 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:43:30

varian

Where do you hear of this "strong belief" - read the local newspaper comments and 98% are against this violence, only 1 has suggested the silly "far right" conspiracy theory

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Mar-21 16:44:39

Chesnut he made the comment on his Twitter page.

PippaZ Mon 22-Mar-21 16:57:53

varian

That thought has just occurred to me; I'm hoping others will see there is probably more to this than meets the eye.

Each move this government makes moves us nearer to the far-right adgenda.