Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bad language

(112 Posts)
varian Mon 22-Mar-21 13:49:45

Those who organised the "Kill the Bill" demonstration in Bristol were no doubt referring to the bill currently going through parliament to restrict protests and impose draconian punishments for damaging property, but unfortunately "Kill the Bill" meant something quite different to a mob of violent hooligans who attacked the police, leaving many injured.

The power of language should not be underestimated.

news.sky.com/story/bristol-kill-the-bill-protest-20-officers-injured-two-seriously-by-rioters-who-came-for-fight-with-police-12253360

MaizieD Thu 25-Mar-21 20:24:27

So, it turns out that reports of quite serious injuries to the police were exaggerated (didn't actually happen)

But in an updated press release on Wednesday, the force clarified this was not true, saying: “Thankfully, following a full medical assessment of the two officers taken to hospital, neither were found to have suffered confirmed broken bones.” Around the same time, a BBC reporter said on Twitter that Andy Marsh, the head of the force, had admitted in a press conference that no officer had a punctured lung.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/25/police-retract-claims-that-officers-suffered-broken-bones-at-bristol-protest

Nanna58 Thu 25-Mar-21 20:28:13

Amberspyglass that was an absolutely disgraceful comment ; you do not deserve the protection of a Police Force of whom I am proud to say my daughter is a member

Oldwoman70 Fri 26-Mar-21 14:49:37

MaizieD

So, it turns out that reports of quite serious injuries to the police were exaggerated (didn't actually happen)

But in an updated press release on Wednesday, the force clarified this was not true, saying: “Thankfully, following a full medical assessment of the two officers taken to hospital, neither were found to have suffered confirmed broken bones.” Around the same time, a BBC reporter said on Twitter that Andy Marsh, the head of the force, had admitted in a press conference that no officer had a punctured lung.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/25/police-retract-claims-that-officers-suffered-broken-bones-at-bristol-protest

Those officers were still so badly hurt that paramedics took them to hospital. The initial statement would have been based on information given on the scene, a scene which would have included bottles, stones and fireworks being thrown. Remember even fire crews were attacked when they attended to try to put out the blazing van

Are you suggesting that it was OK they were attacked as the injuries were not as bad as originally thought!

Callistemon Fri 26-Mar-21 17:04:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaizieD Fri 26-Mar-21 17:12:37

Are you suggesting that it was OK they were attacked as the injuries were not as bad as originally thought!

You can just stop your nasty insinuations right there, Oldwoman70. You are wrong. That's all I intend to say.

Oldwoman70 Fri 26-Mar-21 19:10:05

Not insinuating anything you said "(didn't actually happen)". Yes it did happen, officers were injured, thankfully not as badly as was first thought.

Callistemon Fri 26-Mar-21 20:17:59

It depends what could be termed as serious.

It was reported that there was a punctured lung and broken bones but other injuries not involving actual breaks etc could be quite serious and involve further surgery.

Oldwoman70 Fri 26-Mar-21 21:04:56

There are currently reports of around 1,000 protesters near the police station which was attacked on Sunday, some pictured with knuckle dusters and others carrying bags of alcohol. Certainly all the signs of a "peaceful" protest.

AmberSpyglass Mon 29-Mar-21 14:37:51

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/28/police-bristol-protests-locals-violent-mobs-havoc

This has a slightly more accurate view of events, I suspect. It’s clear who the violent offenders were, and it wasn’t the protesters.

MaizieD Mon 29-Mar-21 16:03:56

Interesting twitter thread here that I found, quite by accident, on Friday evening as the protest was going on.

I have no idea what the Huck magazine is. I was just watching the way things were developing. It looks as though it was noisy, but non threatening, and really a bit aimless for most of the time. As the person reporting was tweeting and filming as and when things happened I don't think he (?) would have had time to be selective about what he was showing. Others may disagree with me.

I think the police came equipped for battle...

twitter.com/HUCKmagazine/status/1375596127043645444

Iam64 Mon 29-Mar-21 16:07:14

Matty Edwards wrote an article that suits your belief system and narrative Amber. I don’t dispute some protesters were handled aggressively.
I do question why people were drinking and had hadn’t Fireworks to throw at the horses,