Gransnet forums

News & politics

The new Scottish ALBA party - led by Salmond announced just now. Wowzer ‼️

(129 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 26-Mar-21 14:13:24

Must have been kept under wraps no-one saw this coming!

Scotland's former first minister has made a sensational return to frontline politics, announcing he is to lead a new pro-Scottish independence party called the Alba Party.

In a press conference at 2pm on Friday, he was unveiled as the new party's frontman for the Holyrood elections ahead of the May 6 vote.

Setting out its aims, the Alba Party said: "National independence for Scotland as an immediate necessity, and overwhelming priority, achieved by democratic means through a vote of people resident in Scotland.

"The promotion of all Scottish interests, and the building of an economically successful, environmentally responsible and socially-just independent country, through the pursuit of a social democratic programme.

"The acceptance by the Scottish people of a written constitution for the newly independent country; defending the rights, liberties and equality of all citizens before the law."

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Apr-21 16:01:41

I'm not sure what your comment to me means M0nica so apologies if I have misinterpreted it. You are entitled to say you think all SNP representatives are smugly self satisfied and I am entitled to say that I don't agree with you that they are.

As for John Knox and Presbyterianism. Well John Knox hasn't been around for 450 years or so, so I think we've moved on a bit. I'm also wondering if there are any Presbyterians on GN that would like to comment on whether they consider themselves to have the monopoly of virtue?

It does tar every inhabitant of the country with the "dour Scot" epithet so I'm going to disagree with you there as well. Or is it just the SNP ones who are displaying these Holy Willie tendencies?

Parsley3 Thu 01-Apr-21 16:06:15

No one could reasonably describe Salmond as being holier than thou if they have followed his career. However, I will add seeming to be self satisfied and virtuous to the list of undesirable qualities in a politician. Now who to vote for?

M0nica Sat 03-Apr-21 09:46:05

I would certainly not describe Scots as particularly dour, at least, not the ones I have met. It is more making a judgement from afar on how the leaders and members of the SNP come across in the media and in interviews.

It is worth remembering that many a person of impeccable rectitude in public has been found to have a private life that is anything but.