Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jennifer Arcuri publicly admitting four year affair with Boris Johnson

(159 Posts)
DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 10:38:04

Are any other gransnetters angry about this?

£126,000 and coveted places on trade missions to New York and Tel Aviv alongside Johnson, despite failing to fulfil the criteria to be given both the money or the places on these trips?

I see many people online say many politicians cheat, but he lied and said that he behaved with ‘honesty and integrity”. She was given preferential treatment and the then london mayor should have declared the conflict of interest.

Coupled with the huge financial handouts to Tories mates for PPE I am furious and deeply regretting my conservative vote.

Wondered what others thoughts were? I wrote to my MP but he is a weasel and not expecting a sensible response.

trisher Tue 30-Mar-21 12:52:18

Jaxjacky

Has she run short of money to kiss and tell to The Mirror now?

Well yes Jaxjacky she probably has. Her main source of funding has shacked up with Carrie.

Blinko Tue 30-Mar-21 12:59:27

Scribbles

Johnson is a complete sleazeball and unfit for public office. I am not a supporter of his party but lost any trace of respect for their MPs when they made that lying incompetent their leader.

I agree. The problem is, there are a number of real sleazeballs in Parliament which is most probably why he is not openly challenged. To a certain class of toad, it's normal behaviour.

HurdyGurdy Tue 30-Mar-21 13:12:21

Does this make him any different to any other politician? Look back over the years, and there's plenty of stories about them.

I wouldn't trust any politician as far as I could throw them.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:28:10

I am not a "Boris Babe" Maizie, I'm no one's babeangry and as you've posted its not only Boris Babes that wouldn't like your comment as you yourself have said it was in poor taste.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 30-Mar-21 14:23:21

The problem is that Johnson is able to behave as he does because he has cultivated a “clownish” persona which is weirdly attractive to people. It does make you wonder how much more he can get away with and in this context I don’t think MaizieD’s metaphor was far out.

There was a good article in the Guardian recently by Edward Docx entitled The Clown King: how Boris Johnson made it by playing the fool. Worth a read, but I know some who have a visceral hate of the paper won’t do so, grin.

Sadly it’s now beyond a joke.

growstuff Tue 30-Mar-21 15:04:33

There used to be a little man with a moustache people thought was too comical to be dangerous.

Summerlove Tue 30-Mar-21 15:27:17

JaneJudge

I am baffled as to why people defend him as well, I don't even understand why people like him though!

People don’t like to admit they are wrong.

They also put themselves as having similar morals and ideologies.

Though why they do is anyone’s guess. I suppose they genuinely think that they are morally superior to the rest of us?

Blossoming Tue 30-Mar-21 15:30:41

What I don’t understand is how on Earth the slimy creep persuades any women to sleep with him.

maddyone Tue 30-Mar-21 15:33:18

Alegrias1

I thought MaizieD's comment was appropriate in the context of the discussion. How far would he have to go before his party says "enough"?

However far he goes , he’s not going to roast a baby is he?

Lucca Tue 30-Mar-21 15:38:32

Summerlove

JaneJudge

I am baffled as to why people defend him as well, I don't even understand why people like him though!

People don’t like to admit they are wrong.

They also put themselves as having similar morals and ideologies.

Though why they do is anyone’s guess. I suppose they genuinely think that they are morally superior to the rest of us?

To some people if he’s Conservative he’s fine no matter what.. My mother for example.

Granny23 Tue 30-Mar-21 15:56:46

I am sick and tired of the endless comments on facebook and twitter which state that we have ALL done something unsavoury and best forgotten at some point in our lives. I am not claiming to be lily white, I have a few embarrassing memories that I would rather were not splashed across the gutter press for all to see. (Not going to happen, as no one is interested in me). However, although I have reason to be a little ashamed of myself, none of these lapses were intended to, or indeed did, hurt someone else. I could say the same of all my family and close friends and am annoyed, on their behalf, by the excuses or statements that EVERYONE is "at it" in some shape or form.

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 16:07:14

At what point does anyone think he is morally superior though? The way he treats women is actually disgraceful. All these kids everywhere, some he doesn't see, some he has minimal interest in. Yes, his horrible tight white shirt, messy hair, I don't think he is that tall/robust/fit/handsome, isn't at all coherent and then quickly mumbles into a shout <something about football!> I WILL NOT MENTION THE WAR BUT AN ALLUSION TO THE SPIRIT.

Whilst he and that rest of his cabinet and aides are wasting taxpayers money on NONSENSE.

Rosina Tue 30-Mar-21 16:08:22

This woman has been appearing in the news sporadically and 'dropping hints' for months; so tiresome. The private lives of MPs should be just that, as they are in other countries. French presidents have had mistresses over the years without media comment - I had a brief talk with the mistress of Francois Mitterand when I was looking for a book in the Musee D'Orsay, where she worked. I had no idea until a French friend enlightened me - everyone knew but there was no public censure, or even interest. BJ never discusses his private life - why should he? I am no great fan - just detest the picking over of people's private lives based on rumour and media hype. If there is anything that is inappropriate about public funding for this person's company then let's have evidence and let it be dealt with properly.

Sarnia Tue 30-Mar-21 17:00:26

You only have to look at the media to see how many of the Tory party cronies have been handed lucrative contracts. Goodness knows how much more would have been thrown away had David Cameron succeeded in getting huge amounts of money given to Greensill. Jobs for the boys. It stinks and nobody gets bought to book.

MaizieD Tue 30-Mar-21 17:48:39

Rosina

This woman has been appearing in the news sporadically and 'dropping hints' for months; so tiresome. The private lives of MPs should be just that, as they are in other countries. French presidents have had mistresses over the years without media comment - I had a brief talk with the mistress of Francois Mitterand when I was looking for a book in the Musee D'Orsay, where she worked. I had no idea until a French friend enlightened me - everyone knew but there was no public censure, or even interest. BJ never discusses his private life - why should he? I am no great fan - just detest the picking over of people's private lives based on rumour and media hype. If there is anything that is inappropriate about public funding for this person's company then let's have evidence and let it be dealt with properly.

You just don't have any idea what the problem is, do you.

He can sleep with as many women as he can persuade to get into bed with him as he likes. I do not give a tinker's cuss about that; neither do a good many people.

The objection is that he took his mistress *on several 'trade missions' to the US*; missions which she was not eligible to join, and *we, the public paid for her to go. In addition, he put £126,000 of public money her way for her 'tech business' (she was a flipping pole dancer, for heaven's sake)
This is known in most circles as corruption. He corruptly misused public money to benefit his mistress.

None of this is rumour, it is truth. Dammit, the woman has just 'told all' in the Sunday Mirror this weekend (though most people were pretty sure of it already).

I am absolutely astounded that you think this is just a little misdemeanour..

Polarbear2 Tue 30-Mar-21 17:54:49

It’s about integrity. He hasn’t got any.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Mar-21 18:08:03

Also about truth. He lies

What a charmer.

DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 18:38:53

I think some posters are missing the point. It isn’t the affair itself, but the corruption. Boris gave his mistress public money which was a misuse of his position and fraudulent

In the wider context others in the Conservative party such as Matt Hancock are giving huge sums of money to friends through PPE contracts. Why does everyone seem to gloss over this? Where is the anger for our hard earned taxpayer money going to Tory members and their cronies?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Mar-21 18:42:25

This

Septimia Tue 30-Mar-21 18:55:17

Let whoever is without sin cast the first stone is the first thought that comes to mind.

I should add that I'm not condoning Boris' behaviour in any way. Like others who have commented above, I generally don't trust any politicians.

I'm tired too. Tired of the bitching about Boris and everybody else. I wish we could all be honest, upright and kind.

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 18:56:59

well I'm actually bothered about how he conducts his privates life as I know very well IF IT WAS A FEMALE/WOMAN it would be pawed over within an inch of its life and no woman would be PM. I notice even the examples on here have been about male politicians having mistresses hmm

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 19:00:09

why do I/we have to be kind to him when he let the coronavirus act pass in parliament so rights were taken off people with disabilities, disability rights have been taken back by 3 decades. My daughter in her 20s was issued with an automatic DNR, we were told she wouldn't be taken to hospital if she became ill. Like someone posted before, some small chap with a moustache was considered a fool too. Who did he start with?

Septimia Tue 30-Mar-21 19:02:29

JaneJudge I hope you didn't think that I meant us to be kind to Boris - I meant kind to everyone!

Dinahmo Tue 30-Mar-21 19:03:47

Rosina "I had no idea until a French friend enlightened me - everyone knew but there was no public censure, or even interest. BJ never discusses his private life - why should he? I am no great fan - just detest the picking over of people's private lives based on rumour and media hype. If there is anything that is inappropriate about public funding for this person's company then let's have evidence and let it be dealt with properly".

Last year I was chatting to a French lady who meets up with us in the local bar to Franglais. She said to me that she envied that we could say whatever we like (Brits that is). Yesterday I asked another friend about this and she mentioned the 13th Month. What's that? Apparently, lots of professions, such as journalists. get an extra month's salary in December, if they have towed the line. That's why such goings on are never reported in the press, apart from Charlie Hebdo.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Mar-21 19:05:13

PS Funnily enough the French all knew about Mitterand's mistress and i doubt very much that they weren't interested.