Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jennifer Arcuri publicly admitting four year affair with Boris Johnson

(159 Posts)
DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 10:38:04

Are any other gransnetters angry about this?

£126,000 and coveted places on trade missions to New York and Tel Aviv alongside Johnson, despite failing to fulfil the criteria to be given both the money or the places on these trips?

I see many people online say many politicians cheat, but he lied and said that he behaved with ‘honesty and integrity”. She was given preferential treatment and the then london mayor should have declared the conflict of interest.

Coupled with the huge financial handouts to Tories mates for PPE I am furious and deeply regretting my conservative vote.

Wondered what others thoughts were? I wrote to my MP but he is a weasel and not expecting a sensible response.

Niobe Thu 22-Apr-21 10:01:49

JaneJudge , just imagine what he’d want in return!!??

Witzend Thu 22-Apr-21 10:11:29

Sleaze and cronyism are one thing, but I can’t get steamed up about affairs. Powerful men have so often had them, but in the past they were kept quiet from the bulk of ‘ordinary’ people, as they like to call us - no matter how many of the elites knew.
Wasn’t Lloyd George a notorious womaniser? Just for starters.
But the press was too deferent to publish ‘scandalous’ details.

Maybe it was the Profumo affair that finally put paid to the general pretence that powerful/rich/aristocratic people were morally beyond reproach.

IMO Mandy Rice-Davies’ reply of, ‘He would say that, wouldn’t he?’ - and the laughter that ensued in court, was something of a landmark in such matters.

Niobe Thu 22-Apr-21 10:16:36

I don’t give a stuff about politicians’ private lives as long as they don’t use public money to pay for their little bits on the side! BJ should be held to account for what he did and be made to pay it back.

Galaxy Thu 22-Apr-21 10:21:12

Yes I dont care about who he sleeps with but that's not what this is about.

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 10:39:19

I don't like the double standards. If he was a woman with various husbands, bits of the side, kids with different men he wouldn't be prime minister. I do think people need to behave appropriately in their private lives if they are in positions of power but I am a bit old fashioned like that. I do agree this is different though

Dinahmo Thu 22-Apr-21 11:46:12

The difference between now and the time of the Profumo affair was that then ministers resigned. Now they don't - with the exception of Johnny Mercer.

Dinahmo Thu 22-Apr-21 11:51:23

I should have added that Mercer didn't resign because of a scandal but because of concerns over the treatment/prosecution of soldiers.

varian Thu 22-Apr-21 19:08:23

According to Johny Mercer this government is "a cesspit full of lies"

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/johnny-mercer-government-cesspit-johnson_uk_6080542ae4b017537f0e14cb