Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jennifer Arcuri publicly admitting four year affair with Boris Johnson

(158 Posts)
DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 10:38:04

Are any other gransnetters angry about this?

£126,000 and coveted places on trade missions to New York and Tel Aviv alongside Johnson, despite failing to fulfil the criteria to be given both the money or the places on these trips?

I see many people online say many politicians cheat, but he lied and said that he behaved with ‘honesty and integrity”. She was given preferential treatment and the then london mayor should have declared the conflict of interest.

Coupled with the huge financial handouts to Tories mates for PPE I am furious and deeply regretting my conservative vote.

Wondered what others thoughts were? I wrote to my MP but he is a weasel and not expecting a sensible response.

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 10:42:41

He only ever comes to visit our county when our MP is visiting who is also generally absent, so I imagine he is at it with her as well.

As well as all the money spent, I am fed up of the misogyny in this country. If he was a woman as morally corrupt as this, he would never have been allowed to stand for Prime Minister.

Ilovecheese Tue 30-Mar-21 10:49:21

I am not so bothered about the affair, they are both adults, but the lying and the financial handouts are just appalling.
Yet time and time again he gets away with his lies and his cronyism, and still has lots of support.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Mar-21 10:51:30

They both lied didn't they but outing herself as a liar doesn't seem to bother her as long as she gets money for selling her story.

Polarbear2 Tue 30-Mar-21 10:52:46

Wow. I wondered why no one had posted about this before! It’s as though there was an embargo on the media ?. There’s a deathly silence about something, which in any normal political period, would be an immediate resignation. I despair. Teflon man ?

DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 10:54:37

JaneJudge which country and which MP are you referring too. Yes I’m sick of the double standards too. Alex Salmonds own defence lawyer stated he had acted inappropriately with female staff but it is Nicola Sturgeon who gets the bile in the press. I don’t personally care for her but she has acted very responsibly IMO during the pandemic.

Boris and his cohorts don’t seem to get any hard scrutiny in the press for corruption and the opposition isn’t mentioning it either. Very strange.

I voted conservative for strength and stability but can’t see that in this government.

Polarbear2 Tue 30-Mar-21 10:54:53

Sorry comma in x place ??

Gannygangan Tue 30-Mar-21 10:55:32

I think the pandemic is what most people are thinking about now, Polarbear2.

Many people have died. Grief stricken families. Worries about livelihoods. Mental health issues.

I'm not particularly interested in PM"s private lives.

Saying that, I still haven't got over Edwina Currie and John Major having a fling.

DillytheGardener Tue 30-Mar-21 10:58:38

Smileless2012 I’m not worried about Boris’s bit on the side lying or the affair itself (although the trail of ex wives and unknown numbers of children speak to his character)

The crux of the problem is he gave public handouts to his mistress without being transparent of the conflict of interest. They should have been given to individuals or companies that rendered above board and through the correct process and procedures.

Alegrias1 Tue 30-Mar-21 10:58:47

I'm not particularly bothered by the fact that he had yet another affair, I don't suppose any of us are surprised by that.

I am very concerned that he thought it was appropriate to financially support her business ventures with public money and take her with him on official trips.

I expect someone will come on TV later asking Nicola Sturgeon to apologise for his behaviour.

GagaJo Tue 30-Mar-21 10:59:18

The pair of them should be made to pay back all of the money he put her way.

Scribbles Tue 30-Mar-21 11:01:17

Johnson is a complete sleazeball and unfit for public office. I am not a supporter of his party but lost any trace of respect for their MPs when they made that lying incompetent their leader.

jaylucy Tue 30-Mar-21 11:03:00

Why would you want to declare that you had had an affair with someone like him in the first place ?? Or even have an affair with him anyway ?
Just seeing him walking around in his too tight white shirts and the thought of waking up to that just makes my skin crawl !!!

Polarbear2 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:06:29

Gannygangan

I think the pandemic is what most people are thinking about now, Polarbear2.

Many people have died. Grief stricken families. Worries about livelihoods. Mental health issues.

Saying that, I still haven't got over Edwina Currie and John Major having a fling.

Indeed. Bigger things to consider I guess.

Oh for the days when we reeled with shock at Majors grey pants and something about peas? Also recall major shockwaves ref some MP and a rugby shirt? Those were the days ?

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:07:02

I agree GagaJo. The money shouldn't have been given and shouldn't have been accepted.

Maybe she wouldn't have jaylucy if she hadn't been paid for her story.

MaizieD Tue 30-Mar-21 11:08:37

I'm sure that Johnson will be most relieved if everyone thought like that, Gannygangan.

The actual point of the outcry about this is that Johnson gave her 'tech' company some £120,000+ without much justification and took her on several trade mission trips to the US, trips for which she was not eligible. In other words, he took his mistress on some jollies paid for by public money. Contravenes the Nolan principles.

When Liam Fox took his 'friend', Adam Werritty, on a trade mission to the US, at public expense, the resultant outcry led to his resignation. Remember?

This BBC report on it from the days before it became the mouthpiece of the tory government:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15300751

When Johnson roasts a baby over a fire in Downing Street and then eats it, will people say "Ah, but he was hungry"? hmm

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:17:14

There was absolutely no justification for that last sentence of yours MaizieD

Blossoming Tue 30-Mar-21 11:23:15

I would have preferred Chaos With Ed.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:24:00

What a ridiculous comment Maizie that ruined an otherwise good post.

Alegrias1 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:27:35

I thought MaizieD's comment was appropriate in the context of the discussion. How far would he have to go before his party says "enough"?

Dinahmo Tue 30-Mar-21 11:51:39

MaizieD A bit like Trump saying that if he shot and killed someone in the street, he'd be forgiven!

It's quite strange about Johnson, why are so many people keen to defend him or excuse his behaviour? Allegra Stratton has said that he has honesty and integrity! He's lied, he's made so many mistakes over covid but all that is forgotten now that we have the vaccine.

JaneJudge Tue 30-Mar-21 11:55:55

I am baffled as to why people defend him as well, I don't even understand why people like him though!

MaizieD Tue 30-Mar-21 12:19:04

Alegrias1

I thought MaizieD's comment was appropriate in the context of the discussion. How far would he have to go before his party says "enough"?

Thank you, Alegrias. That is exactly the point I was making.

I know it was in poor taste, and it's interesting that only the Boris Babes didn't like it.

MaizieD Tue 30-Mar-21 12:24:46

Allegra Stratton has said that he has honesty and integrity!

There were reservations about her from some quarters when she took the job as I believe she had been a respected journalist. It was obvious that she was going to be required to lie for her boss.

Her credibility is now completely shot. Johnson's very own Kayleigh McEnany (Trumps last press secretary).

Jaxjacky Tue 30-Mar-21 12:28:49

Has she run short of money to kiss and tell to The Mirror now?