Gransnet forums

News & politics

A year of Starmer What do you think?

(617 Posts)
Grany Tue 06-Apr-21 12:38:38

A piece by Jonathan Cook an award winning journalist

www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/keir-starmer-cautious-tearing-uk-labour-party-apart

I suppose Starmer's poll ratings could improve

varian Tue 20-Apr-21 14:05:16

The pub landlord appeared to be totally opposed to lockdowns and blamed KS for them. OK he lost business but I cannot imagine how much worse our pandemic would have been in the UK without lockdowns.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Apr-21 14:23:45

So really, any politician would have annoyed the landlord, he just doesn't agree with lock downs, I am no Starmer fan, but the landlord was not targeting him specifically.

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 14:26:12

Exactly, it was the lockdown impact on his business he was objecting to, not Starmer personally. He didn’t appear to be a man who could be reasoned with. Not news.

MaizieD Tue 20-Apr-21 15:31:06

Casdon

John McDonnell I think.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDonnell

Thanks, Casdon. Just checking because, for all I know, there could have been a highish profile 'MacDonald' in the LP and he was the one being talked about.

There was a lot of deliberate misspelling of McDonnell's name on the anti Corbyn threads of a year or two ago...So I thought I would clarify...

MaizieD Tue 20-Apr-21 15:38:14

trisher

Starmer was thrown out of a pub in Bath by the landlord www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56805144
Perhaps he's learning about phto shoots after all

Saying that Starmer was 'thrown out' makes it sound as though he'd done something reprehensible. I wonder why the phrase was chosen by the MSM?

I was a bit surprised that he went in, TBH, after being subjected to the anti lockdown tirade, but I wonder if he didn't realise that the ranter was actually the pub landlord?

Anyway; Johnson wouldn't have gone anywhere near a pub in a city centre unless it had all been orchestrated beforehand. Are we now in a state where people prefer Johnson because he steadfastly avoids situations where he might be unexpectedly confronted by a member of the general public?

trisher Tue 20-Apr-21 16:16:39

He was "thrown out" MaizieD And actualy if you watch that clip you should realise that the rant comes after the request to leave.
Casdon if you listen to the Landlord he says he has always voted Labour but doesn' regard Starmer as an effective opposition leader. So it was Starmer personally he objected to.
Funny if this had happened to Corbyn there would be so many agreeing with the .landlord

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 16:22:21

He was angry trisher, fundamentally it was about lockdown affecting his business, he was having a go because he had the opportunity, and it was Starmer who was there - anybody would have got it both barrels. The reality is that whoever was in power there would have been the same lockdown imposed, as in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I certainly wouldn’t have agreed with the landlord in this case had Corbyn received the same reaction, and I doubt many others would either.

lemongrove Tue 20-Apr-21 17:29:50

The landlord is an idiot! Because his business has suffered (just like all pubs and bars) he didn’t agree with lockdowns.
It would have been better if Starmer’s ‘people’ had found a pub where the landlord was amenable to a visit really.
I like Starmer and think there is no better leader that Labour could have chosen.Give the man a break! He took over a divided Party and has also to deal with the public’s perception of the Labour Party under Corbyn.They wonder how much has changed and are still suspicious.It will take time.He has time though on his side.Since the Conservatives have been in power for so many many years, it would be surprising if they got in again at the next GE.

Grany Tue 20-Apr-21 17:32:53

trisher

He was "thrown out" MaizieD And actualy if you watch that clip you should realise that the rant comes after the request to leave.
Casdon if you listen to the Landlord he says he has always voted Labour but doesn' regard Starmer as an effective opposition leader. So it was Starmer personally he objected to.
Funny if this had happened to Corbyn there would be so many agreeing with the .landlord

I agree with trisher The man was having a go at Starmer as he failed as an opposition leader holding the government to account I am hearing many saying this and from the blog I shared. And newspaper writing similar, Novara Media on YouTube an alternative to mainstream media Many including myself was willing to back Starmer and hoping he would keep to the 10 pledges he promised he would do but abandoned most.

For me as soon as he came out with I will stamp out antisemitism promised to abide by the Board of Deputies rules, they are a right wing pro Israeli band, their way or no way. They don't speak for all Jews. Starmer said in video in Liverpool before he became leader We know what the media is doing, smearing we won't let them. But Starmer is effectively now weaponising antisemitism against the wrong type of Jews on the left of his party pro Palestine. So in my mind he is untrustworthy.

Young people can see it those who don't rely on MSM So they in polls don't support him, generally though people in polls are giving Starmer the benefit of the doubt.

But he is way down against the Tories Several points behind. But will see how he does in May elections.

Anniebach Tue 20-Apr-21 17:36:23

It took 14 years to move on from Foot, no one can bring the party back to being electable in a year.

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 17:38:06

Hot off the press.
news.sky.com/story/elections-2021-labour-in-touching-distance-of-welsh-parliament-majority-new-poll-says-12281089

Iam64 Tue 20-Apr-21 17:48:21

MaizeD - I wasn’t having a go, I misspelt McDonald in error.

As for the pub landlord, who gave him the right to lose control and attempt to physically push anyone? I would never support the right of anyone to behave as this landlord did. I read his business partner likes Starmer, there are photographs on line of the, enjoying a beer together.

trisher Tue 20-Apr-21 18:01:45

He didn't actually push anyone. He was man-handled by Starmer's security when he went into the pub shouting "Get that man out." Funny isn't it that Starmer needs such heavy security for all Corbyn was hated (supposedly) he managed to walk most places with a very light security presence.
Isn't it a bit elitist to condemn someone for their political opinions? I'm sure I've been reprimanded for not understanding the "red wall" but apparently this man is an idiot- well guess what? there are probably a lot like him.

suziewoozie Tue 20-Apr-21 18:37:30

The version I’ve heard is that there are. two co-owners to the pub. One invited Starmer to visit. Starmer arrived, chatted fir several minutes to customers outside the pub before intending to go in and meet the co-owner who had invited him. That’s when the ranty one turned up.and then tried to stop KS going in.

trisher Tue 20-Apr-21 18:44:56

Oh I think that's true but it's a classic example of how not to do a walkabout. Even Bumbling Boris manages things better.

MaizieD Tue 20-Apr-21 18:47:50

The man was having a go at Starmer as he failed as an opposition leader holding the government to account

He was having a go at Starmer for supporting lockdowns. I'm really not sure how this can be construed as a black mark against Starmer as some 70% plus of the population supports lock downs.

So, trisher, and everyone else rubbing their hands with glee because 'Starmer was thrown out of the pub', how would you have handled this if you were a politician out canvassing?

MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:48:36

trisher. Whose side are you on because you’re doing a pretty good job of selling the Conservative party to people?

MaizieD Tue 20-Apr-21 18:52:13

trisher

Oh I think that's true but it's a classic example of how not to do a walkabout. Even Bumbling Boris manages things better.

How is it a classic example of how not to do a walkabout?

Should he have made sure that the only people he would meet would be Labour supporters who agreed with how he was handling the job of Leader? Are you saying that walkabouts should be completely set up events? Like Johnson's?

trisher Tue 20-Apr-21 18:58:08

Oh come on MaizieD it's a farce. And it wasn't just about lockdown (although I appreciate Starmer is trying to make it so). The man asked why the lack of pandemic preparations wasn't raised and questioned. I didn't see all this criticism when people were slagging off Corbyn. But if you can't laugh at incompetence without being accused of promoting Toryism well democracy is dead.
I'll turn it on it's head. Why are you supporting a Labour leader who can't even do a walkabout without screwing it up?

MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 19:49:59

So the most important thing about a party leader is that they do good walkabouts?

MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 19:54:30

...suppose Keir could have hid behind a pillar.....

Casdon Tue 20-Apr-21 19:59:07

We all saw the same footage. It’s amazing how personal antipathy can influence what you take from it. It was not incompetence by even the most fanciful leap of imagination.

Galaxy Tue 20-Apr-21 20:02:19

I thought he handled a very angry person quite well. It's really not at all being seen as a farce.
Cant speak for anyone else but I am supporting him for a number of reasons , hes intelligent and I like that in a leader and I think he has a chance of making labour electable, however I understand that this is a long term strategy, I think its unlikely he will be PM but he will move the party to electability. A walkabout is really nothing to worry about if you are thinking strategically.

trisher Tue 20-Apr-21 20:10:48

It was often said that Corbyn couldn't organise anything and so was unfit to run the country.Organising a walkabout isn't difficult and anyone who thinks they aren't usually carefully orchestrated is just naive.
Interesting isn't it that questions aren't answered.. Was this Keir's finest moment -well no of course it wasn't. Why won't his supporters admit he screwed up? Perhaps because they sense his position is precarious. And they are so concerned to protect a failing leader that they can't even permit a laugh about him.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Apr-21 20:21:34

Because he didn’t screw up. Can I ask why you hate him so much? I didn’t particularly like Corbyn but I still supported him and acknowledge him to be a good decent person who wanted to do the best for his country. I feel the same way about Keir. He could be raking in the money from his previous profession but chose to go into politics to make the world a better place. I suppose you think he has an ulterior motive. To keep the Conservative government in power forever? Methinks Corbyn did a good job of that.