Gransnet forums

News & politics

A year of Starmer What do you think?

(617 Posts)
Grany Tue 06-Apr-21 12:38:38

A piece by Jonathan Cook an award winning journalist

www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/keir-starmer-cautious-tearing-uk-labour-party-apart

I suppose Starmer's poll ratings could improve

Kapitan Wed 12-May-21 19:55:13

Starmer? Who is Starmer? Never heard them.

Galaxy Wed 12-May-21 20:43:40

It may be shallow of me but lately I have found it a very effective strategy. I know I am on the right path if I am not on the side of the really really crap jokes.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 21:10:02

But Corbyn had a vision and policies and it has resulted in the Conservatives having such a huge majority that we’re facing the end of democracy as we know it.

Kali2 Wed 12-May-21 21:12:36

This MayBee70- memories are short. And a divided Labour, or one with very LW politicies will repat the result.

Dinahmo Wed 12-May-21 23:22:40

I watched Blair on GMB this morning. When talking about KS he said that Labour had had only 3 extreme left wing leaders, each of whom had lost a GE. They are Corbyn, Michael Foot and I'm not certain who the 3rd was.

On the subject of Corbyn's policies, I thought most of them were pretty good but he went too far when he talked about free broadband for everyone.

Just before the GE the LP's policies were put before various focus groups, without the origins being disclosed. In general the focus groups approved them until they were told that they were LP policies, at which point the group members rapidly went off them. MSM at that time rubbished those policies and claimed that they hadn't been properly checked financially. Ironically, Johnson has hi-jacked many of those policies with no one claiming that they wud be too expensive.

misty34 Wed 12-May-21 23:31:15

He's a joke - Nothing more to say.

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 23:35:43

Just before the GE the LP's policies were put before various focus groups, without the origins being disclosed. In general the focus groups approved them until they were told that they were LP policies, at which point the group members rapidly went off them. MSM at that time rubbished those policies and claimed that they hadn't been properly checked financially. Ironically, Johnson has hi-jacked many of those policies with no one claiming that they wud be too expensive.

So are you saying that right-wing Johnson has hijacked many of the policies of Corbyn who was too left-wing for most voters?

Or have I misunderstood?

Dinahmo Thu 13-May-21 00:21:23

Callistemon Yes

Grany Thu 13-May-21 08:36:17

Starmer’s Darkest Days: He Is Simply Not Good Enough

Rachel Swindon Blog

rachaelswindon.blogspot.com/2021/05/starmers-darkest-days-he-simply-isnt.html?spref=tw

Blair and Mandelson those on the right said don't vote for Corbyn. Do vote for Starmer Didn't work out very good so far has it.

Anniebach Thu 13-May-21 08:40:59

Didn’t work out good for Corbyn did it, worse general election
result since 1935

Callistemon Thu 13-May-21 09:36:03

Dinahmo

Callistemon Yes

How enigmatic

PippaZ Thu 13-May-21 10:22:49

Callistemon

^Just before the GE the LP's policies were put before various focus groups, without the origins being disclosed. In general the focus groups approved them until they were told that they were LP policies, at which point the group members rapidly went off them. MSM at that time rubbished those policies and claimed that they hadn't been properly checked financially. Ironically, Johnson has hi-jacked many of those policies with no one claiming that they wud be too expensive.^

So are you saying that right-wing Johnson has hijacked many of the policies of Corbyn who was too left-wing for most voters?

Or have I misunderstood?

These are just my thoughts about where we are after "a year of Starmer" and almost two years of Johnson. They will change - I'm not wedded to them for life.

I have never thought the policies of Corbyn were too left-wing, partly because that is just another of those Tory phrases that have no real meaning. I did find their presentation and the way the LP works almost post-war though. I don't think most none members want to see all the administrative stuff that goes on at conferences, for instance. I admit that the Tories are to the other extreme in theirs though unless you need the supposedly rousing speeches telling you about the new "regime". I also think some people (including me) have a hard time with the power of the unions - although I understand why Labour needs them.

It's a conundrum. The Tories were well past their sell-by date for many young people but the way they have re-invented themselves is terrifying. Labour was trying to reinvent itself pre-Starmer.

I keep wishing the Lib Dems would drop the Liberal bit and just call themselves Democrats and that they would join with the Greens under that name. You could say "what's in a name" but I think there is a lot. Both "Labour" which needed Momentum to grab the young, and "Conservative", which was outdated when I was 20 and has now been taken over by this far-right Tory party could, I believe, lose to a party of Democracy.

Wandering thoughts so if you want to be rude or shout, don't bother - I will ignore you. If you want to play with my thoughts and tell me how you see it, I would love that.

Ilovecheese Thu 13-May-21 10:32:00

The people who did not agree with the policies of Jeremy Corbyn were furious that other members of the Labour party supported him and his policies. They encouraged others to work against the democratically elected leader and to undermine him at every opportunity.
They are now furious that not everyone supports the current leader.

The current Conservative administration have certainly brought out policies (furlough, Nationalisation of the rail network) which would have been torn to shreds had they been suggested by the Labour party.

varian Thu 13-May-21 10:37:43

If Keir Starmer were to champion democracy and make electoral reform a key policy, the Labour Party could save us all from the unelected dictatorship by a right-wing cabal going on and on in perpetuity.

trisher Fri 14-May-21 10:20:36

varian

If Keir Starmer were to champion democracy and make electoral reform a key policy, the Labour Party could save us all from the unelected dictatorship by a right-wing cabal going on and on in perpetuity.

If Keir Starmer were to champion anything it would be a start.

varian Tue 18-May-21 12:02:37

Andrew Grice, wrote in the Independent-

"A progressive alliance between Labour and the Lib Dems would strike fear into the Tories. Keir Starmer might soon have to make his mind up – pressure for reform is building in the Labour grassroots,"

In today's "i" there was a full page article claiming "Divisions on the left are deepening. Attempts to form a grand coalition will only benefit the Tories"

I was amused and rather pleased to see that this article was by Mark Wallace, the chief executive of the "ConservativeHome" website.