Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sophie Wessex

(110 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:09:43

I have long been an admirer of Sophie. I found it very moving to see how much emotion she showed when talking about the DOE. Pleased that the Queen has this lovely lady to support her at this very sad time.

Aveline Mon 12-Apr-21 11:59:41

Sophie didn't make a song and dance about her 'mistake' and try to sue the tabloids or give televised interviews about her hard life nor did she preach to us about conservation while ignoring it herself.
DH has met her and found her to be very pleasant and unassuming. Edward was there too. They are both tiny!
I always liked Fergie.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 12:01:03

trisher absolutely not! It’s far too simplistic an argument to say good royals, bad royals.
As I said previously, public figures are liked or disliked according to what they say or do. It doesn’t matter whether they’re royal or not, simply that they either put themselves out there, or their job requires them to be out there. And people either like them, or they dislike them. The public have every right to form an opinion about anyone in the public eye. If a person dislikes royalty, or a particular member of the royal family, it is their right to express that opinion in a free society. Equally it is the right of anyone to express a liking for a member or members of the RF. If they like one, but dislike another, that is their right. You are expressing your opinion, others are allowed to express theirs.

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 12:04:26

Anne, Camilla, Sophie, Kate have never given interviews about
their private lives .

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Apr-21 12:05:55

I agree about expressing an opinion, but as we have seen on GN and other social media sites this does get out of control and gets downright nasty at times.

Those people should not be encouraged because often what they post is so often speculation or repeated lies together misogyny, sexism or racism. It is sad to see the gutter being swept.

Namsnanny Mon 12-Apr-21 12:23:46

suziewoozie

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s obviously nice that she and Edward were able to re-establish themselves and be such stalwarts - I’m just pointing out they made mistakes and were forgiven.

I dont think they were forgiven
I would say both the RF and ES were being pragmatic.
Their venture into self support failed, so they (both sides) had to try to find a solution within the firm

There is one big difference between ES and HM and that is they didn't whine and lie, and throw their toys out of the pram!

Theyve played the long game and behaved like decent human beings.
Just my view of course.

Aveline Mon 12-Apr-21 12:31:40

And mine Namsnanny

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 12:38:15

And mine Namsnanny

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 12:54:15

There was a lot posted about how Harry needed his dad's support and money but apparently both Edward and Sophie can rely on mum and nothing is said. As for the "didn't whine about the media. It was one story it wasn't a succesion of insults, racist and misogynist headlines about her family, her appearance and her habits.
The point is that they are none of them any better than any of the others. They all have substantial family resources, they all do limited and easy charitable work and make public appearances. Yet some are labelled "good"and some can't do right whatever they do.

Jaberwok Mon 12-Apr-21 12:55:12

It's the content of a person's character that is important, and Sophie Wessex has never given cause for concern, Fergie? I think is a good person at heart, she's certainly embarrassed the RF a very long time ago, but has never personally set out to trash them, neither of these ladies have. M.M? No comment!!

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 13:00:22

Harry chose to give up royal duties and leave the country , only then was paid security removed.
Why should any Met officer be made to live in America?

Edward and Sophie carry out royal duties and live in the UK.

Smileless2012 Mon 12-Apr-21 13:00:57

TBH the only poster I've seen on GN throwing around the comments 'good' and 'bad' royals is you trisher.

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 13:18:18

Perhaps Smileless2012 but if you can find another way of expressing the extraordinary views presnted on Gn about different members of the RF I'd be quite willing to use it. Until then I'll stick to my Good and Bad. I find it abslutely weird that people post such dreadful things about some of them and just applaud others. Some are even moved from one category to another-so Charles and Camilla-Bad Royals for a long tme have metamorphed into Good Royals. Personally I think they are all just over priveleged anachronisms. But honestly to read some of the stuff on GN you'd think people actually knew them instead of just lapping up whatever the media chooses to give them.

AcornFairy Mon 12-Apr-21 13:27:29

Well said Whitewavemark2.

I wonder how some of the snipers on this site would react if they were the object of media attention. Dignity is something that is sadly lacking in these cyber dominated days. But one person maintains dignity: Her Majesty The Queen. A shining example.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:28:24

Smileless2012

TBH the only poster I've seen on GN throwing around the comments 'good' and 'bad' royals is you trisher.

That’s because trisher ( along with some others, she’s not the only one who comments on this shallow binary categorisation) is able to see exactly what happens with individual royals who are clearly divided into goodies snd baddies .

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 13:49:10

I think people on both ‘sides’ blindly follow their own set of beliefs, that’s the way of the world. It’s just that on this particular issue there are unequal sides, which makes the anti-Royal lobby feel they have to shout louder and have the last word in order to make themselves heard. There aren’t winners and losers when it’s about people’s opinions, are there?

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 13:53:02

Casdon

I think people on both ‘sides’ blindly follow their own set of beliefs, that’s the way of the world. It’s just that on this particular issue there are unequal sides, which makes the anti-Royal lobby feel they have to shout louder and have the last word in order to make themselves heard. There aren’t winners and losers when it’s about people’s opinions, are there?

There’s some truth in this. But I think the pro Royalist posts in general demonstrate a much less aware perspective.

Sarnia Mon 12-Apr-21 14:20:00

I have seen Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, a few times at WI events. She is a member of Bagshot WI. She always comes across as a caring lady with no self-importance or sense of entitlement. Sophie accompanied the Queen ( a member of Sandringham WI) and Princess Anne to the National Federation's Centenary at the Royal Albert Hall in 2015. The closeness and sense of family between the 3 of them came across very strongly. Sophie had a fit of the giggles watching the Queen valiantly trying to slice the huge Centenary cake. A lovely lady.

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 14:25:17

It’s not a case of good and bad, it’s what some consider acceptable and some do not.

Some accept as ok Meg complaining that no one asked if she was ok when pregnant whilst she had just met black S.A. woman living in poverty who were having boxing lessons to try to protect themselves from being raped.

I do not.

Writing you are loved on bananas,with cameras at the ready, for abused women

I do not.

For the interview with Oprah !

Dinahmo Mon 12-Apr-21 14:29:28

Seeing as they are under discussion, has anybody watched The Windsors on Netflix? I've found it to be very funny, particularly the Fergie character. Prince Phillip and the Queen aren't in it by the way.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Apr-21 14:29:52

And off we go back to DoS again!!

Anniebach Mon 12-Apr-21 14:38:32

Yes Whitewave good and bad royals spoken of in a post

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 12-Apr-21 14:50:01

I would put money on the Yorks remarrying in a year or so, maybe less.

Alegrias1 Mon 12-Apr-21 14:52:43

I don't like being called anti-anything. I'm pro-republican.

Positive, not negative. I'm not an anarchist grin

Grany Mon 12-Apr-21 14:56:40

@SholaMos1

Prince Andrew should neither be seen nor heard from until he deals with allegations of rape/sexually exploiting 17yr old. Acknowledge his grief but Prince Philip passing wasn't UNEXPECTED & doesn't erase need to DEMAND accountability for his actions

@BBCNews Don't normalise this.

Callistemon Mon 12-Apr-21 14:58:35

There was a lot posted about how Harry needed his dad's support and money but apparently both Edward and Sophie can rely on mum and nothing is said.

That is not quite the same, trisher

E&S have taken on a very large amount of royal duties from HM and the D of E and are, presumably, paid accordingly for their work.

H&M went to live overseas and will not be performing any royal duties so why expect something for nothing? They already had an amassed fortune of their own anyway.

I think it's not a case of good or bad - some have a sense of duty and decency and others perhaps less so.