Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sophie Wessex

(110 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:09:43

I have long been an admirer of Sophie. I found it very moving to see how much emotion she showed when talking about the DOE. Pleased that the Queen has this lovely lady to support her at this very sad time.

Welshwife Tue 13-Apr-21 22:59:57

I think that Prince Edward took over the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme from his father a few years ago - so fitting that he should get the title. The scheme has done a lot of good helping young people aspire to do things. The Princes’ Trust appears to give a lot of assistance to young people also.

JaneJudge Tue 13-Apr-21 22:13:27

Lots of RDA are under threat of closure and have relied not only on volunteers but also on community contributions if you want to support your local one

www.rda.org.uk/donate/

JaneJudge Tue 13-Apr-21 22:09:42

I have met Sophie twice but I hadn't realised she was patron of the RDA now, Princess Anne is still up in the hall of one of ours and the other has a photo of Jo Whiley grin lots of love to you all, get out and volunteering with the ponies, they need you at the moment more than ever smile

Anniebach Tue 13-Apr-21 21:38:39

I can’t recall Fergie launching a televised attack on her in laws.

Did Meg think ‘doing a Diana’ would have won over adoring fans ?

Jabberwok Tue 13-Apr-21 19:19:15

There's a thing Lemongrove, on my kindle its one b, on here, my IPlayer, it's two!! I think it's something to do with having changed my email address ages ago, but either way, it's me!!

lemongrove Tue 13-Apr-21 16:35:17

Jaberwok

It's the content of a person's character that is important, and Sophie Wessex has never given cause for concern, Fergie? I think is a good person at heart, she's certainly embarrassed the RF a very long time ago, but has never personally set out to trash them, neither of these ladies have. M.M? No comment!!

That’s the main difference isn’t it? The setting out to trash the RF on a tv interview with Oprah.The never ending fragile ego whining that they do.
Nobody would have much minded them vanishing off to LA to find a different lifestyle for themselves, and being happy.
But they didn’t and they haven’t.
Btw Jaberwok you appear to have lost a b??

Deedaa Tue 13-Apr-21 15:51:01

I seem to remember Edward and Sophie being hounded by the press before and after they got married. The suggestion was that he was gay and she would be a convenient "cover" for him. They answered that by keeping quiet and carrying on representing the Queen, producing children and appearing perfectly happy. I also seem to remember that the Queen once visited Sophie when she was in hospital, which is pretty much unheard of. It seems to speak volumes about how the Queen feels about her.

Aveline Tue 13-Apr-21 15:33:55

Somehow they make it to the North of Scotland too!

Washerwoman Tue 13-Apr-21 14:37:13

Yep.In the North here and our RDA got a visit.

Rosalyn69 Tue 13-Apr-21 14:02:04

I think Sophie comes over as very genuine and kind and caring. Megan comes over as self serving and “fake”. It’s bad form to be all over Harry as opposed to interacting with the public.

annodomini Tue 13-Apr-21 14:01:42

Is Greater Manchester 'too far north'? I think not, trisher. Princess Anne came to open a training restaurant in a college where I was a governor. She didn't stay very long, but at least she stayed long enough for photographs to be taken.

Aveline Tue 13-Apr-21 13:28:56

Maybe they weren't invited? Just ask and you'll be amazed.

trisher Tue 13-Apr-21 13:27:41

Washerwoman

MIL helped run a Riding for the Disabled centre for years.Princess Anne was and is a fantastic President and supporter.DH has been part of the Princes Trust as a business mentor and seen how lives can be transformed.And yes countless people do unsung charitable works alongside jobs.And those organisations thrive because of hundreds of volunteers .Ask them if they value their Royal Patrons?

I don't think a royal has ever turned up at any event my friends have organised. So I think they would probably just shrug and say they're not relevant. Maybe we are too far North!!

Parsley3 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:12:18

It would be a very poor show indeed if the Royals didn’t do their bit for charities. It gives us something to praise them for.

Washerwoman Tue 13-Apr-21 12:54:50

MIL helped run a Riding for the Disabled centre for years.Princess Anne was and is a fantastic President and supporter.DH has been part of the Princes Trust as a business mentor and seen how lives can be transformed.And yes countless people do unsung charitable works alongside jobs.And those organisations thrive because of hundreds of volunteers .Ask them if they value their Royal Patrons?

trisher Tue 13-Apr-21 09:22:19

Quite a few of them have full time jobs and families as well. No secretaries or servants.

trisher Tue 13-Apr-21 09:20:47

I know quite a few women who have raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charities. They work far harder than any of those royal women and they do it without any recompense, publicity, or privilege.

Anniebach Tue 13-Apr-21 08:02:41

Sophie, Anne, Kate, Camilla, yes the royal family do have women who do much for charities

vegansrock Tue 13-Apr-21 07:57:13

They aren’t on the front pages as they don’t sell papers.

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Apr-21 07:54:37

I agree, she is lovely and has embraced her Royal life beautifully, as has Kate. Sophie and Edward carry out many Royal engagements without being on the front pages. This is how it should be.

vegansrock Tue 13-Apr-21 07:49:32

I think it denigrates those who have won actual medals , but I’m from a military family.

suziewoozie Tue 13-Apr-21 07:29:17

vegansrock

I wonder why Edward wears a chestful of medals but that’s “ceremonial”, i.e. given by your mum.

This is all part of the sheer hypocrisy of it all. Dressing up like Action Men when you have no moral right at all to do so other than your mother’s inherited privilege. Passing meaningless titles around like a sort of party game. Absolute madness, utter madness.

vegansrock Tue 13-Apr-21 06:38:27

I wonder why Edward wears a chestful of medals but that’s “ceremonial”, i.e. given by your mum.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 13-Apr-21 06:11:28

suziewoozie

And she was forgiven for very crass behaviour at one time. I wonder why that can’t be extended to a certain other woman who married in?

Probably because the certain other woman is continuing her crass behaviour and shows no sign of stopping.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 22:35:56

Annie flowers